Will Disposable diapers die out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan2127

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Do you think that diapers will ever become extinct and some type of other method will take over?

Who else has this fear?

Can anyone give this a hypothetical realistic rundown of what could take over disposable diapers? I mean, they still sell like crazy so we cant be anywhere close to the end... right?

My thought is that if it ever does happen, it wont be in any of our lifetimes anyway so why worry. But theres always that chance...

What are your thoughts!?

I don't think they will go anytime soon. With an ever growing older population that has been accepting diapers as a new found freedom, I can't see this ever changing. Perhaps cloth reusable ones will grow more in popularity over time as cost and Enviornmental impacts become more realized. But we live in a fast and convenience filled society, so disposables will be here for a long time in my opinion.

Will diapers die out? - I sincerely doubt diapers will ever go away.

Will disposable diapers die out? - Possibly. Regular cloth diapers may make a come back but if they do, I think it will not be anytime soon.

In short - I don't worry about this at all.

I don't think so.

As environmentally friendly and savvy as people become to environmental issues, most parents I know, including younger ones go with disposable diapers out of the sheer convenience; they get used, you change them and throw them away, no fuss no muss. I don't know many people in my family or circle of friends who are patient enough to want to painstakingly wash a pile of soiled cloth diapers. Furthermore, while there may be a cloth diaper resurgence amongst hipster, trendy and environmentally conscious parents, I doubt there is going to be a cloth resurgence among the elderly crowd or the incontinent. Hospitals, nursing homes and most people with incontinence turn to disposables for the same reasons that parents do, general convenience and ready availability.

So no, I don't think diapers, disposable or otherwise are going to be going anywhere any time soon.

I think all diapers will eventually end up being a dying breed, and in their place, we will get undergarments that collect waste for easy recycling in small bags. But then again, I keep reading a bunch of heavy sci-fi books ;)

I doubt disposable diapers will ever go away, they will always exist in some form. Originally when they were introduced, disposable diapers were mostly meant for families who traveled a lot, where using cloth diapers would be undesirable as the need to wash them would cause much inconvenience when you are on the move. Now, obviously disposable diapers are a very popular choice all around because of the simple fact of you put it on your baby, you change it, then you throw it away. Much easier than having to wash cloth diapers which takes a great amount of time to do, depending on what type they are. In the future where conventional plastic or SAP can no longer be acquired, people will invent another way. That's how it's always been. They could for example start using plastic from hemp for diapers instead of using plastic from oil production. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure conventional plastic is a byproduct of oil and so is SAP. Hemp would solve the plastic part of the problem, but I suppose they would also need to find sap material that is just as capable of absorbing fluids. But we probably won't have to worry about any of this in our lifetimes, then again who knows what the future holds?

That's like asking will cars ever die out. Not likely. Now gasoline engines, probably one day but that's way off in the future. The same with diapers. Thry may be "changed", but will likely never go away.

We're going to be hooked up to VR machines and live our life out in there, while we're attached to these machines that will also take and recycle our waste.

MickeyM said:
We're going to be hooked up to VR machines and live our life out in there, while we're attached to these machines that will also take and recycle our waste.

I'm already on one and sadly, you guys are nothing more than part of my programming. Oh...they're having fun with me! Help....

I doubt they will go away but as technology and materials evolve, we'll see more changes in diapers and their construction as time goes in.

It re-surfaces quite often as I think it highlights one of the most fundamental fears of a DL. Wearers of disposables in particular rely on a technology that has questionable long-term sustainability. A more sustainable alternative could take over quite rapidly if the organisations presently involved in the diaper supply chain could turn a profit from it. The development could be anything from a consumer spinoff of a high tech development (the Space Poop Challenge was a reminder that people are working on this behind the scenes) to the availability of a new material that is a byproduct of something else.

For examples, suppose someone developed a really effective skin-safe adhesive pad that is super-flexible and soft, that can be released with a quick spray of something equally safe. This could be used as an improved seal element for a fecal collection bag; these already exist for medical purposes, and were used for space crew. I've tried them and even in their present form they work surprisingly well. Add the same kind of upgrade to existing urine collection systems and presto, wearable toileting with no need for the waste production or laundry requirements of diapers. It's possible.

But there's a silver lining, albeit a rather far-fetched one: If wearable toileting appliances were effective, hygienic, affordable and sustainable, the could also become socially acceptable and that would help to de-stigmatise wearing diapers, which would still have to exist for those situations where the bag-based systems would not suit. It could even lead to the demise of the toilet as we know it today... (I said it was far-fetched!)

I don’t see disposable diapers dying out anytime soon, but I could see more cloth diaper users in the future, meaning less disposables going to the landfills.

The only way I see this dying out is. Artificial Bladders and bowl implants that can control your waste automatically or with a button. With the way, government-run insurance companies like SSD Or Insurance companies. Thing is If you have an implant they don't make money.

Well, we don't care. But I don't think they care meaning the government-run or regular Insurance company. They want a way to make money. If they can eliminate the problem they don't make the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back