Can you be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mayhem said:
Either the company performed an illegal action, you didn’t properly read and comprehend the papers, and/or you did not know your rights. Unfortunately you wouldn’t have much ground to stand on if you were to file legal actions against them. I would chalk it up as a learning experience for the future.

I fully understood the ADA forms I filled out as in bold print it stated failure to disclose any and all disabilities would be grounds for dismissal.
My previous employer of 31 years had no problem with my disabilities and even asked if I needed any special accommodations, the only things I asked for was a locker and the ability to change if and when the need arose.
My current employers have only been informed of my lack of vision and hearing, I’ve said nothing about my incontinence and do not plan on it unless necessary.

Well, look at it this way, clearly they knew you couldn't be fired for disabilities, so they lied and put down on paperwork that it was because your "services were no longer required", they knew what they were doing was wrong and could get them in trouble if there were honest, so they lied.

lonnie said:
I fully understood the ADA forms I filled out as in bold print it stated failure to disclose any and all disabilities would be grounds for dismissal.

Then you didn’t understand your rights. Also, the bold print cannot be used against you. That is discrimination and against the ADA regulations and simply against the law. Many people donot know what qualifies as a disability and therefor cannot be held accountable. We’re not all doctors.

Okay.. blood is a much more hazardous bodily waste than urine. Blood can contain HIV, Hep, etc etc; Urine is sterile.. at most can contain some kind of bacteria if someone has a UTI. Many women under the age of 40(ish) wear pads for one week every month.. There is no way one could be terminated for wearing/wetting diapers if women are allowed to wear pads. Granted if you are obnoxious about it, they can fire you for some unrelated reason.. OR if you work in an industry where your image is important, there may be some language in a contract for employment that could be used to terminate you .. OR could be your boss just thinks it's icky, and finds an excuse to can you. But no.. technically they can not fire you for wearing diapers, nor make you prove a need to wear them.

Business need a minimum threshold of employees and revenue to be required to comply with ADA and certain HIPPA regulations/laws. So if you worked for a really small business/employer many laws and regulations do not apply to them. For instance farmers don't need to meet the federal minimum wage requirement, the is an example of certain laws not applying to certain employers.
Certain employers could fire you or not hire also without any legal ramifications depending on the job. For instance I once had a job where I had to inspect masonry and had to be up on the scaffolding from 5 AM to 7 PM Monday through Saturday. And there was no means of getting down from there individually, the only way to get down would require the stoppage of all work for 2 hours to allow one person to get down. As such incontinence or needing diapers or feminine products would be problematic and is likely the reason why no one up there was a woman or incontinent. There would be absolutely no way to change for 14 hours or more depending on how high up you were it could take almost 45 minutes to get up or down. Also people with other special needs or medical conditions would not be hired for safety reasons as well.
Certain work situations supersede ADA and HIPPA because safety dictates that the employer or other personnel know of your conditions.

ADA and HIPPA regulations can only shield you so much, at the end of the day if you are not legitimately incontinent I would not advise you feign incontinence nor wear anything more than what is absolutely necessary if you do have a legitimate condition. Ie wear slim pull-ups if you can get by instead of ABDL thick diapers. And as said before ultimately even if they don't say they fired you because of a diaper they can make up a million other reasons and you will have no recourse.

I don't know for sure, but I'm 99.9% positive that you can not get fired for that.

xpluswearer said:
If you are at a place of employment with a AT WILL EMPLOYMENT contract yes you can be fired just for showing up to work they can use any excuse in the book to get rid of you from cutting staff to a myriad of other things.

If you're at will, they don't need a book at all, let alone any excuse. If I was counseling the employer, I'd advise not to provide any rationale whatsoever. (Of course, they never ask the lawyers before they say or do something stupid, and then they spend months and $$ dealing with that. But hey, pays my mortgage... ;))

- - - Updated - - -

mayhem said:
That is against HIPPA’s patient privacy act as well as the ADA (American eh disabilities). No, they cannot legally do that and could be sued for doing so.

HIPAA restricts what a treating physician can disclose without authorization, it doesn't prohibit an employer from asking for documentation and requesting the employee authorize release of medical records, if necessary. (I haven't researched lately, but I'd expect there's a "bonafide occupational requirement" carve-out for patient privacy. E.g., the airline gets to get copies of your medical records to ensure you're not going to, say, pull a GermanWings.)

Likewise, the ADA (where applicable) might bar an entity from firing you rather than make reasonable accommodations for a disability, but (a) you actually have to have a disability (OP's post specified a situation where the wearer did not "have a medical need"), and (b) you have to request - and be denied - reasonable accommodation. (Examples of situations where no reasonable accommodation would enable employment: Blind bus driver or airline pilot ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back