Awkward experiences while buying baby things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyPrinceBoy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
Have any of you had any awkward or scary experiences while buying baby things? Be it pacifiers, sippy cups/bottles, or diapers.

I ask this because I had a somewhat awkward experience while buying a sippy cup today. I was looking at the cups + bottles and stuff, and this family walks up behind me. The woman ask something along these lines, "so, someone is starting sippy cups?" or something. I dont remember exactly what she said, but it was along those lines.

I mumbled, "yeah", and the lady asks if I needed help, and I said no thanks. I was super embarrassed and felt super awkward. After the experience, I hurridly grabbed the cup I wanted and went directly to check out.

So, I would like to hear your experiences. Most embarrassing story wins... something (let's say a new pack of diapers😁) lol.

BabyPrinceBoy xoxo

I know the feeling. nobody knows I wear and wet adult diapers in private, but I bought something off my workmates ebay site. shortly after he started making strange comments at work. I thought iwas just paranoid.... so I looked on what he could see on ebay and he can see the comments I reive. and theyre off abdl nappy sales. I don't know what to do... any advise please. any at all?

I'm good with buying sippies, bottles, baby toys. I'm plenty old enough and have bought enough of it for my kiddo that's it's no biggie. If you're buying a bunch at a time like at $Tree and someone comments just say "loading up for baby shower season!" or something along those lines lol

The thing I always desperately want to look at in the store and can't due to embarrassment is the adult dipes/pullups section. I'd love to have the confidence to just grab up some and read the label and maybe get some cheap pullups but I just can't. Doesn't help that the only store that sells them super close by in sizes big enough is where my ex-husband worked for 13 years so it would definitely get back to him and while he knows that I'm little and that I'm with an actual Daddy Dom now I'd rather he not hear THAT gory of a detail from a former coworker (and they LOVE to gossip so it would def get back to him).

My first experience wasn't embarrassing, but it was awkward for me. About 10 years ago, I was buying some diapers and pull-ups and when I walked up to the counter to pay, the cashier asked me how old my babies were. I ended up just saying I had a 1 and 3 year old, but I caught myself, I almost said I don't have any kids. There was also the time, about 3 or 4 years ago, I was picking up my monthly subscription of size 7 Pampers from the post office, and as the mail carrier was handing me my package he said "Here are you diapers", and then he said something obnoxious about "stay dry now" or "why don't you go change into a dry one". I just smiled and walked away.

You could say that what you were buying was for a friend or something.

Almost all the problems I've had buying baby things were of my own making when I was a kid. If I had just been about my business and kept my mouth shut like it was a normal purchase, there wouldn't have been an issue.

I did have a funny experience last year when I was buying baby wipes. I was crouched down comparing prices between two kinds of Huggies wipes (the only kind I buy) to see if the savings on the bigger pack was worth losing the scent on the smaller. Another shopper came by and she thought I was a confused dad, which was kind of cute. I was tempted to tell her that my preferences were of considerable importance in this purchase but it was easier to grunt and let her pass with her preconceptions intact.

I havent had many problems, when I was 16-18 I was more afraid,but thats all gone by now. There might have been one time when I was buying some goodnites that some guy made some comment, but I could also have been someones story I read on here too. Anyways, I'm old enough to look like a father so I don't get any looks or anything. Usually never any comments by cashiers either. I buy with confidence, so that is probably why. I might have had goodnites and a baby pacifier in my card once too, no issues. Or was it goodnites and some baby toy, somethin like that.

I swear, we are our own worst enemies sometimes. We find it a very big deal to walk the baby aisles in the supermarket, look at the diapers, the bottles, wipes, food, sippy cups. Everyone is looking at us, laughing at us.

*record scratch*

Actually, no they're not. The general public are completely oblivious to our real motives, because there are a million valid reasons why we'd be looking at products in the baby aisles, and never would people consider that pacifier I pick up and examine is for me, and not my little toddler girl (because it's pink and purple). I don't have a toddler girl, but they don't know that!

I admit, the first time I went down the aisle, and picked out a tin of formula, some rash cream, some wipes, some nappy bags, I was nervous too. After that, too much wasted energy and angst.

And if a friend shows up unexpectedly? "Oh, just getting some supplies for a relatives toddler girlie!"

I have a story in my head that I have a 16 month old for when I am buying things at the store but I will be honest. I haven't had to use it yet. Most people don't care and when possible while buying these things I use the self check-out then no questions asked guaranteed.

About 30 years ago I ordered some things from the Sears catalogue. Although the diapers were very.. institutional they were cloth diapers none the less. I also ordered some plastic pants. I remember having to get up the courage to go the the pick up area. At this point I still was not too worried, until they brought out my merchandise. It was in separate paper bags un-stapled, just folded over. I could not help but wonder if someone there had looked in to check and pack the merchandise? Anyways, I could not pay fast enough and make my get away. That was the last hing I ordered for 30 years. It's allot easier now!

I have a story about an already awkward situation made even more awkward by the subject of my purchase.

So, I was at a local drug store and hadn't planned on picking up anything babyish, but I saw a pack of new year's themed nuk pacis. There was only one pack left (since new years had been over for a while) so I grabbed it since it looked super cute. Well, I go up to pay, and the lady scans the pacis...and scans them again...and turns the pack over a few times...and scans again...and then asked me if I really picked that up in their store, and that the code wasn't working, and were there any more packs of that in the baby isle? I said no to that, and the lady apologized and said that since she couldn't scan it, I couldn't purchase the pacis. By this time a line had formed behind me, and obviously people were craning their necks to see what the hold-up was, so I just said that it's fine and that I would like to pay for the rest fo my purchase.

I guess the same rule applies as to anything else, no one probably cared, but still. That would have been an uncomfortable situation with any product, it's just the icing on the cake of cringe that I was trying to buy pacifiers.

If it was me, I'd say I was pulling a prank on someone. Unless it's like, a metric ton of stuff, Mike. XD

"You bought a big pacifier."
"I'm messing with someone. Gonna show up at their house for a baby shower dressed like a giant baby."

Woozle has no shame. Woozle feels no awkwardness. XD I honestly don't. I go right up, grab whatever I want and walk away. And if people ask, I actually go "I want it." LOL I got so stressed out at Black Friday that I went into the baby section and picked out a rattle/crinkle giraffe toy, walked through the store playing with it and then ended up buying it (as thanks to Mistah Neck-spots for helping me out of a tough situation.) Yes, people looked at me and I looked back probably a bit wild-eyed and said "HELLO I AM STRESSED. I DO NOT LIKE TO BE HERE." And they went away.

Years ago, I was buying baby food (some desserts) and a very cute, very close friend walked up behind me and asked who I was shopping for. She knew I had no children. I made up some excuse about babysitting my wife's little nephew. I've since become very adept at 'scouting out' the baby department at Target, etc., lest I run into someone I know!

Back in the day, they made highchairs from wood. Cosco made an exceptionally large model. I found a store that carried that model, and I asked the saleslady if an adult could fit. She invited me to sit down, then offered to slide the tray on. Suffice it to say I bought the highchair.

Not much recently. I've bought a few baby toys and accessories in public over the past few years and I never get any comments or weird looks. Bottom line, most people don't really care about what you're buying, they mostly care about their own shopping lists.

I did have an awkward experience when I was a teenager though. This was back before self checkouts were a thing, I went to a local drugstore and picked up a pack of medical briefs. When I took them up to the front counter this really bubbly, twenty-something clerk grabs them, scans them and then asks me "Are these for you?". I know she was likely joking, but still when you're a teen discovering your AB side and you hear something like that it just catches you off guard. I think I recovered well, I told her "No, they're for my grandfather", but I'm pretty sure I was blushing beet red when I left the store. That was about the most awkward experience I had when buying baby/AB stuff.

In my earliest days of buying adult-sized nappies from Boots (pharmacy chain store) I think there was a time when I tried to pay by card, and it was rejected at first or something. I felt super awkward standing there facing the cashier with the pack of briefs sitting on the checkout. After what felt like years (probably about 30 seconds in real time), I got the payment to work and left quickly!

Things quickly got easier and easier. I used to scout around the shop for people I know before picking up babyish items, but lately I haven't even bothered doing that. I guess it's good to have a story ready in the back of your mind if you do come across a friend or colleague.

Yesterday I ordered a new onesie online (super exciting, as I don't have many babyish clothes!) from Baby-pants.com. They offer discreet shipping, which is good as I get all my packages sent to my work place. But I did notice that an item labled "baby pants" has appeared on my Paypal account. Good thing no-one else should see that!

I forgot to mention, they now have those self checkout isles. I just hit up target for some themed items, Mickey Mouse of course. I found a really toddler like mickey shirt in the mens isle, Had to check to make sure it was real. Also got some boxer breifs with some small mickeys on them. They are the best undies I've ever had, going back to pick up the rest of them tomorrow. 0 Issues at the self checkout isle of course.

I look like I am rather young (lets say 16-17) and I get comments all the time about if I have a child and such. The most recent time was at 7-Eleven was just "So you are buying a baby bottle." "Yep." He proceeds to look me up and down. "Uh huh"

I think my most awkward was when I saw a sale on adult briefs, 4 for 10 dollars or something, so of course I bought four packs with the excuse of picking them up for an older relative. Of course, gosh darn it the checkout ran outta bags and I was left carrying 4 packs of large adult briefs out to the car with no bag, in a town where everyone knows everyone! Brought my own reusable bag every time I went to purchase store brand briefs from then on

I've never had any awkward experiences. I don't because I just walk with confidence. When you look like you're supposed to be there, no one will bother you. A good excuse is to say that you're donating everything to a charity. I really like to help people and I plan on giving to charities. But, this is a good excuse to tell someone that might question all of your AB paraphernalia. :D

I dunno. I'm honest to a fault.

So when I went and bought these little rubber 'leashes' for my big water bottle 'sippy cups', I told people "They're for me. They make it easier to carry around my giant water bottle." And they were like "That's a great idea!" I've done the same with pacifier holders. I use a digital Wacom tablet when I draw and I was forever losing the 'pen'. So I got a paci leash and clip it to my shirt. XD I slid the stylus pen out, use it and tuck it back into the loop. It's a cheap dollar store holder with a velcro bit that fits perfectly around my 'pen', not the looped variety that are more common now. So it works a treat. :3

You might be surprised at how 'normal' people will take things. Especially when you can do a teeny bit of justification. Saying "I carry a plush toy because it helps calm me down" goes way further than just running away blushing because someone caught you with your best fuzzy buddy. I carry all kinds of toys with me to fidget with. They're not specifically 'fidget' toys, sometimes it's a small rattling plush, a squishy ball, a clicking toy, etc. And it's because when I 'flip out' I'll shred my own skin off of my fingers. O_O Most people are more than happy that I'm messing with a toy when the alternative is bleeding everywhere from self-inflicted wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back