Do diaper covers work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

podmuse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I’ve never personally used them. I don’t really care for onsies and i keep some cloth diapers just in case. I’ve seen some people wear disposables and then wrap a cloth diaper cover over them. Does that help prevent leaks or smells? Usually I’ll put a pair of underwear over mine.

simple answer yes. Disposables over cloth cause of the design of a disposable around the sides that will leak for sure.

Yes it works. The diaper cover will help you to notice any leaks before they become outwordly noticable. The cover does also help contain any potentially bad smells. And with a good and quite cover material, it will also muffle any diaper crinkling noise.

Yes. Normal clothing-->cloth diaper, plastic pants and a onesie. Then shirt, pants, and outer wear.

Diaper covers totally work. I always use them, when going out. A good tight cover may even boost the diaper's capacity, by letting it distribute liquid more evenly.

Of course it does i always wear PVC pants when outside & havent had one leek so far even with a full load of nr 2

If I am in cloth or disposables,at night, i use a nice soft vinyl diaper cover from Babykins.

Missy1 said:
Of course it does i always wear PVC pants when outside & havent had one leek so far even with a full load of nr 2

@Missy: I'm with you on the use of PVC (plastic) or rubber pants or bloomers when out and about or overnight. Very rare to have leaks -- I can't even remember the last one.

podmuse said:
I’ve seen some people wear disposables and then wrap a cloth diaper cover over them. Does that help prevent leaks or smells?
I already use diaper covers, but they are not absorbent inside. Any leaks remain liquid and can get out if leg openings are disturbed.

So, I was wondering the same thing about wearing a thin cloth diaper in-between. Or maybe a cover with a built-in absorbent lining (I guess that would be a thin all-in-one cloth diaper.)

The problem I see in this is that the folding cloth diapers don't seem to very well cover the leg-opening area, which is the main source of leaks from disposables. Is this true? Would a light all-in-one be better? I know almost nothing about cloth, so I could use some product advice. Thanks!

I suppose a cloth diaper with a built in diaper cover would work, but that added to your disposable diaper is going to make it all very bulky and possibly very hot during the summer months. If there are leaking problems, I would suggest wearing a PUL plastic pant, but of course, they don't absorb, only block and hold a small amount of liquid. They too can become overwhelmed and leak. You could wear a very light weight cloth diaper over your disposable and then a PUL pant, but that too is gong to contribute to bulk.

If your disposable is leaking, you might want a higher capacity disposable. Taping the diaper might be a problem area as well. The right disposable shouldn't leak until it is overwhelmed as any diaper combination will leak if there it more liquid than it can handle.

dogboy said:
... but that added to your disposable diaper is going to make it all very bulky and possibly very hot during the summer months.
Oh I forgot to mention: I'm mostly talking about nighttime use where bulk doesn't matter.
dogboy said:
If your disposable is leaking, you might want a higher capacity disposable.
Due to my medical issues I pee a *ton* in my sleep. So I do use high-end disposables with a PUL cover. As a result leaks usually don't happen but I really hate it when it does. And so, an extra layer of backup would be good for peace of mind.

So my next question is where do I find the kind of light cloth diaper you're talking about? Either just cloth for use with the cover, or an all-in-one. I have no idea. And are there any that have elastic leg gathers that will fully go over a disposable? Thanks!

dogboy said:
I suppose a cloth diaper with a built in diaper cover would work, but that added to your disposable diaper is going to make it all very bulky and possibly very hot during the summer months. If there are leaking problems, I would suggest wearing a PUL plastic pant, but of course, they don't absorb, only block and hold a small amount of liquid. They too can become overwhelmed and leak. You could wear a very light weight cloth diaper over your disposable and then a PUL pant, but that too is gong to contribute to bulk.

If your disposable is leaking, you might want a higher capacity disposable. Taping the diaper might be a problem area as well. The right disposable shouldn't leak until it is overwhelmed as any diaper combination will leak if there it more liquid than it can handle.

A booster or insert, worn between the diaper and the diaper cover can work, too. It will catch leaks at the legs. Also, vinyl or rubber pants that cover more area, such as bloomers, can prevent the wicking or leaks quite well.

I use normal underwear over my disposable diaper during the day, and then a gary active wear pul pant. The underwear absorbs any smaller leaks from my diaper if it happen to leak, and the pul pant makes sure that wetness stays inside. This combination does not create more bulk.

I use the gary activewear pul pants as well. I turn them inside out so the nylon layer is on the inside. The nylon is able to absorb a small amount of pee, while still helping me to notice the leak sooner.

Padded53 said:
Carol: "Flour Sack Cloths" (5 for $5 at WalMart) work great for absorbing floods.
Interesting Idea, but my problem is not with flooding [Edit:I'd said I pee a ton but I'm talking cumulative]. I have a really small bladder (effectively). It may be laying in the wrong position during sleep. I also notice that much of the diaper can be dry, yet it leaks out the back because the wetness is all going to one spot.

In any case, the leaks aren't large, and usually don't happen at all. Maybe NotTheAverageMan has the right kind idea with the underwear/etc. over the disposable and under the PUL. I'd have to buy some oversize men's tighty-whitetys', but that would be really weird. Dunno. I'm still open to suggestions if y'all have any.

carol said:
Interesting Idea, but my problem is not with flooding [Edit:I'd said I pee a ton but I'm talking cumulative]. I have a really small bladder (effectively). It may be laying in the wrong position during sleep. I also notice that much of the diaper can be dry, yet it leaks out the back because the wetness is all going to one spot.

In any case, the leaks aren't large, and usually don't happen at all. Maybe NotTheAverageMan has the right kind idea with the underwear/etc. over the disposable and under the PUL. I'd have to buy some oversize men's tighty-whitetys', but that would be really weird. Dunno. I'm still open to suggestions if y'all have any.

Hi. I order my cloth diapers from Amazon as they carry Leakmaster, Gary and other brands. With the Leakmaster brand, they should say "day weight" or "Night weight". The day weight would be the lighter, thinner ones and I think they would work for you. You also should get some plastic pants. The PUL style are somewhat breathable and you can wash them in the washing machine. With any kind of plastic pants, never put them in a dryer but hang them on a plastic hanger and let them air dry. I use baby diaper pins for my cloth diapers but there are other things you can use as well. I think Amazon has it all, kind of an all in one place convenience. I've observed that Gary must manufacture the Leakmaster brand, which is a very good, high quality brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back