Bigger diapers for kids, why a petition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland007

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
In recent posts people mention and petition for larger diapers for kids. A small look at the catalogs of Tena or Abena or others show that there is a continuous line of products that begins at XXS to XS to S etc. So it looks like you can continue after size 6.

Based on this I conclude that availability ( factory side ) is not an issue. Then what is the real issue? Pricing? Availiability in retail? Insurance?

Have a nice day.

My guess would be lack of availabliy in stores, as not everyone has access to the internet and a credit card to order the diapers they are wanting.
It would also be my guess that there would be more underage persons buying the larger size baby diapers to which I would have no problem with, as I see it, it’s up to the pre-adults to accept being in diapers as a teenager as normal before society openly accepts adults in diapers.

Availability in stores would be the biggest problem, a secondary problem is maybe they really don't want to wear a "medical style" diaper.

BabyTyrant said:
Availability in stores would be the biggest problem, a secondary problem is maybe they really don't want to wear a "medical style" diaper.

I rather doubt most kids that need diapers want to wear them, and will strongly prefer anything that looks as far from being a diaper as possible. That's why we have things like goodnights that are made to look like boxers.

I want better options for kids with disabilities & illnesses, besides medical diapers, even if bigger sizes were available online.

Another thing is better quality = higher cost, and not everyone has the money to buy higher quality items (of any kind), so diapers would naturally be the same way

Yes, apparently they've been making 'youth' sizes for a long time, but not many people know about them and they aren't carried in stores very often because people don't know about them and don't purchase them. See the vicious circle there? XD

CuddleWoozle said:
Yes, apparently they've been making 'youth' sizes for a long time, but not many people know about them and they aren't carried in stores very often because people don't know about them and don't purchase them. See the vicious circle there? XD

If a child needs diapers, and goes to the docter first, he/she will get a presciption for the farmacie. The farmacist knows about the existence and will give the child/parent samples to try. After that, a subscription is made and the kid will get the required diapers.

And thats how it works in most parts of Europe, because in Europe, you can’t buy decent diapers in drugstores. In northern Europe diapers are on prescription but free because they are in the standard health insurance.

In southern Europe, ( France, Spain, etc) you can buy wallgreen quality adult diapers in supermarkets, but even here: good quality only after prescription at a pharmacist.

So, i understand, its a money thing. There is no money to be made in diapers for kids ( simply not enough kids ), so shops won’t make them and sell them.

Roland007 said:
So, i understand, its a money thing. There is no money to be made in diapers for kids ( simply not enough kids ), so shops won’t make them and sell them.

Yeah shelf space is a limited and valued resource in any store. They have to pick and choose what they carry and put on display. Walmart here must sell a fair amount of adult diapers because they ferquently put them in the middle-of-the-main-aisle bins for highest exposure.

You'd be surprised how few parents realise there are more sizes and betteer diapers available online. They only see in stores where diapers stop for small children and don't pick up sizes again till they are young adults. To these people, there is an obvious gap that completely excludes older kids and teens. Hence the petition.

Well, generally speaking shops dont make the diapers anyways, the closest they get is if they have a manufacturer package diapers with the store name or whatnot on the packaging.

As far as money in sales, older children and smaller teens/adults are a small market segment compared to babies (pretty much universally in diapers until 2-3 years of age if not more), and full grown/big adults (and especially the elderly), it's like this; why make 5 million into 10 million if you can make 5 million into 50 million?

BabyTyrant said:
Well, generally speaking shops dont make the diapers anyways, the closest they get is if they have a manufacturer package diapers with the store name or whatnot on the packaging.

As far as money in sales, older children and smaller teens/adults are a small market segment compared to babies (pretty much universally in diapers until 2-3 years of age if not more), and full grown/big adults (and especially the elderly), it's like this; why make 5 million into 10 million if you can make 5 million into 50 million?

My point exactly. That petition will not work for the reasons you describe. Its all about profit.

It’s pretty weird frustrating to my mind, while I get it from 0-2 most babies in the western world will be in disposable diapers and 2-4 still lots will be either in training pants or a combination of diapers and training pants from 4+ the supermarket target group is the 10% and decreasing by the year market of kids still needing protection overnight.

The number of kids 4+ that may always need protection may not be 10% of people out there but they are going to need products possibly for their whole lives rather than the 0-4 range.

I hope with internet shopping becoming a norm ABU or some other fabulous company launches proper size 7 & 8 nappies (with the vague idea size 9 = current adult small) and they are more readily available with greater acceptance.

Lol just realised a longtime ago I ranted that babies got fabulous nappies and we bigger people only had limited often terrible products available and now I think we have incredible products (sure even niche) while there is a big gap in quality products for kids.

Roland007 said:
My point exactly. That petition will not work for the reasons you describe. Its all about profit.

But still they have reasons for wanting companies with more readily available products to make bigger products so

1. They can just go to the store

2. Hopefully it would be cheaper

So they are still gonna try to get companies to make those products

There's definitely a gap in the market, and many who cannot be toilet trained at the normal age (or just big for their age) grow out of baby nappies before they stop needing them. I saw a campaign here a couple of years ago and I think some supermarkets do stock size 7 nappies now.

Moving straight to adult incontinence products is expensive and harder in terms of them being readily available, and there probably are size gaps in the ranges.

I think it would be great if they were seen as one product rather than two. Nappies for all ages and sizes, under the same brands.

Sure, the companies will not get rich off of size 8 diapers, but it sure would help a lot of parents of special needs kids, and that loyalty will help the company.
I'm old school, but I believe if you take care of your customers, the customer will help you in return, and other items can help offset the lesser sold items.
I think people ard going to *Wild Larry's College of Business, to learn how to screw your customers, and only listen to Wall Street & political views.

*Not a real school, but it sure seems like it is.

I picked up s package of “parents choice “ stage 7 baby diapers for 41 + lbs, and for the life of me I just don’t see how something that small is going to fit a 4 to 6 year old who still needs diapers. I grew up in Pampers wingfold diapers and remembering that the toddler size back than was a lot bigger diaper, all be it not nearly as adsorbant as today’s diaper is with SAP.

Some people want diapers that are marketed to kids that will fit them. I read posts here from adults that would rather wear a baby diaper that barely fits than and adult diaper that would give better protection. i would just bet that if some company made an adult pull-up that looks and feels like a toddler pull-up those people would not buy it because it is marketed for adults and not kids.

buddylee said:
Some people want diapers that are marketed to kids that will fit them. I read posts here from adults that would rather wear a baby diaper that barely fits than and adult diaper that would give better protection. i would just bet that if some company made an adult pull-up that looks and feels like a toddler pull-up those people would not buy it because it is marketed for adults and not kids.

If it functioned well, too, I would -totally buy it-. XD

buddylee said:

Larger size diapers for older kids that need them, is top most priority. After that, it's bonus points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back