Diaper Database

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree the sheer amount of fields can be daunting, with that said, some measure better than others.
Personally I was hopping for a database with the latest measurements of any particular diaper from a region, so new buyers can decide if that particular pack they are looking at is right for them.

Some people could use samples.. but most have a hard enough time getting that first pack.

In my mind for measurements.. contribte what you can, maybe have it dated with a region too so it's not accidentally editing someone else... IE person in Europe shouldn't be editing the Australian version of the same product. Even some simple data such as.. this dispossable diaper is # inches long is helpful information when compared to having nothing at all...

With regards to be bnet's Diaper DB, I do hope that memebers have an 'export' option should anything happen to the site. On the same note, there should be a page where people can just put unformated information... (cause formatting is annoying for some ^_^) and users better at formatting can simply follow up later on.

Unfortunately having un-formatted data in a database is problematic. By definition, a database needs to have an architecture defined to support query structuring, indexing and analysis. I'm working on ideas to make the database more flexible in how information is stored, while still being usable from an application stand point. Truthfully - I'm sure there will be a lot of revisions along the way before something well fine-tuned is ready. But I feel like we needed a starting point to begin working through the ideas.

Part of the problem is how to handle different data - for instance: I add information for Pampers Underjams and I give them a waist range, for the L, of 22 inches to 28 inches (not realistic data and for example only) but someone else says they are good for 24 to 30 inches. How do we store those variables, relative to the same item (Pampers Underjams Lg) without causing conflict.

So the first rendition of fields might be more "technical" specifications and less "subjective". My hope is to work on developing more subjective data that would allow users to add data to the same products and be part of the available data ---> i.e., " Show me all pull-up style diapers that should fit a waist of 32" and hip of 38" "

As far as exporting data, maybe. It really depends though on how complex the database becomes. I'm looking for a lot more capabilities than just an text file with information - I'm approaching this from more of a "relational database" design / even though it's not using a rational database engine.

... as a side note: I am hoping to have a few more fields to collect data as part of each diaper available tonight. The first variation will be size: Take the Pampers Underjams again (I just like that name) ... You could add a variation for Small/Medium and one for L/XL. Then you defined more detailed technical specification for each individual model ---> because, for instance, some diapers have different colors depending on the size. And some, use different backsheets depending on the size.

I wasn't thinking of added unformated data directly to a DB, more like a forum like posting method where posts are removed as data is either too outdated or migrated to the database under the proper fields.
Breakpoint measurements are subjective.. Some kind of duration would be nice... Underjam's don't last as the sides tears too easily.. Technically we can limit the "fits" category with an abritary minimum time.. like Tear limit*
*Tear limit us what size it can take while worn for at least 4 hours without any signs of tearing (I actually want to say 8 hours, but I don't think most users would wear 1 item for that long.. least not for Diapers with tapes. Underjams, maybe 8 hours as they can sleep in them)

Duration does pose an interesting metric to store... I use to love Underjams. But the sides just don't hold up long enough and they are too short. If I was the proper size demographic - I probably would have wanted my parent to buy them as they tend to be more discrete (so it serves a purpose).

As far as "like a forum", I see what you mean now... I definitely do not want to host a forum - I give a round of applause to the admins and moderators of adisc.org. They have a very daunting task and probably are under-appreciated for the amount of work it takes to maintain a proper forum. ...

Maybe, I could see exposing some sort of messaging system where a visitor could free type information that could be sent to an admin account. My concern would be bots and spammers attacking the ability to freely post, so that still may need to be buried in a membership area.

... Finall got a few new fields added. The individual "diapers" can now have various sizes added that will each contain unique specifications for that size. Still fighting a couple bugs and still trying to decide on an overall approach. But I think progress is being made.

I was under the impression spam bots only posts where things can be seen. Assuming that the free form posting area is post only (can't read) it would make it a poor target.

Initially I was thinking of free form text area with suggested fields a person can type into (this could optionally be locked down... or at least IP logging for blocking purposes)

If worried about automated rapid fire spam, javascript can be used to control the post button, not only to limit the post, but to insert an arbitrary string which is checked for server side before the post is allowed through... IE... on "POST(Click)" -> text.prepend("js_verified") -> submit ... I don't know java script, I rely mainly on PHP side, but it should technically be possible as most bots don't handle javascript very well.

I do wonder how your current DB looks so far, I have to work with DB which changes as management desires over time... biggest hurdle is how to noto have wasted fields since sometimes it's a use once then discarded next year x.x

I think it would be a great idea and I agree that it’ll certainly help a lot of people

I use to program a lot in PHP but have not used that in over a decade... some of my first web ventures were primarily based on PHP though. Perhaps a 'captcha' system could be used to allow guest based posting... I know a lot of people are put off by the idea of having to register with a website because of privacy and security concerns.

As far as how the database looks so far, I'd say not that well structured. I'm needing to have a few good days to work through some query designs to really get an idea on how I want everything stored. My initial intent was to use a NoSQL DB, but the storage I am using now is almost a SQL/NoSQL hybrid - but it will use a lot of the principles from NoSql. I know what you mean about wasted fields - we have plenty of those where I work. I think more and more, however, and especially with NoSQL, the idea of wasting fields is becoming more and more irrelevant. Storage is cheap these days - so more fields, duplicating data (denormalized) are all growing trends.

I really wish I could take a week off work and just work through the db design, api and ui front end to get a really good start on the site.

Any updates?

If you are referring to the site I've been working on... Diapered.life ... Not much new yet. I completely changed how I was hosting, and developing, the site and like the new way a lot better. But the user interface still needs some work; as I find it to be a bit clunky. Technically it can accept new members and those members should be able to add and modify data in the collections.

Unfortunately I had another site I needed to work on and then my actual job has been busy. But I do hope to get some work done over the rest of the year since I will have some vacation coming up.

If anyone has ideas, feel free to email them or ping me on here.

there used to be a site like that way back, diaper world I think it was, they posted photos of the bags, the diapers and had some model wear them.

bnet said:
Unfortunately having un-formatted data in a database is problematic. By definition, a database needs to have an architecture defined to support query structuring, indexing and analysis. I'm working on ideas to make the database more flexible in how information is stored, while still being usable from an application stand point. Truthfully - I'm sure there will be a lot of revisions along the way before something well fine-tuned is ready. But I feel like we needed a starting point to begin working through the ideas.

Part of the problem is how to handle different data - for instance: I add information for Pampers Underjams and I give them a waist range, for the L, of 22 inches to 28 inches (not realistic data and for example only) but someone else says they are good for 24 to 30 inches. How do we store those variables, relative to the same item (Pampers Underjams Lg) without causing conflict.

This in itself may cause conflict.
Assume both persons measured there waist but the 'someone else' has a lightly more barrel style tummy. The same could be thought of different cuts that fit different anatomies. But how would you know?
In the end, assuming the researcher knows their sizes, it will be still trial and error for the fit. What could be done though, is stating that the diaper is slightly larger/smaller than it says on the case.
I've got My Diaper Night Xplus M, for example, but as good as they may be they don't fit me anatomically at all, resulting in way too soon leakage and ripped up tapes.

The problem in it, is always the person who submits the data unless you imply some strict rules on which data you are going to show.
Bear in mind I'm a medium sized person with a relatively flat tummy. I had the Dry 24/7 in both M and S and while the M was a bit oversized, S only just fit but not because of my tummy size but the diameter of my upper legs and the respectively too small cut legholes of the diaper. The next medium person with somewhat tinier legs may fit really well into the Small size but these are all anatomic measures which always only do count for a single person.

Well, that's the problem I see with it anyway.

Even the simple act of saying you are a medium sized person.. what is medium sized?
Even if size is clearly defined in measurements.. sadly humans can curve at different places too.

And if measurements are given in...
Waist, hips, rise, thigh circumference, BMI and relative muscle quanity.. well that is starting to sound more like a fitness index than what this DB is meant for.

Size range is not always a perfect indicator to fitting everyone. I get it’s possibly just as subjective but a field “fits like” would be helpful to me where it lists other products cut to the same shape

e.g

BareBums fits like MyDiaper Nacht

ABU Space fits like ABU Simple, ABU Little Pawz

I love the idea of a database!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back