Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urges, panicks, and exams

Default Urges, panicks, and exams

Hi. I've recently been getting panick attacks, in which I feel a sudden desperate urge to pee. Whilst in this state, I need to get to the toilet as quickly as possible, and cant think of anything else. This could be anxiety setting off this physical symptom..or a physical health issue creating the urge, and the panic following as just a side effect. The problem I have is that Im about to have exams, during which I am likely to be full of nerves. Some exams are 3 hours long, and I dont want to have this problem mid way through, which would be dissibilitating and akward. So, Im wondering if I should wear some protection, more for confidence then necessarily out of necessity ( I hope). Im looking for something that would absorb 1 average wetting, and thats very discrete. As discrete as possible. I dont want to be worried about people being able to see what I am wearing as well as my exams, that just wont help the situation. I dont know whether to go the re-usable or disposable route, or what products would do the job. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

It's probably just a physical manifestation of the stress...a psychosomatic reaction to what you're experiencing. Like much back pain.

Darkfinn

It sounds to me like the stress could be causing you issues.

Do you feel better when you are diapered?

Generally, no, being diapered does not relief stressunfortunately, even though the idea of it does. This could though just be becuase I dont wear them much, so each time is an experimentation. But for this purpose, I would assume that it would reduce the stress of this worry, even though it would add the stress of 'can people see what I am wearing' etc.

If you feel you're probably going to be nervous about your exams, in my experience doing something before I take a big test like exercising, relaxing, watching a funny movie, etc. the night before to take my mind off of it seems to help a lot. If it would make you more confident, study hard the night before. Do something that helps you relax, make you feel more assured, or just to take your mind off of whatever is eating at you. This way, you don't have to worry about worrying and just concentrate on what's most important: passing with the desired grade you want to achieve!

About the diapered issue: if you're able to fit into them, Goodnites are very discreet. If you want something that's more absorbent, try looking into a thin adult diaper with tapes.

Some time ago i have read something similar on an incontinence forum, there was a teen who suffered from panic attacks accompanied with wetting/messing accidents. From what I remember the guy was under pschycological treatment which had a positive impact on his wetting, so maybe an idea for you ?
    Also it's more common to experience wetting during exams, the human body can be "strange" sometimes. From my own experience i can tell my wetting is worse during stressfull events like exams etc...

Coming to product choice, it's a bit trial and error...but you could try the molicare premium plus or super / abriform super if you want to go for an all-in-one, they are one of the most discreet diapers that i've tried. Or if you want to go for a pant, you could try the abena flex range (the abri-flex special is the most discreet pant existing)/ depend pants. But pants are more prone to leaking, so i'll advise to get samples first and try them out so you can go confident (and not have to worry during..) to you exams.

Good luck!

Sounds like you have already gotten some good advise here. It's going to be up to you how you want to deal with your stress. Since I am incontinent and either wear 24/7 or use Foley catheter and leg bag, I can honestly say that no one has ever noticed or said anything. When I am diapered, I wear the same diaper at night that I do during the day. I wear my pants a size or two larger and for the most part keep my shirt untucked to help hide it. For your current need, you might be able to get buy with using some of the cloth backed diapers from Walgreen's or CVS. Cloth back for one wetting should be fine. They won't have any noise and are cheap since you mainly want it for just test time. You can buy a pack and test it at home to make sure you will be o.k. with it.

Just relax and don't worry about it, you will be fine.

Changing a wet diaper is easier than wet pants

Quote Originally Posted by bedwett View Post
    Some time ago i have read something similar on an incontinence forum, there was a teen who suffered from panic attacks accompanied with wetting/messing accidents. From what I remember the guy was under pschycological treatment which had a positive impact on his wetting, so maybe an idea for you ?
    Also it's more common to experience wetting during exams, the human body can be "strange" sometimes. From my own experience i can tell my wetting is worse during stressfull events like exams etc...
    Im not so sure, ive never wet as such, just had a strong urge and need to go asap. Im not even sure if I did leave it long enough I would wet. Its just a stress thing I expect. Unfortunately I think worrying a lot is just something I have to live with, I do see a therapist, for semi-related issues,and I have raised it, but they didnt seem to be too concerned.

Would anybody recommend the tena pants discrete /tena pants discrete extra, or molicare air?

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    Last edited by tom; 13-May-2009 at 21:08.

I've experienced something kinda similar. I tend to get nervous if I know I won't be able to use the bathroom for more than a couple hours (long exams or car rides, for example). I have a rather small bladder, and just the knowledge that I may not be able to get to a bathroom seems to make the urge to pee stronger--I've never actually wet because of it... (okay, once).

My freshman year of college, I was concerned about 2-3 hour long finals where I could've gotten up to go to the bathroom (but would be short on time for the exam if I did), so I just wore Goodnites. It made me less stressed. As for covering it up, Goodnites aren't that bulky to begin with (not sure about the diapers you asked about), and wearing baggy pants with a belt, tucking in a T-shirt so it doesn't ride up, and a long hoodie covers things up quite well. And I will say that I am completely comfortable with wearing these clothes over an Abena X-Plus as well; the extra bulk still isn't that noticeable.

Whatever diaper you choose, you might want to test its ability to not leak while wetting sitting down before going to the exam... I personally have more trouble with leaks when sitting down (even with an Abena X-plus); large floodings are a definite no-go.

[QUOTE=Tygon;214553]I've experienced something kinda similar. I tend to get nervous if I know I won't be able to use the bathroom for more than a couple hours (long exams or car rides, for example). I have a rather small bladder, and just the knowledge that I may not be able to get to a bathroom seems to make the urge to pee stronger--I've never actually wet because of it... (okay, once).
    QUOTE]

Thats exactly it, its the knoweldge that it will be difficult to use the bathroom that makes me want to use it more.