Tykables Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TayTayIsOk

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi, am kinda new and not sure about posting here, but I got a trial pack of the Tykables Little Builder and Waddler and when using the Waddler I noticed a very strong odor, similar to paint thinner emitting from the diaper. Their site will not let me post a review so figured I'd post here. Anybody else have any similar issues or heard any stories about tykables?
Thanks
TayTayIsOk

Just got a case of waddlers yesterday, no issues with smells, just a hint of baby powder here and there

It reminds me of the smell of "Leukoplast". I don't know if the international people here know what it is, but Germans should know.

No smell on any of mine.

I think it depends on the age. PE outgases for a little while after manufacturing. So it depends on how quickly they used the material after receiving it. Diapers are immediately sealed in airtight bags when manufactured, so if the PE is still outgassing it'll trap the odor in the bag. I've seen this be a random problem with pretty much every diaper, it's just a matter of luck on the batch you get and pretty much never happens twice in a row with any brand you might order.

bambinod said:
I think it depends on the age. PE outgases for a little while after manufacturing. So it depends on how quickly they used the material after receiving it. Diapers are immediately sealed in airtight bags when manufactured, so if the PE is still outgassing it'll trap the odor in the bag. I've seen this be a random problem with pretty much every diaper, it's just a matter of luck on the batch you get and pretty much never happens twice in a row with any brand you might order.

So basically if you open the bag and it smells funky, you should be able to take them out and let them 'breathe' and they'll stop smelling?

CuddleWoozle said:
So basically if you open the bag and it smells funky, you should be able to take them out and let them 'breathe' and they'll stop smelling?

That's true of most things with a scent to it. What you smell are called "volatiles" - chemicals that diffuse and disperse into the air. After all of the volatiles have basically evaporated off and out of the product, it has no scent anymore.

Things like cat piss are different because of how they're "packaged". The cat's body adds the volatiles to the urine, and since urea dries up fast and forms a brittle crusted crystal the scent chemicals are not volatile. But if you scuff it at all, a bit crumbles off into a micro dust and then it becomes volatile. Then you smell the cat pee. (urea unfortunately is not water-soluable, and isn't soluble in almost anything else either, making it hard to get the smell out of something, which is by design for animals that "mark" stuff) It's a bit like a scratch-and-sniff. But that's not how the "scent added" stuff like diapers works.

Reminds me of the Old late 80's to mid 90's versions of the Attends Fitted Briefs they had a strong perfumey smell to them and no matter how long you had them out of the bag once you put it on the perfumey smell is still emitting. Prayed to god that I did not get stuck in a elevator at college. Hated going to class as the whole class would smell of my diaper by the end of the hour or two depending on the class.
Oh Crinkling and perfumey smell to this day when I type about it still gives me the cringes!

bambinod said:
That's true of most things with a scent to it. What you smell are called "volatiles" - chemicals that diffuse and disperse into the air. After all of the volatiles have basically evaporated off and out of the product, it has no scent anymore.

Things like cat piss are different because of how they're "packaged". The cat's body adds the volatiles to the urine, and since urea dries up fast and forms a brittle crusted crystal the scent chemicals are not volatile. But if you scuff it at all, a bit crumbles off into a micro dust and then it becomes volatile. Then you smell the cat pee. (urea unfortunately is not water-soluable, and isn't soluble in almost anything else either, making it hard to get the smell out of something, which is by design for animals that "mark" stuff) It's a bit like a scratch-and-sniff. But that's not how the "scent added" stuff like diapers works.

Interesting. But if urea isn't soluable, then how does it get into the urine?

I'd that it's either the toxins used to fumigate containers or fresh paint.

My batch of Little Builders, Waddlers, Galactics, and Overnights (yes, I bought all four types) have the smell too. I don't really notice it in the day when I have shorts or pants on but I smell it much more at night in bed. I'm hoping airing them out will help. Otherwise, Tykables has made the BEST ABDL diapers yet in my opinion.

Makubird said:
Interesting. But if urea isn't soluable, then how does it get into the urine?

Its not dissolved, it's in suspension. Given time, it will settle out.

Urea crystals are a pain to get out of anything because once it crystalizes, you really need something to metabolize it to break it up chemically. But it's a low energy state for energy storage ((via ATP) so the only biological thing that's interested in breaking it down are plants, that will recycle the materials to repackage the energy of sunlight back into ATP, which closes the loop. (that's why urea /ammonia are fertilizers) Plants are very interested in the "unfixed Nitrogen" in those.

Yeah I'm a bit of a nerd ;)

bambinod said:

Urea crystals are a pain to get out of anything because once it crystalizes, you really need something to metabolize it to break it up chemically. But it's a low energy state for energy storage ((via ATP) so the only biological thing that's interested in breaking it down are plants, that will recycle the materials to repackage the energy of sunlight back into ATP, which closes the loop. (that's why urea /ammonia are fertilizers) Plants are very interested in the "unfixed Nitrogen" in those.

NEEEERRRRDS.

Then that would be why they're making all of those 'enzyme' cleaners for people to clear up puppy piddle and cat spray. And why the dogs can still smell it YEARS afterwards. (We had a dog who peed on the edge of the wall and he's been gone for four years now and the dogs will -still- stop and sniff there. >_< )

bambinod said:

Yea that’s why we love you Bambinod

Yeah I got the little builders a few weeks back. Love the diapers hate the horrible plastic smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back