Fecal Incontinence Help in School

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the bright side, my aides in the class all know how to help me now. We have a signal where I give them a card that says messy or wet and they go and help me. In class today no one noticed at first but because I'm autistic, I started melting down and bit and just started yelling I POOPED over and over again for like 2 minutes.

However, now we have a signal, and my professor in the room at the time said she's proud of me for trying to wear undies, and it's totally okay that I can't handle it.

I don't want a thick diaper! I want underpants. I just can't wear them because I go in my pants sometimes. I don't want a thick one unless I am Little. When I'm big and in class I want something small that people can barely see.

You could learn sign language for words like diaper, change, wet, and dirty. So when you need to be changed you can signal to your aides instead of vocalizing.

I made some cards today. One that says messy and one that says wet. But I still don't like alerting someone of a messy diaper. I usually just wait for them to ask me, but it makes me feel embarrassed when they ask if I need a diaper change. So I dunno what to do.

TransNate said:
In class today no one noticed at first but because I'm autistic, I started melting down and bit and just started yelling I POOPED over and over again for like 2 minutes.

How come in a special needs class no one heard you for over two minutes? Is it a big class?

TransNate said:
But I still don't like alerting someone of a messy diaper. I usually just wait for them to ask me, but it makes me feel embarrassed when they ask if I need a diaper change.

I'm confused because in another post you said you shouted for two minutes when you had to mess before anyone heard you.

Yeah, you need some sort of signal to your aid. Some classes use solo cups for all students. If the cup is up it means one thing and if it's turned upside down, it means another. It's part of a classroom management plan.

TransNate said:
I am a DL and also a Little. However, in my real life, I am both fecal and bladder incontinent. This makes life pretty difficult, especially since I live with special needs and have aides with me on my college campus more or less all the time. However, since fecal incontinence came more recently, I am not too used to it. I just woke up before class (my school year is longer due to me being in Special Education) and I have a plan to not wear a diaper. That is because as of late, I have been incredibly embarrassed about asking for diaper changes in class and in public with my aides, especially the BM. I will be working on a system to help me get changes faster without having to say anything, but for now, I will just take off my diaper when my aide isn't looking. Is this a good idea, or should I do something else to combat embarrassment?

TransNate said:
I did have a big messy and wet accident in class and it was very bad. Huge mess in my pants and the floor.

(I'm about to be pretty forward with my words so please forgive me for any abrasive tones, I absolutely do not mean to be aggressive and I only wish to get the point across and I'm not too fantastic with my words to begin with)

You're making a pretty big and unnecessary fuss over wearing the diaper that pretty much exists just to help you keep accidents from being more public and save you some embarrassment.
A mess in your pants and on the floor is way more of a hassle to deal with(for those who have to clean it, those who see/smell it and you with the soiled pants!) than just wearing a diaper and getting a change.

Taking such a big risk(since you say you're incontinent) and not wearing a diaper then having an accident, the aides then probably have to go through the procedure of: bag and manage the soiled clothes, find you replacement clothes, if any mess made it to the floor or on things its technically a bio hazard and has to be cleaned and disinfected. Then there's probably going to be a lot of stink in the room after all is said and done which can't be pleasant :p

All of what you're doing is making more hard work for the aides that could have been avoided and more embarrassing for you than just wearing the diaper(doesn't matter how thick the diaper is!) and asking for a change.
If you say others are poop their pants in your class and the aides have to check who made a mess, then why are you so worried? You're not alone in the poopy pamps department.
And I do understand, it is embarrassing needing to ask for help, I get it. But again, all you're doing is just making the situation a little more difficult for yourself and the aides who are there to help you.

And another unnoticed effect your actions may have. How embarrassing would it be if you didn't make the mess and they still check you, think about maybe that's how some of your incontinent classmates may feel if you made the mess but they still need to get their diaper checked. :(

It feels to me like something I once did, not telling the doctor everything cause you didn't think it would matter or you were scared/embarrassed to.
The doctor is there to help, and all it does is make the whole situation harder to manage and take more time, and this is what children do.

"When I'm big and in class I want something small that people can barely see." Then please, you need to act big like you said you are in class and deal with the incontinence like other "big and in class" incontinent people do! If you need a change, then ask.
No one there is going to judge you, not the aides nor your classmates.

(Again I'm sorry if this came off as abrasive and aggressive, but please understand I wanted to get all this proper and said. But I promise there's some good words ahead though!)

All in all you'll be helping yourself, your classmates and the helpful aides a lot more if you wear your diaper, a proper diaper and being brave and speaking up about an accident.

And I bet you can be pretty brave, and you can be awesome. You just gotta be brave first, then being awesome is easy! You'll be too busy being brave and awesome to worry :D

_____Some other advice regarding diapers and communicating to your aides______
Sure there's plenty of thinner diapers out there than can help you stay stealthy.
But being very, very honest. Basically no one is going to notice thicker diapers, they never do unless they are absolutely looking for it, which they never are.
Plus you're already in a class where they know you wear diapers, where others wear diapers too I bet. So no need to worry about that there :p
And if you are out and about out of class and they do see any bulk, they will most likely never say anything.
Remember, Leaks are more noticeable than a diaper bulge!

If I can go in a double boosted Rears to standard testing (back in high school, 2014 I think. Was fun though) totally unnoticed, then you can easily slip by with a decently thick diaper.

And if you don't want to use cards, you can use your fingers to tell the aides.
Tell them how the signals work privately so no one but them and you will know what it means: You raise your hand up and when called upon, you show one finger for wet change and hold up two fingers to tell them you made a #2

Reactions: rennecfox
Not before anyone heard me. They heard right away. I just kept going because I started having a meltdown a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much. This was my first year on my own since I moved away (technically I live with my parents on the weekends but this year I'm away all week for class) and I think being with aides full time and not my parents has me really embarrassed. I know I've got to act like an adult so that's what I'll do. I'll wear a diaper even when I don't like it, and I'll be responsible. And I have my signals too.

Not that no one heard me, I kept going. Even when they were changing me still. I just kept going. By the end it was more like a whisper and I was hitting my head with my hands. Like I do in a meltdown. Because that's what it was.

TransNate said:
Hi all! I would really like some advice. I have been bladder incontinent for years due to my autism, and have recently developed fecal incontinence as well. However, I am in a special needs program at my college, which puts me in one classroom for most of my classes. The aides are used to helping me clean urine, but I am alwqys embarrassed to ask for help when i mess my diaper in class. Should I continue to hide it until I am confronted? If not, what should I do?

I have Autism and Cerebral Palsy.
If you need to use PECS picture cards to tell aides you are wet or messy, use them.
My attitude is so what if I pooped myself.

Most of us do not like being back in diapers but accepting you need to wear 24/7 makes it easier to deal with being diapered. I would love to be back in regular underware but its not possiable so now I look forward to changing into a fresh dry diaper after 3.5 years of being diapered ai no longer worry about it Diapers are now a part of our lives once you accept you need them it will get easier to deal with your incontinence issues

TransNate said:
On the bright side, my aides in the class all know how to help me now. We have a signal where I give them a card that says messy or wet and they go and help me. In class today no one noticed at first but because I'm autistic, I started melting down and bit and just started yelling I POOPED over and over again for like 2 minutes.

However, now we have a signal, and my professor in the room at the time said she's proud of me for trying to wear undies, and it's totally okay that I can't handle it.

EXCELLENT Nate , Oh hon im sorry dear

That's excellent Nate and for what it's worth im also VERY proud of you for trying to go without .And like Your professor says there is NOTHING wrong and totally okay for you to wear them dear .as i sed you have done WELL Nate :hug:

Rob110 said:
Most of us do not like being back in diapers but accepting you need to wear 24/7 makes it easier to deal with being diapered. I would love to be back in regular underware but its not possiable so now I look forward to changing into a fresh dry diaper after 3.5 years of being diapered ai no longer worry about it Diapers are now a part of our lives once you accept you need them it will get easier to deal with your incontinence issues
So true.

TransNate said:
They usually go around and do a check on all the people with diapers. That's always really embarrassing.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much. I don't like to go in my pants in public, but normally I get a 30 second warning before my pants are messy. Then eventually the aides smell something, so they go around and check everyone in a diaper. Being found out is very embarrassing and I don't like it! I'm just very embarrassed.

- - - Updated - - -

Do any of you guys have a suggestion of ways as to discreetly tell the aides that messed my diaper?

I am now home with my dad. Which is good, but he also hasn't had to deal with too many BMs either, due to only seeing him 1-2 days a week this year. I know it's a dumb question, but now that I'm not hiding it from my aides so much, can I hide it from my dad? I still want him to be proud of me.

Jonnythepony said:
(I'm about to be pretty forward with my words so please forgive me for any abrasive tones, I absolutely do not mean to be aggressive and I only wish to get the point across and I'm not too fantastic with my words to begin with)

You're making a pretty big and unnecessary fuss over wearing the diaper that pretty much exists just to help you keep accidents from being more public and save you some embarrassment.
A mess in your pants and on the floor is way more of a hassle to deal with(for those who have to clean it, those who see/smell it and you with the soiled pants!) than just wearing a diaper and getting a change.

Taking such a big risk(since you say you're incontinent) and not wearing a diaper then having an accident, the aides then probably have to go through the procedure of: bag and manage the soiled clothes, find you replacement clothes, if any mess made it to the floor or on things its technically a bio hazard and has to be cleaned and disinfected. Then there's probably going to be a lot of stink in the room after all is said and done which can't be pleasant :p

All of what you're doing is making more hard work for the aides that could have been avoided and more embarrassing for you than just wearing the diaper(doesn't matter how thick the diaper is!) and asking for a change.
If you say others are poop their pants in your class and the aides have to check who made a mess, then why are you so worried? You're not alone in the poopy pamps department.
And I do understand, it is embarrassing needing to ask for help, I get it. But again, all you're doing is just making the situation a little more difficult for yourself and the aides who are there to help you.

And another unnoticed effect your actions may have. How embarrassing would it be if you didn't make the mess and they still check you, think about maybe that's how some of your incontinent classmates may feel if you made the mess but they still need to get their diaper checked. :(

It feels to me like something I once did, not telling the doctor everything cause you didn't think it would matter or you were scared/embarrassed to.
The doctor is there to help, and all it does is make the whole situation harder to manage and take more time, and this is what children do.

"When I'm big and in class I want something small that people can barely see." Then please, you need to act big like you said you are in class and deal with the incontinence like other "big and in class" incontinent people do! If you need a change, then ask.
No one there is going to judge you, not the aides nor your classmates.

(Again I'm sorry if this came off as abrasive and aggressive, but please understand I wanted to get all this proper and said. But I promise there's some good words ahead though!)

All in all you'll be helping yourself, your classmates and the helpful aides a lot more if you wear your diaper, a proper diaper and being brave and speaking up about an accident.

And I bet you can be pretty brave, and you can be awesome. You just gotta be brave first, then being awesome is easy! You'll be too busy being brave and awesome to worry :D

_____Some other advice regarding diapers and communicating to your aides______
Sure there's plenty of thinner diapers out there than can help you stay stealthy.
But being very, very honest. Basically no one is going to notice thicker diapers, they never do unless they are absolutely looking for it, which they never are.
Plus you're already in a class where they know you wear diapers, where others wear diapers too I bet. So no need to worry about that there :p
And if you are out and about out of class and they do see any bulk, they will most likely never say anything.
Remember, Leaks are more noticeable than a diaper bulge!

If I can go in a double boosted Rears to standard testing (back in high school, 2014 I think. Was fun though) totally unnoticed, then you can easily slip by with a decently thick diaper.

And if you don't want to use cards, you can use your fingers to tell the aides.
Tell them how the signals work privately so no one but them and you will know what it means: You raise your hand up and when called upon, you show one finger for wet change and hold up two fingers to tell them you made a #2

So we agreed to not hide it from the aides because it's their job. But I'm home with my dad today, and he doesn't have to deal with it much since I'm only home on weekends and it only became more severe a few weeks ago. I really want him to be proud of me but I know sooner or later I'll have to go. Can I try undies with him or can I try hiding it from him too?

TransNate said:
I love all of your advice so much! However, due to a BM in my sleep, I woke up VERY embarrassed. I made the decision to go to class in underpants today, not a diaper like usual. If they figure it out, which I hope they won't, I will speak to them about my concerns then. If not, I'm in the clear and I can just use the potty!
this is never a good plan with bowel incontinence, not only in this situation are you making your situation worse, but your making it harder on your aides and creating a disruption. Think of it this way, if you aren't sure if you can control your bowels is it better to wear underwear that provide no protection or a diaper? Which will end less embarrassing if you do mess? I know first hand messing a diaper isn't fun, but messing pants no diaper is significantly messier, more obvious making it significantly more embarrassing to deal with. And when you aren't sure it's always better to air on the side of just in case.

I had a really big accident in class. My undies and pants are both ruined and the floor all around me was super duper messy. I had to put on one of the class diapers and now I'm in class with no pants on, just a diaper. I just wanted to be independent that's all I wanted. But now I have a diaper and a shirt in my class and I have to be checked every thirty minutes to ensure no mess.
Be honest with yourself here... which was worse? Wearing a diaper to class?, or ending up in a diaper and no pants in class because you had a massive accident completely obvious to everyone in the room? I can't answer that for you, but for me the latter would be way worse.

Were the Aides upset? I can't imagine they were thrilled given the situation. That sounds like quite a bit of work for them which could have been much less if you just wore a diaper.

Were you initially advised by a councilor/doctor to use diapers for your needs? I'd assume this would be the case given the aides. And as such you really should be following their recommendations.

Did you have to talk to anyone afterwards a advising what to do in the future regarding what would happen if this occurred again? I'm not going to guess they'd tolerate this behavior continuing given it's a health and sanitation concern at that point. You'll probably get sent home if you repeatedly do this to possibly be expelled.

Did you get sent home without the benefit of pants? That right there would be infinitely worse then being in a diaper as an undergarment.

I can't imagine wearing underwear was really worth that nightmare of a day.

Think of it this way, what would you say to someone thinking about jumping out of a plane without a parachute because as they stated "I think I can fly today"? Would you think that sounded silly and dangerous? Yeah this is an extreme example, but having defection go everywhere in public isn't a small deal either, you can make people sick, can contaminate things, do lots of damage to school equipment and materials.

Last edited:
I wouldn't advise trying to hide something like that. It just ends up making it more upsetting and stressful for you.

When I'm at home, I wear pull-up type diapers because I know I'll be able to run into the bathroom any time I need to and it's very close to my room. When I'm out, I wear thicker padding so if I -do- have an accident, it's contained to the diaper and not down my leg, on my pants, on my socks, IN MY SHOES...that last one makes me cringe every time I think about it. A stinky squishy shoe. *shivers*

So maybe you could try that? Get some pull-up type diapers for when you're visiting your parents and know you'll be able to try to make it to the toilet?

And I agree about the signals! They could be anything at all. And the only people who need to know are you and the aides. :3

I used to work for a busing company that took LOTS of incontinent folks back and forth and from the standpoint of your aides, I would much much rather that you had a good 'safe' diaper on. Whenever someone tried to 'go without', it usually ended up with them not being able to make it home in time and us having to take the bus back to the depot and disinfect it from top to bottom, then spray the entire thing out with a hose. The people who had trouble were always so so so much more embarrassed about getting stuff everywhere than they ever were if they needed a change.

Also, that's what the diaper is FOR! An aide for special needs came into the job knowing that some people were going to need help changing their diapers. They accepted that, they're used to it and it doesn't usually bother them.

My grandmother who has since passed away was fecal and urinary IC and the thing that always bothered us the most was that she would take her soiled diapers off and try to hide them in random places around the house. O_O *sniffsniff* *look under the bed* *find stinky diaper* That was a daily thing. So don't be like my grandma. ;3

Sorry but I think there’s a little fishing going on here.

TransNate said:
I am now home with my dad. Which is good, but he also hasn't had to deal with too many BMs either, due to only seeing him 1-2 days a week this year. I know it's a dumb question, but now that I'm not hiding it from my aides so much, can I hide it from my dad? I still want him to be proud of me.

I would say its always better to be honest about things Nate , im more then shore that he will still be very proud and love you just as much even with this new information given to him . Better that he has a heads up on this rather then having to find out from an "accident "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back