Highchair and stroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
littlemoosey said:
Well nice job. Looks like allot of attention to detail. I still have to laugh when I seen the picture of you sitting in it with a computer!

My son never used a computer when he was in his highchair! You must have been very advanced for your age!

*giggles a lot* :giggles: That´s twrue! Nowadays babbs can be good with all kind devices! :biggrin: Though.. I guess you are right about that toy laptop might be more suitable and more safer for my use and more appropriate for my stage! :D

- - - Updated - - -

GDNTSKID said:
That is an awesome chair and seeing how you made it was great too. I love the fact that your feet can dangle when sitting in the chair. Gives it more of a little feel.

Thankies for you too! :3 Yuh! It is really one of the best feelings and same thing happened kinda accidentally with our crib! Hehe! :smile1: I noticed it afterwards when we (me and my bigbwo) put parts together and I was actually nicely surprised when I noticed that it haves that feature too :D

PaciL0ver said:
I wondered in which highchair or stroller I could still fit. However, I hope not to have to pay a high price. Maybe I will fit in larger models of modern highchairs and strollers?

I weigh 126 pounds and I am 5 feet and 6 inches tall.

I am like the same exact weight and everything. You would think there would be a stroller available for us in that weight/height range. I've been looking at special needs strollers but 90% of them do not look childish. The special tomato ones are the closet to looking like it was made for a kid but its back height is like up to 26". and its weight I think is like 90lb. I think you could probably get away from the weight but not sure if it would be uncomfortable sitting in it.

If they could just remake that one a little bigger it be perfect. For some reason it is like the second it get to age range 12 for strollers they just throw out the whole "nice looking" concepts and go straight for special needs. Which doesn't make much sense to me at all. Shouldn't they be making special needs products that are built for them and don't look like they are made for special needs. Like come on everyone likes a good aesthetic, even they deserve that. They don't have to make it babyish but they could at least make it more cool looking or something.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-16750746105545/eio-push-chair-43.jpg

https://www.specialtomato.com/eiopushchair.html

Edit:

Here is another one but this one looks more special needs. The good thing is it looks like you could probably modify it by adding on your own custom sitting patterns to surround the metal and give it a more childish look.

https://www.specialneedssolutions.com.au/product/pixi-stroller/

Edit 2:

Here is another one that would need modding but should work out.
https://www.adaptivemall.com/axiomlassen4.html

If you want to get these cheaper you probably have to go on ebay. Seeing as how some of them are like 700 bucks you might be able to get them way cheaper. I mean I bought a cintiq on ebay for like 400 bucks and that normally sells for min 3k or so.

Last edited:
Schwanensee said:
For high chairs, there's a brand that's very common in europe at least, I don't know about the rest of the world...it's called STOKKE and their high-chairs are called Tripp Trapp. They are meant to "grow" with the child, so you can easily modify the height of both the seat and the footrest, and they are meant to also support adults (they claim it easily supports up to 85kg/187 pounds). We still have one from when I was a baby and it is quite comfy. Only thing is, they don't have a table attached, since they're meant for children who want to sit at the table with their parents.

This specific one is kind of expensive, but there are lots of similar ones that are cheaper. Go for one made of wood rather than plastic, that's much less likely to collapse on you. I'll include a link to the official website of the chair I have, but that's just to illustrate what I mean :) Also, if you dig a little, you could surely find a second-hand-one.

I'm heavier than you, but I'm about the same height, so if I fit into that chair, you should definitely fit as well. And like I said, they're meant to easily hold an adult, so the center of gravity is also not a problem.
https://www.baby-walz.de/p/stokke-tripp-trapp-treppenhochstuhl-p1024666/?variantId=P1024666_48649227
When I was younger, I used it. But I really do not get the baby feeling . It is nice and warm with the covers over the wood.

When I was fifteen or sixteen years old, I could still fit in a carrying basket from Maxi-Cosi. I even got the belts on! It looks something like this, perhaps it was an older model.
30074d1311674441-sale-bloom-fresco-high-chair-maxi-cosi-car-seat-etc-mc3.jpg

I am around your weight, but a little bit shorter.

I have not yet found a stroller that could not support me. The flimsy little foldy "umbrella strollers" (the REAL cheap ones) are sketchy and impossible to push with that much weight in them, but everything above those seems to work fine.

My favorite is a BOB Revolution SE which I picked up on a yard sale for twenty bucks several years ago. Yes, years - and I have friends willing to push me around in it such that it's probably handled 40 or so miles with me in it so far. Zero problems.

High chairs? I suppose the modern ones look flimsy but they aren't as bad as they look. They ARE tiny though.

I saw a CPSC standard specification for ride-on toys years ago, requiring that a toy be able to survive several times the average weight of the age it's marketed for, without breaking in a way that would cause injury. I can't remember the exact standard (nor is google helping) but it is definitely more than two times. A stroller isn't a toy but similar standards apply... so if you look at a stroller with a 40-pound weight limit, in order to be legally sold here (and the company not to be sued) it should hold up 120... and from what I've experienced thus far, all of them do.

I did manage to break one of the crappy umbrella ones, but not by normal use. I broke it intentionally. I wanted to see what it could take. I sat in it, then lifted the entire thing up with me and dropped in it from two feet in the air. I was probably around 100 lbs at the time, and it took several drops before the back frame finally folded.

Hi private1 Over the years I have tried many high chairs and most were either too small or I could not get into them or they would brake under me weight. The Graco neat seat has been the best. I have one in the shop which I am sitting in at this time and one that I use as my feeding chair and the two have been in use for a long time. The only draw back is this is an older seat and may be hard to find. The other that was good is the Fisher Price chair but it had two things that I did not like one the back rest was too straight up where the neat seat is more comfortable and it has no wheels
DSCN2604 (319x640).jpg
DSCN2605.JPG
DSCN2607 (391x640).jpg

tobid03 said:
I use a Graco literider stroller myself. I think it works pretty well. It's about 60 or 70 dollars. An added bonus, the straps, at least the waist area, fit if you're skinny enough.

How tall are you and do your feet drag on the ground?
Does your head fit underneath the canopy?
Do your shoulders go way over it?
Is the seat depth pretty large?

It says the seat depth is 30" on the website, but I am assuming that is when it reclines all the way back with the carrier inside of it.
I am assuming it is like 12 in seat depth then since it says seat height is 18".

I am not trying to sound like some rude person I just feel like that info is really important in determining if it will work for someone else who might be taller than you and such.

No problem! Just as a disclaimer, there's always a possibility that something was changed since I got it. I don't think it happened, but just throwing it out there.

How tall are you and do your feet drag on the ground?

5'4" to 5'5". Yes, but you can always stick your feet on the foot rest. I can even attach the tray and put my feet on the footrest if I slant my legs (i.e feet together and knees far apart--this probably wouldn't work for tall people), but the footrest thing in general might be more awkward for tall people.

Does your head fit underneath the canopy?

No. You'd probably have to be like 7 years old for that to work.

Do your shoulders go way over it?

The canopy is about shoulder height. If I lay my head back, my head is on the canopy/cupholder/push bar area. As an aside, I once fell asleep like this. That was an interesting night...

Is the seat depth pretty large?

Depth - 9" to 11" - There's about a 2 inch flappy section.

Some other measurements:

Seat width - 12 in.

When I'm all strapped in by the lower belts, the buckle sits kind of low on the diaper area, so take that into consideration.

The crotch belt is 6 inches fully extended. It's attachment point is 4 inches from the seatback.

Each waist belt is 12" fully extended which makes 2 waist belts come out to 24". 2" is the buckle distance. The distance between the attachment points on the seat back is about 3 1/2". So in theory, a total of ~29 inches, but whether someone would fit depends on their body type.

The attachment points for the waist belt are about an inch above the seat base.

The shoulder belts won't work for anyone unless you're kid-sized. However, I did modify them by removing them from the seat back and adding an additional strap and then looping them around the handlebars. So that kind of works minus the points for not being as realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor
Just following the conversation here.
I have been looking at one of those Gerri Chairs that has a wrap-around tray and harness restraint similar to a school-age special needs positioning chair.

PaciL0ver said:
When I was fifteen or sixteen years old, I could still fit in a carrying basket from Maxi-Cosi. I even got the belts on! It looks something like this, perhaps it was an older model.
30074d1311674441-sale-bloom-fresco-high-chair-maxi-cosi-car-seat-etc-mc3.jpg
For clarification. I could only fit in (with straps on!) if the canopy is unfolded and not connected to the children's basket.
bn3baby said:
Hi private1 Over the years I have tried many high chairs and most were either too small or I could not get into them or they would brake under me weight. The Graco neat seat has been the best. I have one in the shop which I am sitting in at this time and one that I use as my feeding chair and the two have been in use for a long time. The only draw back is this is an older seat and may be hard to find. The other that was good is the Fisher Price chair but it had two things that I did not like one the back rest was too straight up where the neat seat is more comfortable and it has no wheels
How can you climb in the Graco Neat Seat? Can the tray table be removed to be able to use it?
And what does that Fisher Price highchair look like? Which is easier to obtain?

For me, the only thing which fits a 239# guy like me with Cerebral Palsy is a medical 'Gerri-Chair".
I like this one which has an attached spill-proof feeding/activity tray:
GerriChair1.jpg

PaciL0ver said:
For clarification. I could only fit in (with straps on!) if the canopy is unfolded and not connected to the children's basket.

How can you climb in the Graco Neat Seat? Can the tray table be removed to be able to use it?
And what does that Fisher Price highchair look like? Which is easier to obtain?

Hi PaciLlOver.

If you look at the photos you can see the tray comes off there is however the top to the "T" bar that will have to be removed. This can be done with a flat screw driver see photos before and after. To get in the seat just back into seat put hands on the sides of the seat place one foot on the foot rest and lift yourself in as your smaller that I am you will right at home in the chair then on goes the tray.

DSCN2710 (640x480).jpg DSCN2711 (640x480).jpg

I have been looking at Gerri Chairs, as I have said.
This one looks a little less medical, and it would hold me securely and safely.
524-sl.jpg

caitianx said:
I have been looking at Gerri Chairs, as I have said.
This one looks a little less medical, and it would hold me securely and safely.
View attachment 31019

I would like that if it came in pink or blue or something. It looks lovely and sturdy. :3

CuddleWoozle said:
I would like that if it came in pink or blue or something. It looks lovely and sturdy. :3

This Gerri Chair can also double as a pseudo "High Chair" with its integrated "wrap-around tray", which would be useful for me as a 60 year-old with Cerebral Palsy.
A Gerri Chair like this would give me more spinal support for sitting for long periods, either watching TV or using my laptop computer.

Here is the URL for the supplier:

https://www.cpr-savers.com/Extra-Wide-Geri-Chair_p_10035.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back