Tax deduction for your diapers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've already had this thread a few times. If you need diapers for a medical condition beyond normal infancy, then they are tax deductible. You can put them on your itemized deductions, but unless you have a lot of medical expenses in addition to the diapers, they won't clear the thresholds to make any difference taxwise. Technically, you shouldn't use this deduction if you don't need them for a medical reason, but practically, the IRS assumes nobody buys adult diapers who don't "need" them.

Being deductible, it makes them fair game for FSA/HSA as well. Your plan will tell you what you have to do. My HSA just lets me pay for them with the plan debit card. I don't have to tell anybody other than keeping records that it was a legal purchase if I ever get audited. Obviously, if you have one of the limited FSAs like the Dependent Care one, you can't use it is legal for the others subject to whatever your plan administrator wants for proof.

I searched the site for HSA and it returned no results. Either way, I'm glad to remind/share with others. You can't deduct child diapers in a dependent-care account, but incontinence supplies do qualify.

There an active thread where someone was just reminded they had $2000 on account and was soliciting suggestions for things to spend it on like barrier cream ,onesies, cleaning supplies ,extra dispers,plastic pants etc...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You can't search for things under four letters in this forum.

teddytugger said:
I searched the site for HSA and it returned no results. Either way, I'm glad to remind/share with others. You can't deduct child diapers in a dependent-care account, but incontinence supplies do qualify.

willnotwill said:
You can't search for things under four letters in this forum.

This should work in a Google search -
"HSA site:www.adisc.org/forum"

Reactions: teddytugger
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back