Wetting Shy

Status
Not open for further replies.

booklover

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I am new to wearing diapers. I have worn them in the past, but very on and off. I just bought my first pack yesterday, and I am having difficulty wetting it. It seems to work while standing, but I want to be able to wet while sitting or laying down. Any tips?

Wetting while lying down is actually quite difficult. I had to strain to do it and that wasn't good. Sitting or reclining is easier, but I can't go when sitting straight up. Best advice I heard here was to start going in a slightly reclined position then over time, slowly start reclining more and more until you are lying down.

For me, before I became ic, I found lying face down (mostly) and putting my legs in an "h" position (one leg straight, one bent) helped. Recently, I have had good luck lying on my back and bending my knees up with my feet on the bed.

Relax, don't force it.

booklover said:
I am new to wearing diapers. I have worn them in the past, but very on and off. I just bought my first pack yesterday, and I am having difficulty wetting it. It seems to work while standing, but I want to be able to wet while sitting or laying down. Any tips?

Practice, practice, practice!

The more you wet your diapers, the more control you'll get over your bladder, and the easier it'll be to wet where you want, when you want.

Hint: don't think "if I drink a ton of water it'll force me to wet my diaper!" No, it won't. It'll just get uncomfortable and you'll lock up that much harder. Drinking more WILL give you more "opportunities" to wet frequently though, if you're in a situation where you can already manage to wet your diaper. I tried drinking a lot before bed, thinking it'd just force me to wet my diaper, and it did NOT work. What did work was whenever I woke up (and I wake up a lot overnight) is to wet, even if only a little, and then go back to sleep. It's not how much you wet, it's how often.

Also, part of it is just being in circumstances that aren't "familiar" to your bladder releasing. So finding other situations to try to wet will also help you. Early on I could wet my diaper while standing in front of the toilet only. Then moved on to standing other places. Then while wearing pants. The big leap was going outside the house and being able to wet while say, standing in my driveway. Find situations that are difficult, but not impossible, and practice them until they're easy. Then move on to something else that used to be impossible but now is just difficult. Work your way up. It took me over a year before I could easily wet my diaper while laying down in bed, but I had a really shy bladder. I fixed that with my "diaper therapy" ;)

You'll know you've got it licked when you can wet your diaper while driving!

It's fairly common to be a bit bladder shy when wearing for the first time, the first few times as a matter of fact. This is what is chiefly referred to as the potty-training block, a mental block instilled in us when we first begin toilet training. Navigating this block takes time and like others have said practice. I've been wearing diapers with some consistency for the last 6 years and sometimes I still find that mental block creeping in on occasion, mostly when it comes to messing, not so much now when it comes to wetting, I'm a pro at that :)

When I was first starting out though, I just couldn't wet or do anything in my diaper. I felt this weird sense of shame deep in the back of my mind and despite having the security of a diaper, I just couldn't let go, my body would physically tense up, I would end up beginning to wet, but pausing mid stream. It's not a very nice feeling, especially when you are trying to regress and enter that baby mindset.

Fortunately, after wearing off and on for the first year and a half that I was on my own, I found the block starting to fade. 6 years in and I can now wet with little to no effort when diapered. So yeah, as others have said here, try to wear with more regularity and practice. The more you wear, the easier this will become :)

I had to wet my diaper while standing up for a while without pants on. I couldn't do it in public either, I had to have my pants off before my bladder released. Then I started to sit on the toilet without pulling my nappy down and quickly started wetting in other places. Now I can wet myself while sitting on my bed, sitting on the bus, standing up at work, even close to my friends and nobody knows I'm peeing myself. I still need to work on wetting while laying down. Just keep trying and you'll get there.

Wetting in any position other than "normal" takes a lot of practice. For a long time you'll feel like a squirt gun that can only go in spirts. Just keep trying as you can and you'll get there but it's not a fast process.

Relaxation/visualization techniques can help as well. Just try to relax and visualize flowing water rain, waterfalls or whatever suggests flowing liquid. It may help you get relaxed enough to wet. Don't try to force it, just let it happen--give yourself permission to wet. Quietly remind yourself that you are padded and that you won't make a big mess in your bed or chair. (Though a bed pad helps the confidence here too.)

Onesieman said:
I had to wet my diaper while standing up for a while without pants on. I couldn't do it in public either, I had to have my pants off before my bladder released. Then I started to sit on the toilet without pulling my nappy down and quickly started wetting in other places. Now I can wet myself while sitting on my bed, sitting on the bus, standing up at work, even close to my friends and nobody knows I'm peeing myself. I still need to work on wetting while laying down. Just keep trying and you'll get there.

I'll second the "sitting on the toilet whilst diapered" suggestion. It's a familiar setting with regard to bodily functions, so flips the switch in your brain that tells it it's ok to go. Visit the bathroom when you naturally need to go (i.e don't force it) and stand at / sit on the toilet as you normally would. Basically forget you're wearing a diaper and do exactly what you'd do if not wearing. The familiar setting will stop your brain from focusing on the fact you're diapered, and after a few times, you'll have added a new program to your brain in a file marked "going in a diaper". Once you have that, it'll become easier to use the diaper away from the bathroom, as your brain now knows what code to run. It takes time, as you're having to rewrite habits that have been hardwired into you for many, many years, but you will get there. Good luck!

Thank you all for your help!! I have gotten a lot better since wearing more. I wore one to the park today and had a much easier time wetting myself (even when sitting down). I also managed to wet my diaper while getting ready this morning :) i agree that my brain is slowly realizing that when i am in a diaper i am protected.

It can be pretty difficult at first, takes a little bit to get to know and trust your diaper.

Relax, don't strain, and try sitting on the toilet or standing in the shower.

You wouldn't think it but it sometimes takes quite a bit because your brain keeps saying "This isn't the potty! Bad boy/girl no!"

Like some others have said I think it's just trial and error. Keep doing it until it feels more natural. Being alone makes it easier. Even I sometimes have trouble getting going if I am around a lot of people. If you really have to go sometimes it's really easy. So if you must just drink a lot and it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back