MyDiaperDepot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I ran into a new retailer in the states you may want to check out. https://mydiaperdepot.com/

At first I was thinking they were just going to be a MyDiaper outlet in the USA, but it looks like they've got different plans. From the owner:
We are currently working on releasing our own diapers with new print designs, enhanced interior style and ultra-absorption properties and will not be reordering from Save Express anytime in the near future. My main focus right now is the new diaper product line which will be marketed under our Trademarked “ColorBottoms” brand. I’m hoping for a release day of October 1. More news regarding the release will be available on the website when we are sure we are locked in on a delivery date. They are going to be a whole new departure from the current adult ABDL printed diapers on the market today and I am anxious to get them started.

I have received samples of the MyDiaper Ultra from the manufacturer in China and they are the same as the current MyDiaper brand but have just slightly elevated absorbency level. No major to really get excited about. My new diapers will be a major shift in diaper design, function and style. I think it will really blow the market away.

We will certainly be selling our own products by the case. The diapers will be 12 to a bag and I’m not sure how many bags we will be packing in a case yet. Following the release of our own diaper product we may be moving the store to a new enhanced location and restocking with all the other vendors ABDL products for our local customers and traveling customers as well. They will also be available for sale on the website. That will most likely take place after Christmas and the first of the year.

Thanks again for you inquiry and interest and I look forward to your discovery of our new diaper product in the coming months

Looks like we have a little while to wait for this new ColorBottoms unfortunately.

NeverKnow said:
Exciting. Wish they could throw us a bone and be a bit more specific about the new features.

What I would like to see emerge in the market are all-over prints which do not merely repeat down the middle. Lil' Stings' Barnyard Baby seem to have pulled this off, but the design is terrible.

Technologically I think it would be pretty simple. It would just be a matter of printing a repeating pattern of the right length on the top sheet, unless there's something I don't understand.

Well it comes on a roll so there's got to be some repetition. Crinklz and Safari both have patterns that take a long time before they repeat, (there are others) but I find closer repeating patterns make it easier for me to get a consistent taping. If the Safari's panel is cut right I know for example that one of the tapes goes on the green part of the parrot's wing.

Diapers like Preschool are also on a roll but it's unrolled horizontally, so the pattern is the placed the same vertically on every diaper, but scrolls sideways at an unpredictable position.

I was just thinking, a lot of diapers have a "long period" to their repetition, either on their full-diaper or tape panel prints. Hmmm maybe I am mis-reading you. You want like a single print for the shell, one giant non-patterned "canvas" type print I think? That'd be hard to pull off. As I said, diaper materials are all on a roll, so you'd have to start the machine at the right spot on the roll, and would have to stop the machine frequently to re-align the pattern. And it would have to be printed for the size of diaper you are making... you'd need a modified print for each diaper size because the length would be different on the different sizes. Sounds like a lot of work.

I don't think any of the diaper machines print diapers sideways, they are cut at the top/bottom between diapers, so the pattern would have to be repeating in that direction for any diaper that is all-over print. (preschool can do sideways because it's just the tape panel that's being applied during manufacture)

I don't know how diaper machines work, at least not to the in-depth level needed to design a non-repeating diaper image.

But I -do- know how printing presses and silkscreening works and that's precisely what I'm going to talk about here.

So, for ease of thinking, I'm going with printing wallpaper for a house. Because book presses/newspaper presses are a bit different. Wallpaper you want a pattern/picture and you want it in the right spot like with a diaper.

A regular 'repeating' pattern is generally easy to do. You make red polka dots and print them out. It doesn't matter so much where the margins are (those are the 'edges') because the person putting the wallpaper up will take care of matching the pattern edges and trimming it to fit. Done. No big deal.

Ok. Now we want not just polka dots but also blue stars with a glitter coating in between them. This is where stuff gets trickier. Red dots and blue stars. OK, we'll run it through to put on the dots. That's done, so now we run it through again for the stars. Oops. The stars printed over the dots. Crap, the design is mis-aligned. Go back and fix it. Once you adjust the printing machine's 'registration', that's working now. Good. Now you make extra sure to print the glitter coating over the stars by lining up the paper into the print machine with the same registration settings.

Now take this headache and apply it x4 to a diaper shell. XD It's got to be long enough and wide enough, which requires 4 differently sized image files (We're going with s, m, l, xl) That's not too hard on the design end of things so long as you're using the right software to make the design. (Vector art can be scaled to any size. *points to her avatar* That's actually vector art. I could make that as big as a billboard and it would look nice and clean.)

The trouble would be when someone screws up at the factory and sends a ton of 'smalls' through with 'large' backing graphics. The whole thing is garbage. No one will buy it and it eats money for wasted product/time/materials.

It's possible, of course, but there aren't a lot of people willing to make the effort to do it.

Of course I am speaking about 'offset printing' and not 'digital printing'. I have some doubts that a high-volume diaper company is going to print digitally. I might be wrong, because like I said I don't know about the 'back end' stuff. But digital printing is usually reserved for small runs, like someone ordering 100 business cards or a wedding planner having 50 place-cards printed. Offset printing is the juggernaut. You want 50,000 posters? You got it. Oh, you sold all of those and need another 25,000? Sure. We still got your plates right here.

Offset printing requires a different plate for each color, then you gotta make sure those are lined up just right. Ever seen a placemat at a restaurant that didn't -quite- match up like it was supposed to? The brown gravy was overlapping the yellow corn? That's why. The plates were off a smidge. Usually in that case it's not a big deal, they'll use them anyway or they'll toss them for recycling and try again. Also in the case of diapers, you need it lined up not just front-to-back but also side-to-side. You can't trim 'dead space' off of a diaper like you can with a poster or placemat.

ANYWAY.

This place is in West Virginia. Never had one close enough and in a direction I might travel to actually visit! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with! :D

*looks back at all that*

Sorry. Graphic design nerd...*goes back to her blanket fort*

at any rate, the only thing that is printed onto the diapers during manufacturing is the lot number, often in the "smears when wet" ink. The shell and tape panel show up at the manufacturing facilities with the art already printed on it. (though the tape panel IS applied to the shell during manufacture)

So whatever you put on either of those has to be able to be acceptable at pretty much any point in the roll, since otherwise you'll be needing to realign the roll every few minutes at the very least due to creep. (those machines can't be precise enough to use exactly xxx millimeters per diaper, to insure the next diaper starts at the exact correct spot on the roll for the start of the next repeating pattern) Videos of those machines in action make it easy to see they are producing 3-5 diapers per second.

As with anything, you cant really believe what anyone says until there is some way to prove the claims, so I will be waiting to see what this new company comes out with and if people say it's worth the money or not; hopefully their products are good enough to reasonably compete with other products at the same price level (it's highly doubtful they will come up with the best products if the price is a lot lower than everybody else competing in the same market)

Great to see more diapers in planning... I really hope MyDiaperdepot knows what they are getting themselves into with specification, design and finally having someone manufacture them. Having a showroom and a great range of products already shows great commitment financially and holistically but manufacturing can break the bank and heart.

I like the look of those Lil’ Stings Barnyard Baby but couldn’t figure out if they are in existence or “coming soon” as they had one photo of a diapee on, the art and then packaging... I would have thought they would have had pics of their diapees stacked(?)

Thanks for posting this. I had not heard of either one. Lil’ stings looks really interesting. Noticed, like already mentioned, just preorder. I had not heard of my diaper depot either. Anyhow thanks again for posting.

I think I might try their brand, Absolute Maxi White Heavy Duty Diaper.

NeverKnow said:
They are definitely still in a preorder phase. I'm not sure whether they've been produced or how they got the picture. Maybe the diapers are in shipment and Lil' Stings was able to get some sooner for promotional reasons? I don't really know how diaper development works. Maybe companies can do a short test run before throwing things into large scale production.

It is weird that they do not have pictures of the diapers stacked or pictures of the back (which in this case would seem to be especially salient).

To me it looks like they have only 1 sample unless it is even a stock photo from the manufacturer and mockup packets.

Fingers crossed this is something that will genuinely happen.

I don’t know this company but am extremely wary of preorders for diapers.

The preview image of the diaper on the person is photoshopped.

Don't believe me? Check the wrinkle-folds in the lower crotch area. The printed images go directly over them when they should disappear into the 'cracks' of the folds. :3 Also appears to be some 'bleed' on the upper right hand tape, like they didn't erase the background cleanly. And look at the edges of the diaper...they're still white.

Not sayin' it's dishonest or anything. Just saying that they probably don't have them in-hand yet and are still working on them. It looks like an artists' 'proof', as in "This is the artwork we want to use, this is what we want the product to eventually look like" They do it all the time for clients. It helps to get an idea of what the final product will look like and lets them make changes before things get too far along.

Those 'print your own' t-shirt places do it, too, for their preview images. They just lay the graphics you want over a stock photo of a blank shirt in the color you picked. ;)

CuddleWoozle said:

Don't believe me? Check the wrinkle-folds in the lower crotch area. The printed images go directly over them when they should disappear into the 'cracks' of the folds. :3 Also appears to be some 'bleed' on the upper right hand tape, like they didn't erase the background cleanly. And look at the edges of the diaper...they're still white.

Not sayin' it's dishonest or anything. Just saying that they probably don't have them in-hand yet and are still working on them. It looks like an artists' 'proof', as in "This is the artwork we want to use, this is what we want the product to eventually look like" They do it all the time for clients. It helps to get an idea of what the final product will look like and lets them make changes before things get too far along.

Those 'print your own' t-shirt places do it, too, for their preview images. They just lay the graphics you want over a stock photo of a blank shirt in the color you picked. ;)

Can I take you to every website before I buy anything in future? I’ll bring ice cream and cookies!

Argent said:
Can I take you to every website before I buy anything in future? I’ll bring ice cream and cookies!

*giggles*

When you use Photoshop for so much stuff, you learn to be able to pick the tiny 'tells' that show you were using it. It's like how a grizzled old detective can tell someone is lying to him even when the younger detectives are going "But, I believe them when they say they didn't do it." XD Old guy has seen it all before. And that's why he knows woozle stole the cookie from the cookie jar.

NeverKnow said:
bambinod said:
Well it comes on a roll so there's got to be some repetition. Crinklz and Safari both have patterns that take a long time before they repeat, (there are others) but I find closer repeating patterns make it easier for me to get a consistent taping. If the Safari's panel is cut right I know for example that one of the tapes goes on the green part of the parrot's wing.

So when the Safari print repeats, it repeats precisely enough that you can use it for tape placement? Wouldn't that indicate that diaper length over time is virtually constant?

It doesn't vary left-to-right, but of course scrolls vertically. So the green of the parrot's wing for example is always the same distance IN, but it can be quite a distance DOWN from the top of the diaper. Sometimes it's close enough to eyeball up at the top near where the tape panel ends where I ttach the tapes. Other times, not really. The pattern repeats vertically, but it's what, around 4-6 inches I think, and it can be anywhere in that range on a diaper.

I wear tykables little builders for my wear-to-wor diaper, and they (like a lot of others it seems) have a wavy line on the sides about where the tapes go. So they wave in and out and make a bit of a moving target too. If the wave is all the way in toward the middle, the tapes need to come in for me about 1/2" inside the wave. But if the diaper happens to be cut where the wave is out a bit or all the way, I again kind of have to eyeball it. They must have their machine adjusted fairly well because all the diapers in a given bag usually have the wave in the same place, so the pattern must repeat exactly for size large anyway.

Few diapers have a consistent tape panel. Carousel are a good example. When I was wearing them more regularly, I knew exactly where to stick the tapes because the front panel was always the same from one diaper to the next.

- - - Updated - - -

CuddleWoozle said:

They're not doing it to be dishonest. It's about cost. Models are not cheap. You get a few good product shots and pay a bunch, and then if you have a new pattern (like tshirts for example) you just set the new T on a mat and photograph it and copy-paste it over a copy of the model shot. Saves a TON for tshirt sellers, that are constantly getting new patterns in. That's why the model shots are all in exactly the same pose from one T to the next.

A lot of the ABDL shops we like though seem to be doing unique model shots for each of their products. One of them has a belly-button piercing I see a lot ;)

bambinod said:
They're not doing it to be dishonest. It's about cost. Models are not cheap. You get a few good product shots and pay a bunch, and then if you have a new pattern (like tshirts for example) you just set the new T on a mat and photograph it and copy-paste it over a copy of the model shot. Saves a TON for tshirt sellers, that are constantly getting new patterns in. That's why the model shots are all in exactly the same pose from one T to the next.

A lot of the ABDL shops we like though seem to be doing unique model shots for each of their products. One of them has a belly-button piercing I see a lot ;)

Did I not just say that? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I said that. ;D *points towards the bottom of her post*

CuddleWoozle said:
I don't know how diaper machines work, at least not to the in-depth level needed to design a non-repeating diaper image.

But I -do- know how printing presses and silkscreening works and that's precisely what I'm going to talk about here.

So, for ease of thinking, I'm going with printing wallpaper for a house. Because book presses/newspaper presses are a bit different. Wallpaper you want a pattern/picture and you want it in the right spot like with a diaper.

A regular 'repeating' pattern is generally easy to do. You make red polka dots and print them out. It doesn't matter so much where the margins are (those are the 'edges') because the person putting the wallpaper up will take care of matching the pattern edges and trimming it to fit. Done. No big deal.

Ok. Now we want not just polka dots but also blue stars with a glitter coating in between them. This is where stuff gets trickier. Red dots and blue stars. OK, we'll run it through to put on the dots. That's done, so now we run it through again for the stars. Oops. The stars printed over the dots. Crap, the design is mis-aligned. Go back and fix it. Once you adjust the printing machine's 'registration', that's working now. Good. Now you make extra sure to print the glitter coating over the stars by lining up the paper into the print machine with the same registration settings.

Now take this headache and apply it x4 to a diaper shell. XD It's got to be long enough and wide enough, which requires 4 differently sized image files (We're going with s, m, l, xl) That's not too hard on the design end of things so long as you're using the right software to make the design. (Vector art can be scaled to any size. *points to her avatar* That's actually vector art. I could make that as big as a billboard and it would look nice and clean.)

The trouble would be when someone screws up at the factory and sends a ton of 'smalls' through with 'large' backing graphics. The whole thing is garbage. No one will buy it and it eats money for wasted product/time/materials.

It's possible, of course, but there aren't a lot of people willing to make the effort to do it.

Of course I am speaking about 'offset printing' and not 'digital printing'. I have some doubts that a high-volume diaper company is going to print digitally. I might be wrong, because like I said I don't know about the 'back end' stuff. But digital printing is usually reserved for small runs, like someone ordering 100 business cards or a wedding planner having 50 place-cards printed. Offset printing is the juggernaut. You want 50,000 posters? You got it. Oh, you sold all of those and need another 25,000? Sure. We still got your plates right here.

Offset printing requires a different plate for each color, then you gotta make sure those are lined up just right. Ever seen a placemat at a restaurant that didn't -quite- match up like it was supposed to? The brown gravy was overlapping the yellow corn? That's why. The plates were off a smidge. Usually in that case it's not a big deal, they'll use them anyway or they'll toss them for recycling and try again. Also in the case of diapers, you need it lined up not just front-to-back but also side-to-side. You can't trim 'dead space' off of a diaper like you can with a poster or placemat.

ANYWAY.

This place is in West Virginia. Never had one close enough and in a direction I might travel to actually visit! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with! :D

*looks back at all that*

Sorry. Graphic design nerd...*goes back to her blanket fort*

Most high speed printing machines can't use a silk screen or press because those aren't fast enough. instead, they are printed by using a large roller printer. Think of it as a sort of round rubber stamp, the ink is applied on the top side of the roller and as it rolls around it is pressed into the material at the bottom. Multiple rollers are used for multiple colors. This is why sometimes one color can be spaced a little bit off while the other colors are aligned correctly- because that one roller is slightly miss-aligned.

It's actually more complicated than that, but you should get the idea. And the size of the roller will determine how soon the images repeat (usually sized to be the same circumference distance as the length of the diaper). They are printed onto one very long sheet of plastic, and the dries very quickly. The plastic is then aligned up so it gets cut at just the right spot for every diaper to be nearly the same. If you have 5 minutes, take a look at this video. It shows how baby diapers are made, but adult diapers are generally made the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkdAOhnrGyw

CuddleWoozle said:
Did I not just say that? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I said that. ;D *points towards the bottom of her post*

I dunno, you appear to have cookie crumbs on your paws.... Oh wait where you said not in their hands yet :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back