Thread: Something Important?

curiousitykitten

Default Something Important?

I was just watching Nanny 911. In this particular episode the mother screams very loudly... I realized as I was watching it I started to get upset. When I was little my mother used to yekll at me. Sometimes it was so bad I almost wet myself. It got to a point I used to think I was a bad daughter. lol well I still think like that to a point but I understand it was only disipline. As a teen I am more mature then many people my age and I am more well behaved in genereal (as im told by adults and teachers)

when the mother yelled a second time and I saw her facial expressions however, I began to cry a little bit. I was nowhere near as out of control as the toddlers depicted in the episode.

Does my crying mean anything?...or is it just plain pathetic?
    Does anyone have similar experiences?

I think you just have an emotional connection. It doesn't mean you're any weaker than anyone else

Butterfly Mage

There are certain topics I can't watch on TV as well. If a TV show or movie has themes of torture or child abuse, I can't withstand watching it.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    There are certain topics I can't watch on TV as well. If a TV show or movie has themes of torture or child abuse, I can't withstand watching it.
    ah
    it wasnt abuse ^___^ just an overworked mommy
    on the tv and my mommy

I usually cry when being yelled at >.> but not usually when I see someone else being yelled at.

angelabauer

Verbal abuse is poor parenting. The word "Discipline" means teaching. Teaching requires communication. Yelling is not effective communication.

Still, I have serious doubts about the several "Nanny" TV series. None have ever demonstrated the "nannies" involved have special qualifications or any formal training in childhood development.

Also, what sort of parent would allow all those TV cameras to be installed?

It is very interesting that a couple of days ago a law suit was filed against "OctoMom" because she is being paid to allow video and still photos of all her 14 kids. California has had the Coogan Act since the late 1930s mandating that all child performers in our state be paid. All such contracts need court approval and all earnings must be placed in trust accounts. California labor law limits the time each day minors may be on a set. In the case of young infants that is 20 minutes a day. All minor children working as performers must have a licensed welfare worker/teacher supervising the preformance. In the case of infants there either must be a Registered Nurse also supervising, or the teacher must be a licensed RN.

The lawsuit was brought by Paul Peterson and his wife. He was a child star on the old Donna Reed Show. Subsequently he founded the "A Minor Consideration" foundation, a function of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) as advocates for the rights and follow-up treatment of child performers.

Probably the several "Nanny" series are not filmed in California or New York (with very similar labor and fiduciary laws). Still it would be very interesting to learn the details of the contracts between the parents and the nannies.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Verbal abuse is poor parenting. The word "Discipline" means teaching. Teaching requires communication. Yelling is not effective communication.

Still, I have serious doubts about the several "Nanny" TV series. None have ever demonstrated the "nannies" involved have special qualifications or any formal training in childhood development.

Also, what sort of parent would allow all those TV cameras to be installed?

It is very interesting that a couple of days ago a law suit was filed against "OctoMom" because she is being paid to allow video and still photos of all her 14 kids. California has had the Coogan Act since the late 1930s mandating that all child performers in our state be paid. All such contracts need court approval and all earnings must be placed in trust accounts. California labor law limits the time each day minors may be on a set. In the case of young infants that is 20 minutes a day. All minor children working as performers must have a licensed welfare worker/teacher supervising the preformance. In the case of infants there either must be a Registered Nurse also supervising, or the teacher must be a licensed RN.

The lawsuit was brought by Paul Peterson and his wife. He was a child star on the old Donna Reed Show. Subsequently he founded the "A Minor Consideration" foundation, a function of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) as advocates for the rights and follow-up treatment of child performers.

Probably the several "Nanny" series are not filmed in California or New York (with very similar labor and fiduciary laws). Still it would be very interesting to learn the details of the contracts between the parents and the nannies.
    i think they must have some qualification...and i see no problelm with the cameras. I would see a problem if the children were not informed by the parents. If your desperate your desperate.

And idk about the disipline thing but from all that yelling and getting my bum spanked(when i was 8 and unedr). I'm a pretty obedient 16 year old (compared to people in my classes). I also went to an all provate school. I know what your thinking; there was no ruler hitting. However, there was planty of yelling, lectures, no recess and staying after...once your in first grade of you forget hw your automattically after school. As a hjighschooler I value my grades so much. My parents don't think im obedient enough though.

curiousitykitten

My mom has been yelling at me more often lately.

Before therapy she tells me not to cry so i don't need to go back soon...she also has been insulting my art...not critiquing insulting

i drew someting a little gorey and she said to trash it just because of that reason...she didnt take in to account if it was nicely done or not. Inface, when i showed her a picture of the painting on my digital camera she told me then and there to throw the painting out and delete the photo....so to prove a point im not allowing her to see any of my traditional art only digital. And the only things im allowing her to view are things that are cute and fluffy.