Adults with Teddy Bears or Plushies much more common than you think!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyBearCowboy

A real-life, genuine teddy bear cowboy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
:detective3 Soooo... I have posted about this before, but there recently has been some updated surveys regarding how many adults may sleep with teddy bears and plushies.

One of the most recent studies shares their results that up to 40% of U.S. adults still sleep with a stuffed animal or teddy bear of some sort.

https://www.studyfinds.org/teddy-bears-stuffed-animals-adults/

Other recent studies do not portray quite as high a number, but still a significant amount.

https://www.today.com/health/turns-out-sleeping-stuffed-animal-child-can-impact-you-adult-t111567

And as for still having a stuffed animal or teddy bear, a recent study showed 51% of adult men still kept a stuffed animal with 28% saying they still cuddled with it.

https://melmagazine.com/the-surprisingly-non-creepy-reasons-so-many-adult-men-still-sleep-with-a-stuffed-animal-f4e7c409692b

I think these are some really amazing studies, in that they prove what most of us who are ABDL already know, that some of the things of being little, such as cuddling with teddy bears is a pretty good thing.

:detective3 TeddyBearCowboy

Interesting that such a common thing is still some sort of taboo.
Recently I told my psychologist that I sleep with plushies (don't ask why :tongueout:) and I excused myself by saying that 35% of adults do. She then admitted that she has plushies herself :smile1:

I also read that 25% of men who sleep with a teddy takes it with him on a business trip. But also that one in ten hides his furry friend from his girlfriend. Some spouses are still unaware of the third one in bed after many years of marriage. Can you imagine that?

In 2015 a very nice book was published in the Netherlands called 'Verborgen vrienden' (Hidden friends) by Nienke Koedijk, portraying many people with their best friend. Dutch only unfortunately.

I've always loved my fluffy buddies. Someone told me once when I was young that when I got married I would have to throw them all out so my husband could move in.

I said "Who says I'm getting married?" (Still am not, and still am not interested. LOL!)

*burrows into her plushie pals for a well-deserved sleep*

I take my plushies everywhere, even when you can't see them. I take them in my bag most of the time and when we go on trips, I take them to the hotel. (Mainly because my mom has discovered over the years that if I don't take at least one friend with me, I will buy three more friends to take home. LOL)

I have two bears (one of them I sleep with every night and his name is Barry), a little Fozzie bear (waka waka), a big Tigger, Spongebob, a bunny, two monkeys, a Fiona doll, a little piggy, and I might get a Pikachu stuffie soon.

TeddyBearCowboy said:
:detective3 Soooo... I have posted about this before, but there recently has been some updated surveys regarding how many adults may sleep with teddy bears and plushies.

One of the most recent studies shares their results that up to 40% of U.S. adults still sleep with a stuffed animal or teddy bear of some sort.

https://www.studyfinds.org/teddy-bears-stuffed-animals-adults/

Other recent studies do not portray quite as high a number, but still a significant amount.

https://www.today.com/health/turns-out-sleeping-stuffed-animal-child-can-impact-you-adult-t111567

And as for still having a stuffed animal or teddy bear, a recent study showed 51% of adult men still kept a stuffed animal with 28% saying they still cuddled with it.

https://melmagazine.com/the-surprisingly-non-creepy-reasons-so-many-adult-men-still-sleep-with-a-stuffed-animal-f4e7c409692b

I think these are some really amazing studies, in that they prove what most of us who are ABDL already know, that some of the things of being little, such as cuddling with teddy bears is a pretty good thing.

:detective3 TeddyBearCowboy

Thank you so much for these links!!!!

Thanks for the links to the articles! I have two stuffies in particular that I sleep with, but my entire collection is enormous! I have a real weakness for teddy bears and unicorns! :) When I was a child, I had lots of them, too. Never cared much for dolls, but stuffies were a whole other story!

I think people and especially men, who sleep with plushies, do so because deep down inside, they're scared to death. Anton Burge wrote in his play, "The Hour of the Wolf" about that hour in the middle of the night, 3:00 am when a person wakes in a cold sweat, terrified that one day he will die. There are plenty of other things to be scared about, often job and finances, but fear is fear. I think more and more people need that reassurance that a plushie can provide, thinking (regressing) to a safer time of innocence when we didn't question our own mortality and where we are after death.

dogboy said:
Anton Burge wrote in his play, "The Hour of the Wolf" about that hour in the middle of the night, 3:00 am when a person wakes in a cold sweat, terrified that one day he will die.

Damn Dogboy, this is scary...
I just woke up around 3:00 am in a cold sweat and decided to take a look at Adisc... :tongueout:

I'm surprised the numbers are so high but...

I think the reason I think this is because I have never (as far as I know) had a plushie or stuffed animal that I slept with.

A few years ago, I purchased a plushie but I was never comfortable sleeping with it. Not because I was concerned about the plushie but I just couldn't get myself into a comfortable position to sleep with it (I twist and turn a lot when I sleep or try to). I did and still do, suck my thumb but having a plushie just isn't for me (at least at present).

I don't usually sleep with a plushie but I have my blanket. When it is too warm to sleep covered, I'll ball it up and cuddle with it.

dogboy said:
I think people and especially men, who sleep with plushies, do so because deep down inside, they're scared to death. Anton Burge wrote in his play, "The Hour of the Wolf" about that hour in the middle of the night, 3:00 am when a person wakes in a cold sweat, terrified that one day he will die. There are plenty of other things to be scared about, often job and finances, but fear is fear. I think more and more people need that reassurance that a plushie can provide, thinking (regressing) to a safer time of innocence when we didn't question our own mortality and where we are after death.

Dogboy, I appreciate this observation and thank you for sharing your point of view.

... However, I actually feel the perception of connecting with a plushie is because of fear is is kind of sad. --For me, my plushies and teddy bears have nothing at all to do with fear. Rather it is the complete opposite. They are about friendship and feeling of happiness.

While they provide comfort and security, they also are an object that I can share things with even as a best friend. To those who don't experience this, I am sure that statement may sound odd. But for many of us, it is second nature. Our plushies are something we are able to share ourselves with that do not judge us, or criticize us, but simply give back good feelings of happiness and are there for us.

I admit that at times when my life becomes way to complex and conflugated, I certainly seek out my precious fluffy friend and friends. But to associate that because I am afraid is not really true. Just as when you are needing comfort you might seek out a good friend, it is kind of the same in nature about my plushies. They are the best non-judgemental friends I know of.

Is this crazy? I don't think so. There certainly is some psychology going on, but the studies I have shared and others all point to the fact that it is not uncommon to have a plushie that remains a part of us and we enjoy as a companion. Seems the attraction to plushies (for whatever reason) is something that is not just ABDL, but that many people have as a part of their life.

--Is part of why I am and my avatar is Teddy Bear.

:detective3

Makubird said:
Damn Dogboy, this is scary...
I just woke up around 3:00 am in a cold sweat and decided to take a look at Adisc... :tongueout:

Ah.....it's all about timing. Ghostly, horrifying timing!

- - - Updated - - -

TeddyBearCowboy said:
Dogboy, I appreciate this observation and thank you for sharing your point of view.

... However, I actually feel the perception of connecting with a plushie is because of fear is is kind of sad. --For me, my plushies and teddy bears have nothing at all to do with fear. Rather it is the complete opposite. They are about friendship and feeling of happiness.

Oh, but you wouldn't say that if you lived in my house. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and they're up. I hear their little padded paws racing from the bedroom to the kitchen. I hear the knife drawer open up and the giggling, their horrific giggling and their soft whispers. One of the smaller ones will drop their knife, their little paw struggling to hold the large carving knife and the others, the others with their shusshing and their admonishments!

It's at this point that I say to my big teddy bear, "Will you go out there and settle them. I'm trying to get some sleep. In the morning, there's a little extra fluff on the kitchen floor and my teddy bear has that satisfied look on his face. Night comes once again and all too soon.

dogboy said:
Oh, but you wouldn't say that if you lived in my house. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and they're up. I hear their little padded paws racing from the bedroom to the kitchen. I hear the knife drawer open up and the giggling, their horrific giggling and their soft whispers. One of the smaller ones will drop their knife, their little paw struggling to hold the large carving knife and the others, the others with their shusshing and their admonishments!

It's at this point that I say to my big teddy bear, "Will you go out there and settle them. I'm trying to get some sleep. In the morning, there's a little extra fluff on the kitchen floor and my teddy bear has that satisfied look on his face. Night comes once again and all too soon.

Have you tried setting some traps?

Actually, since I am on antidepressants I have a side effect called 'REM sleep without atonia' or 'REM sleep behaviour disorder' which causes dream enacting behavior. When I wake up I often find my plushies in a very different place than where I put them when I went to sleep. First time that happened it was a bit scary :sad:

Now I just know that my friends are running around in my bed when I am asleep.

Are you sure it's just REM? Okay... just kidding. Life does strange things to us. I actually only sleep with two of my plushies now. My wife gave me all of my plushies and most of them stopped existing after she died, but Maf-Maf and Fluppy are still part of my life.

dogboy said:
My wife gave me all of my plushies and most of them stopped existing after she died,...

Oh, that is so sad... :sad:
My plushies just told me they are feeling sorry for you... Really.

Makubird said:
Oh, that is so sad... :sad:
My plushies just told me they are feeling sorry for you... Really.

Thanks. When my wife was alive, I used to have Plushie Theater which was me and the plushies reenacting whatever was happening on the TV. I had hooked her up to her kidney dialysis machine and we watched TV for a couple of hours before we turned off the lights. The plushies would lighten the psychological load, so to speak. Imagine all of her blood going out of her, into the machine and back while we were supposed to sleep through all of that. Every night I wondered if I would wake up to find all of her blood on the floor because something failed. We did that for ten years, and for ten years, we had "Plushie Theater". Most of the plushies are silent as they've lost their voice.

dogboy said:
Thanks. When my wife was alive, I used to have Plushie Theater which was me and the plushies reenacting whatever was happening on the TV. I had hooked her up to her kidney dialysis machine and we watched TV for a couple of hours before we turned off the lights. The plushies would lighten the psychological load, so to speak. Imagine all of her blood going out of her, into the machine and back while we were supposed to sleep through all of that. Every night I wondered if I would wake up to find all of her blood on the floor because something failed. We did that for ten years, and for ten years, we had "Plushie Theater". Most of the plushies are silent as they've lost their voice.

I'm so sorry for your loss, dogboy. Thanks for sharing your memories... heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back