Any Ideas for Landing Strip Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dork

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have noticed that the tape landing panel is held in place really well on most diapers. If someone was interested in removing it without destroying the diaper, how would they go about such a task?

Sometimes you can remove stickers and bandaids easier by wetting a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and wiping the sticky edge as you slowly pull it up. That separates a thin bead of glue from the surface it's stuck on to, and allows you to pull up the sticker a slight bit more so you can wipe it again and repeat. This might work as well, though I myself haven't tried it on those diaper panels.

Another option to consider is to just buy diapers that don't have those panels in the first place.

Might try heat from a hair dryer?

I tried this, on the Crinklz Rev 1, the tape panel was clear with big characters on it, stuck down onto a heavily printed on shell, with the the predicable effect of confusing the graphics.

I used a precision heat gun and was able to completely remove the tape panel without damaging the shell. (stretched a tiny bit here and there tho)

But the adhesive did NOT stay on the tape panel, it splt 50/50 with the shell, so now the shell was super sticky. Ended up placing some clear packing tape over it to cover the sticky.

I don't know if this is the luck you'd have with other diapers, but for these that did NOT work.

I suppose at that point one could use GooGone, but that stuff itself is pretty aggressive, I don't know if the plastic shell would survive.

And then you have to remove the GooGone because it leaves behind an insanely lightweight smelly oil, so I usually have to use soapy water to cut the oil.

The removal of the panel was traumatic enough, I don't think it would survive a Goo-Gone round.

bambinod said:
I tried this, on the Crinklz Rev 1, the tape panel was clear with big characters on it, stuck down onto a heavily printed on shell, with the the predicable effect of confusing the graphics.

I used a precision heat gun and was able to completely remove the tape panel without damaging the shell. (stretched a tiny bit here and there tho)

But the adhesive did NOT stay on the tape panel, it splt 50/50 with the shell, so now the shell was super sticky. Ended up placing some clear packing tape over it to cover the sticky.

I don't know if this is the luck you'd have with other diapers, but for these that did NOT work.

I suppose at that point one could use GooGone, but that stuff itself is pretty aggressive, I don't know if the plastic shell would survive.

And then you have to remove the GooGone because it leaves behind an insanely lightweight smelly oil, so I usually have to use soapy water to cut the oil.

The removal of the panel was traumatic enough, I don't think it would survive a Goo-Gone round.

How long did it take with the heatgun?

Why not just pick another brand?

... why go through such a daunting task? Why not pick another kind of diaper?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

for me it was just a challenge to see if it was possible. When the first Crinklz came out they had the most amazing diaper shell art available, and it was a real shame to see them plaster the front panel on there and overprint on the front like that. TBH I wasn't expecting it to work, but I wanted to give it a try. I was expecting I'd be unable to get the front panel off without completely ripping up or melting the shell, so when I managed it I was surprised the incredible amount of adhesive that had been left behind. So against the odds I succeeded, and yet failed....

and it was only one diaper, so not a big deal. I probably spent a half an hour with the heat gun, moving slowly. The nozzle I was using was only 1/2" wide and the temperature was precision regulated, but it was still challenging to not melt the panel or the shell as I worked to slowly separate them. The biggest problem I had is the shell stretched when warmed up, and it was a battle to get the adhesive warm enough to release without heating the shell up enough to simply stretch and move instead of the panel peeling up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back