saw tooth edge on cloth diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenbiskit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've always enjoyed cloth diapers. Back when I was younger & thinner my favorite diaper was the 17X34 flat dipers with saw tooth edge. I just loved those tiny triangles. Haven't seen them in years . I wish one of the adult cloth diaper mfg. would recreate them only twice as large & 4 layer instead of 2. I know I would buy them.

That's actually caused by pinking shears. :) They use them in sewing to help minimize fabric from fraying.

So if you have any inclination to sew, you can actually get the cloth, the pinking shears and stitch up some cloth padding of your own. :3

CuddleWoozle said:
That's actually caused by pinking shears. :) They use them in sewing to help minimize fabric from fraying.

So if you have any inclination to sew, you can actually get the cloth, the pinking shears and stitch up some cloth padding of your own. :3

Your bringing back memories for me. As a little kid, I loved to play with my mom's pinking sheers. I'd cut paper with them and yes, you'd get that saw tooth edge on the cut paper. Ahh....good times.

dogboy said:
Your bringing back memories for me. As a little kid, I loved to play with my mom's pinking sheers. I'd cut paper with them and yes, you'd get that saw tooth edge on the cut paper. Ahh....good times.

I just bought a pinking sheers three days ago to cut fabric and it brought back memories for me as well. My teacher in kindergarten used to cut the edges of my drawings :smile1:

dogboy said:

And my mother would yell at us for using her 'good' sheers on paper. "Those are for fabrics ONLY!"

Well, it's true...using fabric scissors/shears on paper will actually dull the cutting edge and make them really hard to use on fabric again. XD

I was adopted so I guess I got away with a few things like using pinking sheers on paper. I had one of those clack clack toys which was a dog that you'd pull with a string and it would make that loud sound. When I was older, I asked my mom how she could stand it and she said they were "happy sounds". She was a kind and loving person. When I became a parent, I tried to be the same way. It always came naturally to my wife.

I remember CURITY cloth diapers had those edges.

littlemoosey said:
I remember CURITY cloth diapers had those edges.

I just vaguely remember saw tooth edges on cloth diapers. Do you recall, was it on all four edges? Did they not hem the edge when saw toothed?

WBxx said:
I just vaguely remember saw tooth edges on cloth diapers. Do you recall, was it on all four edges? Did they not hem the edge when saw toothed?

No as I remember and as this picture at the below link will show it appears that the pinking was just on the narrow edges, not the long edges. That is for Curity diapers, I'm not sure how other brands were made.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cur...UICigB&biw=2293&bih=863#imgrc=ys2HdjtHfUcKuM:

Coincidentally, when I was 11, I "obtained" my first box of real cloth diapers and the brand was Curity. I remember those edges. Even at that age they fit but there was not allot of extra room and there was not allot of folding to be sure. My mom had allot of toddler images of me in diapers and plastic pants. You could see the pinked edges of the diapers coming out along the top edge of the plastic pants.

Ahh the memories.

Just noticed, the “CURITY” marking has top & bottom saw tooth border! Makes me think it was a marketing gimmick.

Not sure about the marketing angle. You would think that if putting that "edge" on the diaper in any way would degrade its useful longevity that would not work so well for marketing. No mom would buy another box if they did not hold up.

littlemoosey said:
Not sure about the marketing angle. You would think that if putting that "edge" on the diaper in any way would degrade its useful longevity that would not work so well for marketing. No mom would buy another box if they did not hold up.

I imagine these had the advantage of not being bulky. Hemming a flat diaper adds a line of bulk, while just cutting it off like this would keep it very flat, but also keep it from fraying (a bit, at least). It looks like they also put a line of stitches about half an inch from the edge, so that when it inevitably unravels (because they will have quite a bit of wear and tear), it stops unraveling at that point and gives you a fluffy edge.

Did not notice that hem but you are right. There is one. The, "fluffy" edge sounds comfy!

littlemoosey said:
Did not notice that hem but you are right. There is one. The, "fluffy" edge sounds comfy!

I only noticed it because I was searching for something like that, I've done the same to Shorts where I wanted a frayed hem, but didn't want the whole leg to fall apart^^ And yes, the fluff is very comfy, but also ticklish :D (On the shorts, that is, I don't own diapers like that...yet)

Pinking Sheers images:

s-l225.jpgs-l225a.jpgs-l225b.jpg

For plain jane fabrics possible to create a feminine touch resembling a lacy frilly edge.

that will probably be short-lived after a few washes.

The border made by pinking shears on any woven material is going to fall apart immediately. It really only works long-term on bonded materials like paper and felt.

bambinod said:
that will probably be short-lived after a few washes.

The border made by pinking shears on any woven material is going to fall apart immediately. It really only works long-term on bonded materials like paper and felt.

That's...not quite true. Pinking shears are often used to finish off the edges inside a garment, precisely so it doesn't fall apart. Of course, some strings are going to pull loose, but not nearly as much as when you just leave a straight edge. Though like I said, in this particular case, there's a line of stitches stopping the fabric from unraveling at a certain point anyway.

Schwanensee said:
That's...not quite true. Pinking shears are often used to finish off the edges inside a garment, precisely so it doesn't fall apart. Of course, some strings are going to pull loose, but not nearly as much as when you just leave a straight edge. Though like I said, in this particular case, there's a line of stitches stopping the fabric from unraveling at a certain point anyway.

Most fabrics are warp and weft. (or just plain "screen door" thread pattern) If you cut say a zigzag pattern on an edge that is, for example, parallel to the warp, you are creating triangle shaped bumps on the edge that contain a stack of disconnected warp segments, from the base of the triangle to the top, and those can slide down off the wefts (from the base of the triangle toward the tip) and fall away. It frays, leaving only the triangle of wefts that are only connected at the base of the triangle.

This will happen to some degree regardless of what angle you cut at.

my experence with pinked edge diapers was they would survive several wearings wettings and washings with out coming unraveled. the last time i was able to buy them was at sears in the 90s i have pinking shears but they don't give me the effect i want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back