Not open for further replies.

Drynites96

Leaky Sleeper
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I know that this question has probably been asked a Million times but do you guys have any Tips on how to put on a diaper so that it's snug? I only wore Pull-Up diapers before and have no expirience with taped ones. Which tapes should I do first top or bottom? How can I get the diaper to fit right? And is it a good idea to put them on on a bed or would a completely flat and a bit harder surface better?

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

I found this video on a page to buy abenas from northshore and found it useful. Personally I can't imagine getting them on standing up but still useful for getting it in place correctly and taping it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWPu1cpPeGQ

Feyranna said:
I found this video on a page to buy abenas from northshore and found it useful. Personally I can't imagine getting them on standing up but still useful for getting it in place correctly and taping it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWPu1cpPeGQ
Thank you. Sadly I can't put them on while standing but I'll definitely watch it to learn a bit how to get the tapes right

Really it's going to be up to experience. I know a lot of people who swear by bottom tapes first, i prefer top first. Bed works fine for me. If I do it standing I find something to lean on. As far as how I decide, if I'm going to be up moving around I'll diaper myself standing up. If I'm going to be sitting or sleeping, I'll do it laying down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Bladderbrain said:
Really it's going to be up to experience. I know a lot of people who swear by bottom tapes first, i prefer top first. Bed works fine for me. If I do it standing I find something to lean on. As far as how I decide, if I'm going to be up moving around I'll diaper myself standing up. If I'm going to be sitting or sleeping, I'll do it laying down.

Okay thanks for the Tips. I only wear them to bed but I'm a active sleeper. And tbh I can't put them on while standing.
If I may ask why do you do the top tapes first?

For me it's easier to get the bottom tapes in just right. They tend to get into that just right spot.
Drynites96 said:
Okay thanks for the Tips. I only wear them to bed but I'm a active sleeper. And tbh I can't put them on while standing.
If I may ask why do you do the top tapes first?

Bladderbrain said:
For me it's easier to get the bottom tapes in just right. They tend to get into that just right spot.

Okay thanks

NeverKnow said:
I found this video pretty helpful.

I used to do top tapes first, didn't really understand how people got bottom first to work; when I tried it, I would always get one leg way too tight, and then when the other would not get anywhere near as far as it needed to go, I'd be undoing the retry tapes and it was really ugly or worse. Hard to say what changed. I have a better idea of how to collect and position the leg gathers and start with getting a snug fit around the legs now. The key is that you are using the lower tapes not for support but to get a good fit around the legs. Top tapes are for support.

I have also found that it is helpful to bend a bit, as the fit around the legs is looser when you're bending, so that when you stand erect or sit or lay down, you get a tighter seal around the legs. I find it much easier to do this standing up.
So I should do the bottom ones first?

And does it help when I bend my legs a bit?

Bladderbrain said:
Really it's going to be up to experience. I know a lot of people who swear by bottom tapes first, i prefer top first. Bed works fine for me.

I've changed a lot of diapers over the years, and I've found it's best to be standing up, and do top tapes first. The tapes serve different purposes. The tops are to keep your diaper UP and around your belt line, just above where your hips are the widest. The lowers are to pull up and out on the leg elastic to draw the diaper in snug front and back, and they fit below the belt line, so they really can't hold your diaper up in position by themselves.

So I attach the tops first because I need to get the diaper UP at the right height and hold it in the correct position for when I attach the lower tapes. It's very difficult to judge where to attach the lowers when there's nothing holding the diaper in position.

Laying down is probably more natural, but only if you can do the tapes without looking, (which I haven't gotten the knack for yet) otherwise you have to lean forward and that REALLY screws up your fit. Trying to tape up a diaper while laying on a soft surface (like a bed) where you sink in also makes it harder to get a good fit. It's also mostly impractical when on-the-go, and only being able to change your diaper when you're at home is a pretty big limitation. Who wants to lay on the floor in a public restroom?

bambinod said:
I've changed a lot of diapers over the years, and I've found it's best to be standing up, and do top tapes first. The tapes serve different purposes. The tops are to keep your diaper UP and around your belt line, just above where your hips are the widest. The lowers are to pull up and out on the leg elastic to draw the diaper in snug front and back, and they fit below the belt line, so they really can't hold your diaper up in position by themselves.

So I attach the tops first because I need to get the diaper UP at the right height and hold it in the correct position for when I attach the lower tapes. It's very difficult to judge where to attach the lowers when there's nothing holding the diaper in position.

Laying down is probably more natural, but only if you can do the tapes without looking, (which I haven't gotten the knack for yet) otherwise you have to lean forward and that REALLY screws up your fit. Trying to tape up a diaper while laying on a soft surface (like a bed) where you sink in also makes it harder to get a good fit. It's also mostly impractical when on-the-go, and only being able to change your diaper when you're at home is a pretty big limitation. Who wants to lay on the floor in a public restroom?

Thanks for the great explaination Bambinod. My Problem is that I can't put them on while standing because I can't keep my Balance so well. And I don't need to worry about changing in a public restroom because I only wear them to bed.

NeverKnow said:
Well, they're variables which you should try taking into account. In the end you need to experiment and figure out what works for you. It might be worth getting a sample or a pack of cloth-backed diapers with endlessly refastenable tapes so you can experiment a bit, if you think that would help.
Hmm yeah that might be best...

Drynites96 said:
Thanks for the great explaination Bambinod. My Problem is that I can't put them on while standing because I can't keep my Balance so well.

In that case I definitely recommend my alternate method! My wear-to-work diaper is a ABU Preschool Plastic or Tykables Little Builders. For those, I know exactly where all the tapes need to be, and I pre-tape them for the next morning. So when morning comes, I just dash on a little powder, pull them up like a pullup, and then lift away the sides a bit and dash in a little more powder to keep my hips from sweating.

It's not difficult to learn how to pull up a taped disposable diaper. And it insures a consistent, perfect fit, every time. It's also faster. It's very annoying to be running a little late for work and get sloppy with the tapes or have some other "malfunction" and have to rip off a diaper and grab another one to try again. For me, it's just powder, pull, powder, and GO!

I suppose that might work for diaper changes on-the-go also, but diapers get more awkward when pretaped. They are folded in half, not in thirds, so they're longer. I keep a change in the lid of my lunch box, and they only just fit when tri-folded, so I don't prefold that change. (I don't need it very often anyway)

Here's a picture from an album here that shows how I pretape a preschool:

attachment.php

bambinod said:
In that case I definitely recommend my alternate method! My wear-to-work diaper is a ABU Preschool Plastic or Tykables Little Builders. For those, I know exactly where all the tapes need to be, and I pre-tape them for the next morning. So when morning comes, I just dash on a little powder, pull them up like a pullup, and then lift away the sides a bit and dash in a little more powder to keep my hips from sweating.

It's not difficult to learn how to pull up a taped disposable diaper. And it insures a consistent, perfect fit, every time. It's also faster. It's very annoying to be running a little late for work and get sloppy with the tapes or have some other "malfunction" and have to rip off a diaper and grab another one to try again. For me, it's just powder, pull, powder, and GO!

I suppose that might work for diaper changes on-the-go also, but diapers get more awkward when pretaped. They are folded in half, not in thirds, so they're longer. I keep a change in the lid of my lunch box, and they only just fit when tri-folded, so I don't prefold that change. (I don't need it very often anyway)

Here's a picture from an album here that shows how I pretape a preschool:

attachment.php
Hmm I'll definitely that sometime

Ghostdinosawur said:
I usually lay down and pull up the diaper into my crotch so it's as high and snug as possible, then put on each bottom tape tight around the legs, then pull it up again, suck in my stomach, then put the upper tapes as tight as possible while sucking in my gut a little bit so that it doesn't fall below my hip

Uhm why do you suck in your stomach? To get a tighter fit?

I have found that taping the top tapes first works best for me. I normally change laying down, but I have no issue changing while standing up. Honestly it really depends on your body type in my opinion. I'm 150lbs on my heaviest days and that's what works for me. I also found that folding the diaper length wise will aid in preventing leaks. As well as running a finger up the leak guards to unstuck then from the padding since they sometimes get stuck folded down. Friends I know that are heavier change differently. It's the same with 2 tape diapers they always fit me fine but for others they swear by the 4 tape cause of fit.

standing up against the wall/door works best for me.

first i take my diaper and make a taco out of it and give it a good roll or what have you to get it wanting to go into the right shape.

then i goto the wall and place it between my legs holding the back up to about the right position and then hold it where with my butt against the wall

next i let the front down and spread my legs a little as i pull it back up into position to set the leak guards and allow the leg gathers to fold outwards.

after that i make fine tuned adjustments and pull against the lower tapes (without opening them) to feel the rear out and see if it hugs my butt correctly.

once im satisfied i do the bottom tapes first(i try and place them about mid way up the front so as to allow my thighs freedom of movement), then i take a second(off the wall) to smooth out the pleats and pull the diaper up snugly(and apply powder).

finally i do the tops(in reverse order of the bottoms; so if i started on the left tape on bottom...i start with the right tape on top)(when i place the tops i pull them across and down some so that it pulls the top of the rear snug to my waist and simultaneously it pulls up on the front of the diaper)

hope this helps. it took a little practice, i was skeptical of doing it standing up at first but, I've tried many methods and different ways and this works the best for me. Its also import to have the right size diaper.

I find standing up and using a wall to hold the diaper inplace works best for me and after a lot of practice and 3.5 years of being diapered 24/7 changing does not take long at all :)

I agree you can get a tighter fit if you lay down to put on your diaper but its not practical when you are out and about so standing is my prefered way to change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back