Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyqwerty

Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
If I walk into a medical supply store and purchase diapers as a young male... will I get funny looks by the cashiers or employees? Are diapers a common purchase there ? Will they ask questions?

qwertyqwerty said:
If I walk into a medical supply store and purchase diapers as a young male... will I get funny looks by the cashiers or employees? Are diapers a common purchase there ? Will they ask questions?

We often think that other people will instantly recognize us as ab/dl, but actually they don't, neither they care. So many people buy diapers for their elderly parents and grandparents, so it's absolutely normal.

Confidence in those situations also minimize suspicions. So act normal :D

all I am buying is some diapers lol. One older lady walked up to me once and asked if I needed help, I just said just looking , she gave me some weird looks and said sure if you need anything I’m here. Lol ... if they ask should I just say my mother needs some pads for a chair or something???

There are young incontinent people, and these people will be aware of that. They may even be aware of ABDL people, but I doubt that's the first thing that comes to mind. My guess is that she was reacting to the fact that you were "just looking." They probably don't get a lot of that in a medical store, let alone at the area of the store that carries incontinence products. This isn't a Best Buy; no one is just browsing at a medical supply store.

Bottom line: That interaction stuck with you, but not with her. She is not talking about the "strange young man who came in . . . " To her, it was no big deal.

-RMS

A question to you: why do you fear the looks received from inconsequential people?

That’s true I probably won’t see them after the purchase . What brands do they typically carry? It’s the same fear I had about purchasing them at Walmart but the cashier didn’t say anything at all.

They won't care, it probably isn't very common, but there are young people incontinent for different reasons such as different types of birth defects.

qwertyqwerty said:
That’s true I probably won’t see them after the purchase . What brands do they typically carry? It’s the same fear I had about purchasing them at Walmart but the cashier didn’t say anything at all.

I would expect a medical supply store to carry things such as Molicare, Abena, Dry 24/7, and Seni Quatros, when I last tried these brands Molicare was the start of a good diaper, and Seni Quatros were the best medical style I've tried; the other 2 fall in between like I placed them; that was probably a good 3 years ago though and some diaper brands have gotten worse in recent years.

Most will have to order them they usually only carry a limited supply if any. Depending on the store you may get lucky and get a decent diaper after a sales rep makes a calling on the store other than that expect low end stuff really. Even if you visit mom & Pop pharmacies its a 50/50 chance of finding something of any real value there. may as well do your ordering online and save yourself the time and hassle and wear and tear on your automobile or what ever your choice of transportation is. Most of them will only have a small area of the store saved for absorbent diapers more space is reserved for cath's and urinals and compression hosiery..Better odds at a Vegas Slot Machine.

I have purchased some nappies before from Walmart when i first moved to the US. I just simply used the self-scan checkouts to avoid contact with a cashier. I did see a better standard of nappy in a Walgreens, but there was no there was no self service check-out.

Looking back, I could have purchased another product I had no intention of using to accompany the nappies to further distance the thought that the nappies were for me. At the time I couldnt think of anything. But the only thing I can think of now is denture cream lol. Anyone think of any other cheap products?

im scared to try a medical store, i mostly do self checkout at cvs

We actually have a couple of smaller pharmacies that cater to the medical supply side of it. They'll order things in for you if you want them specifically, but it'll probably cost more than just ordering them yourself online if you know what you want.

The lady was probably going to offer to help you figure out what you needed, honestly. It's what I would do if someone was staring down a wall of padding and looking a little lost. ;)

Some issues can get by with only pads, others need pull-ups for more coverage, still more need the tape-up kind. It's kinda a 'baby bear, mama bear, papa bear' thing. And when you're first trying to figure out what you need it's rather difficult without some help. (I know, I went through it.)

So now if I run into anyone at Walmart going "I don't know, will these work for grandma?" and holding a pack of Depends, I'll pop in and say "They might, but only if she can get up and get to the bathroom, too."

Does anybody know if the molicare maxi slips are blue + plastic or cloth backed??

I have purchased diapers from a medical supply store, the trick is to not think about being abdl and be positive and strong. I went in and when the sales person asked me could they help I talked to the person thinking I needed them for a medical reason. I put all baby thoughts out of my head.
The person simply though I was IC. I made the purchase and left. I have been back a couple of times and the staff are now friendly.
The thing is in how you act. If you act as if purchasing diapers is wrong the people in the store will pick up on it and think something is going on.

What could be wrong with them? It’s not illegal to purchase them. Like what bad thing could they think?

- - - Updated - - -

I know what your saying

Every medical supply store I've bought diapers at was only interested in helping me find what I needed. Not a one of them was judgemental or gave me any odd looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back