Plastic Pants Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthedark

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I never bought any plastic pants before or even use one. I know there are some threads around about this, but some question still isn't yet answered and I don't know if the ones that I want to buy have a vinyl or pul.

So, I want to buy this https://amzn.to/2JaZw9T plastic pants, they looked good, but I have some question about it.

1. Assume I had a good fit in this pants, would it actually prevent leaking even though its a lot of leaks?

2. Cleaning; I did some search, says just wash with water and soap, but can I wash it just with baby wipes?

3. How often should I clean it?

4. Tips on how to keep it in good function?

Thank you guys!

The Kleinerts waterproof pants are old school. They are poly coated cloth not PUL. Thus, they don't breathe. I would get the Gary PUL pants which do breathe a bit. This is important for summer use. ( I still prefer vinyl in winter---see Babykins.)
Plastic pants are only as good as the diaper you are wearing. It slows, usually stops, pee from running down your legs and lets the diaper absorb the moisture. It takes trial and error to find the pant and correct size that isn't too loose or too tight. So only buy one at a time until you find what works for you. As a side sleeper, I could not get thru a nite without waterproof pants.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to respond to cleaning. I wash mine in the shower in the morning just using a little hand soap and rinsing. No smell!

Reactions: Andrewgdfw and copper
My favorite are Haian brand; available on ebay and probably their own site. I wear pull-on ones at night and usually snap-on ones in the daytime. They are reasonably thick, and last forever. I wash them in the machine on delicate cycle. Also put them (several pairs at once) in the dryer on low heat with a few towels for 10 minutes after they are clean. They always come out soft. There are several different colors/patterns available; they cost about $5/pair.

Last edited:
Are there a Plastic pant where the pee won't leak from the elastic? I just talked with someone, and it says that they will still leak from the elastic.

They will most likely leak if you over saturate your diaper, beyond what the diaper can hold. Part of the problem is that as we walk, sit, stand up, our leg muscles flex and change and if there's liquid laying at the bottom of the diaper, it will leak out of the smallest crease.

I've worn a lot of plastic pants and I've settled on PUL pants as they are easier to maintain. You can put them in the washing machine and they'll stand up to that, but you must let any plastic pant hang dry. I use a plastic hanger. An electric dryer would destroy any kind of plastic pants.

I use PUL pants over my diaper. They give me piece of mind. I suggest PUL over vinyl, poly or peva because they breathe and are more durable. I recommend Gary Wear or Leakmaster. They are both pretty much the same. Don’t bother with Klienharts or Saulk. I’ve purchased both and they just are not made as well.

One thing I’ve learned that has really helped me is to pull on a pair of cotton underwear over your diaper and then pull on your cover pants. This way, if you leak, the cotton underwear will soak up the leak so it doesn’t eventually end up leaking through the leg openings of your cover pants.

Reactions: dous
I like both kinds babykins 6 mil plastic pants wide waist band last if you hand wash in shower I use baby shampoo for this very mild soap.
Then use a towel to blot out the wet pants first out side. Then turn inside out blot the mosture.
Then hang to dry.
Now baby lotion oils dry out plastic pants so try not to use the where they lay against the plastic pants .
Inside the diapers is ok.
Now the pul pants I like cool feel on the skin .
They breathe buy don't let wettness out.
I still hand wash blot dry then hang.
Cloth diapers have to be thick enough for how much you wet. They don't have the polymer to absorb liquid.
Cloth only has fibers to take wetness in.
Now micro fleese is very absorbent cloth a very good booster for cloth diapers.
I hope this helps you.

I have used plastic pants over my diapers for a long time but they leak, sometimes baddddddddddddddddly. I now wear Gary Pul pants over my diaper and find them much better

I have been wearing PUL Gary briefs for years now (thanks again Dogboy recommendation!), the breathable fabric means no more uncomfortable heat in my pants. The forward facing leg holes are ideal for when sitting. As we all note, you must have an absorbent brief underneath or you will get leaks most likely at the leg holes when you move. For long airline flights (8-9 hours) I like an M4 or Rearz pirate disposable beneath my PULs as they have been 100% reliable for long term wetting (full loads). For short flights I have adult training underwear that is thick enough (but not like a full SAP diaper) that I can let go a bit to take the edge away and at the end of 4 - 5 hours my training underwear is quite wet but no excess fluid built up anywhere to leak. The PULs are the best after many previous vinyl pants I have tried over the decades.

For cleaning I have done the shower and shampoo for quickness in the morning but being in hotel I sometimes [not often] have to leave them to dry behind the bathroom door (maid service has never said anything to me but I know they must have seen them hanging there!) but if it is summer I leave them in my rental car in the trunk and the heat of the summer gets the trunk up to abut 110+ F and dries them quite well. If I leave them in the car on the floorboards I risk someone at my work site walking by and if the look hard enough, seeing them there. Or the heat of the summer can easily get my car up to about 130+ F inside and I am concerned this may be too much heat and ruin them quicker. For other times I noticed after a simple shower washing, the smell is not as good afterwards so I use the hotel washing machine for a more complete cleaning. I am sure people have come along and opened the lid when they thought it might be empty and see my adult training underwear and plastic underpants but once again no one has ever said anything to me when I came into the room and they were waiting (I carry a plastic grocery bag to put my items into from the washer so it is not so obvious when I leave).

Just a month ago I went to a local Laundromat and used their washing machine. The attendant was very nice getting me started and I used one dryer for my training underwear (which was rather obvious with the front door being glass) and another dryer for my plastic underpants but on low heat / fluff. The attendant was very helpful when I mentioned having only a few items and sometimes they "stick" to the outer dryer wall and do not dry very well. She gave me 3 tennis balls to bounce around in the drum to keep my items from sticking to the drum [but makes it a bit noticeable what was drying inside). Most of the people there were very friendly and seemed to care vey little about what undergarments you were washing /drying. The tennis balls seems to be an old-school trick that I have never heard of and I was rather amused by it but no one else seemed to bat an eye.

Reactions: dous
JOCKMAN said:
I have been wearing PUL Gary briefs for years now (thanks again Dogboy recommendation!), the breathable fabric means no more uncomfortable heat in my pants. The forward facing leg holes are ideal for when sitting. As we all note, you must have an absorbent brief underneath or you will get leaks most likely at the leg holes when you move. For long airline flights (8-9 hours) I like an M4 or Rearz pirate disposable beneath my PULs as they have been 100% reliable for long term wetting (full loads). For short flights I have adult training underwear that is thick enough (but not like a full SAP diaper) that I can let go a bit to take the edge away and at the end of 4 - 5 hours my training underwear is quite wet but no excess fluid built up anywhere to leak. The PULs are the best after many previous vinyl pants I have tried over the decades.

For cleaning I have done the shower and shampoo for quickness in the morning but being in hotel I sometimes [not often] have to leave them to dry behind the bathroom door (maid service has never said anything to me but I know they must have seen them hanging there!) but if it is summer I leave them in my rental car in the trunk and the heat of the summer gets the trunk up to abut 110+ F and dries them quite well. If I leave them in the car on the floorboards I risk someone at my work site walking by and if the look hard enough, seeing them there. Or the heat of the summer can easily get my car up to about 130+ F inside and I am concerned this may be too much heat and ruin them quicker. For other times I noticed after a simple shower washing, the smell is not as good afterwards so I use the hotel washing machine for a more complete cleaning. I am sure people have come along and opened the lid when they thought it might be empty and see my adult training underwear and plastic underpants but once again no one has ever said anything to me when I came into the room and they were waiting (I carry a plastic grocery bag to put my items into from the washer so it is not so obvious when I leave).

Just a month ago I went to a local Laundromat and used their washing machine. The attendant was very nice getting me started and I used one dryer for my training underwear (which was rather obvious with the front door being glass) and another dryer for my plastic underpants but on low heat / fluff. The attendant was very helpful when I mentioned having only a few items and sometimes they "stick" to the outer dryer wall and do not dry very well. She gave me 3 tennis balls to bounce around in the drum to keep my items from sticking to the drum [but makes it a bit noticeable what was drying inside). Most of the people there were very friendly and seemed to care vey little about what undergarments you were washing /drying. The tennis balls seems to be an old-school trick that I have never heard of and I was rather amused by it but no one else seemed to bat an eye.

They sell balls of felted wool that do something similar. ;) Not quite a noisy or funny to see though. XD

CuddleWoozle said:
They sell balls of felted wool that do something similar. ;) Not quite a noisy or funny to see though. XD

Thanks for his piece of information CuddleWoozle! Where (stores?) do you buy these balls of felted wool?

JOCKMAN said:
Thanks for his piece of information CuddleWoozle! Where (stores?) do you buy these balls of felted wool?

I totally missed this. I'm sorry.

I got mine in a box of three from Meijer. The brand name is Woolzies and it came with three in the pack for about $12. But I bought them early in the year and they're still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back