Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Gary Gygax

Default RIP Gary Gygax

Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, was found dead in his home in the morning of March 4th. He was 69.

Gary is in many ways the father of modern RPG's. He helped create the biggest, and best, paper and pen game on the planet. And most RPG's today bear his mark in some way, every computer based games. Without him, the land of fantasy would not be so bright, so magical, and it wouldn't be the dream we all wish would came true.

Now that is I call a legacy.

EDIT: I now cast 21 Magic Missile Salute!

Whoa, Gary died? I saw all the "Goodnight sweet prince" messages on 4chan, but I thought it was... well, bullshit.

Damn, Gygax is dead. I salute his legacy.

now...

CAST MAGIC MISSILE! (fwoosh)

I was very sad to hear about this. His games were overly mechanical to me, but he started the whole ball rolling with Dave Arneson (who's still alive and kicking) and their actions altered the course of my life in terms of time spent and friends made. Of course, without his creations, I probably would have been a nobel prize-winning botanist or somesuch, but I would have had less fun.

I first saw this on Penny Arcade's comic for the day (www.penny-arcade.com) and I almost cried. ALMOST.

Gary was a great man who facilitated the creation of a cultural phenomenon that has spanned multiple generations as well as creating MANY imitators.

RIP Gary, sleep well. Enjoy the outer planes.

The original Penny Arcade comic, from what I hear he had a dark sense of humor, thus they made this 'knowing' he would probably be laughing at it.

FOOSH!
    Gary...
    without you WoW would never have existed.
    You took away exactly 15 days 12 hours, and 45 minutes of my life.
    Rest in piece.
    God, makes sure you roll 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

FOOSH!
    Gary...
    without you WoW would never have existed.
    You took away exactly 15 days 12 hours, and 45 minutes of my life.
    Rest in piece.
    God, makes sure you roll 21.
    Oh if we're tributing WoW to him, I assume you have an active WoW account, so post your support here:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...03943275&sid=1
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...03672076&sid=1

Who is this Gary Gygax dude that you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by babynaruto1 View Post
    Who is this Gary Gygax dude that you are talking about?
    I will direct your attention back to the first post in the thread that explained reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Babymullet Ver 6.4 View Post
    Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, was found dead in his home in the morning of March 4th. He was 69.

Gary is in many ways the father of modern RPG's. He helped create the biggest, and best, paper and pen game on the planet. And most RPG's today bear his mark in some way, every computer based games. Without him, the land of fantasy would not be so bright, so magical, and it wouldn't be the dream we all wish would came true.

Now that is I call a legacy.

EDIT: I now cast 21 Magic Missile Salute!
    As for what that means, you could find this pretty easily I think on the Web, but the short form is, back in the 70s, he co-created a style of game where you sit around a table each taking on the role of a character in a fantasy setting (like the Tolkien Lord of the Rings books) and play through a story run by a game master. It's not a fantastic example, but they were playing a Dungeons & Dragons in the movie 'E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial' early in the movie before E.T. is discovered.

There are aspects of improv theater, storytelling, but also tactics and random chance (represented by funny looking dice). It's modelling fantasy life, so the game doesn't have a winner or necessarily even an end. Characters develop over time, gaining powers and occasionally getting killed (possibly to be resurrected, or you just have to start a new character). You play for until people want to stop (better if you reach some natural stopping point in the story) and reconvene later to pick up where you left off. A good set of characters can be played for years.

This was something that was pretty big in the late 70s and early 80s when video games were in their infancy and there weren't so many distractions for geeks like myself. After the introduction of Dungeons & Dragons, games modelling other genres popped up all over dealing with spies, superheroes, horror, and even westerns and cartoons. These games lost favor with easier passtimes that push similar buttons, but there's really no substitute for the depth and interaction of real people right in front of you. They take time to play and time to prepare for, so I don't get to do it as much as I'd like, but I have friends I've been playing with since high school and I don't think we'll be stopping any time soon.

That's why we're sad to see Gygax go.