Playing School

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleAndrea

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I don't know if anyone else does this but when I am feeling more toddlerish I once in a while play school. There are a lot of online free resources for pre-k with ideas for lesson plans, worksheets and crafts. In fact today I was working on a flower theme with the flower life cycle and making flowers from coffee filters.
Does anyone else do this?

No, but it does sound like fun. I could practice science and rocketry with Kerbal Space Program though.

PaddedDeist said:
No, but it does sound like fun. I could practice science and rocketry with Kerbal Space Program though.

That sounds too compilacted for a toddler :D

Depends on the toddler. I was reading at age three.

I used to have a whole ton of workbook sheets to print out. I don't know if I still have them tucked away on my external hard drive or not.

BabyJacob98 said:
That sounds too compilacted for a toddler :D

The orbital dynamics of this game is actually not all that complicated. And when (no if) you fail, you get to watch a really big explosion. KSP has got to be my all time favorite game (with Minecraft second).

Sounds interesting... part of my fantasy involves having to wear diapers to school... this might have potential.

Slomo said:
The orbital dynamics of this game is actually not all that complicated. And when (no if) you fail, you get to watch a really big explosion. KSP has got to be my all time favorite game (with Minecraft second).

I remember a Scott Manley video (I think it was one of his) where he commented about how these young kids were now expertly performing maneuvers that were troublesome for our early astronauts. lol

I think the Kerbals are really cute and you can have a lot of fun building all sorts of vehicles.

I also get a kick out of Minecraft. I have the Java Edition as well as the Bedrock Edition on PC and Android.

LittleAndrea said:
I don't know if anyone else does this but when I am feeling more toddlerish I once in a while play school. There are a lot of online free resources for pre-k with ideas for lesson plans, worksheets and crafts. In fact today I was working on a flower theme with the flower life cycle and making flowers from coffee filters.
Does anyone else do this?

I loveeee worksheets, especially math worksheets which is kind of strange because I cheated horribly in school, hahhaha!!!

8798798.jpg

80980.jpg

There is a workbook series her called Brainquest that I have both the pre-k and kindergarten versions of. I tend to do it with my right hand (I'm left handed) so that the writing and the coloring looks more like it is done by a toddler. They are about $10 but there are like 320 pages. I actually just now ordered one I've never seen before which is the Summer Crain quest for between Pre-K and Kindergarten. Can't wait for it to get here.
123.jpg 123.jpg 123.jpg

LittleAndrea said:
There is a workbook series her called Brainquest that I have both the pre-k and kindergarten versions of. I tend to do it with my right hand (I'm left handed) so that the writing and the coloring looks more like it is done by a toddler. They are about $10 but there are like 320 pages. I actually just now ordered one I've never seen before which is the Summer Crain quest for between Pre-K and Kindergarten. Can't wait for it to get here.
View attachment 30879 View attachment 30880 View attachment 30881

Hey, that is an awesome idea, to write with the other hand!!! Thank you for this input, I never thought about that, I will try it, omg, hahha, I'm going to have sooo much fun!!
Huuuugggssssss!!!!

I actually found this neat thing...it's a dry erase board from Crayola and it works AWESOME. I take the activity pages from workbooks, slide them in, do them, erase it, and do them again. When you get tired of those, you can put coloring book pages inside and color, then erase and color it again different.

They even have dry erase crayons.

http://shop.crayola.com/color-and-draw/dry-erase/dry-erase-activity-center-9885740001.html

That's the board I'm talking about. (Although I got totally lucky and found one brand-new and unopened for $3.50 at the Goodwill.)

magnolia said:
Hey, that is an awesome idea, to write with the other hand!!! Thank you for this input, I never thought about that, I will try it, omg, hahha, I'm going to have sooo much fun!!
Huuuugggssssss!!!!

Always happy to share what I do, especially if it can help make anyones little time feel even more little! It really does make it look like a toddler wrote and colored. Like no matter how hard I try sometimes my coloring will go a little out of the lines. Nothing crazy I don't do it on purpose but that is close to me as a kid anyway. When I was little I would get really mad if it went out of the lines.

And writing with the other hand will work even better (look more infantile) for righties. Because we live in a right-handed society, most lefties have some experience with using the right hand for detail work. Many tools really only work with the right hand. I am left handed and use the right hand for my mouse. When I broke my left wrist, I was able to fill out the pages of forms at the Dr's using my right hand. It wasn't pretty (basically looked like a 2nd grader wrote it), but it worked.

howiebabe said:
And writing with the other hand will work even better (look more infantile) for righties. Because we live in a right-handed society, most lefties have some experience with using the right hand for detail work. Many tools really only work with the right hand. I am left handed and use the right hand for my mouse. When I broke my left wrist, I was able to fill out the pages of forms at the Dr's using my right hand. It wasn't pretty (basically looked like a 2nd grader wrote it), but it worked.

I can tell you that I do nearly NOTHING with my right hand. The computer I use at work I moved the mouse to be on the left which drives our tech department nuts. If they ever need to fix anything I have made it awfully awkward for them lol. Seriously I think the gear shift on my car is the main thing I use my right hand for and that is only to put the car in drive, reverse or park. Even the radio function is now on the left of the steering wheel!

LittleAndrea said:
I can tell you that I do nearly NOTHING with my right hand. The computer I use at work I moved the mouse to be on the left which drives our tech department nuts. If they ever need to fix anything I have made it awfully awkward for them lol. Seriously I think the gear shift on my car is the main thing I use my right hand for and that is only to put the car in drive, reverse or park. Even the radio function is now on the left of the steering wheel!

Is a conspiracy. Andrea is clearly a LEFTIST. :laugh:

I was always jealous of left handed people because they sometimes call them "South paw", and I wanted paws, too. XD

And for some reason when I was in first grade the only scissors anyone seemed to have for me were left-handed scissors. I'm right handed. So it was either try and cut with my left hand and make it look like I chewed the pieces out or jam my thumb into the opening the wrong way and make my hand hurt. (My hands hurt A LOT. I think the teacher was being a jerk sometimes.)

A REALLY good way getting used to writing with the opposite hand is to start off with drawing/writing with both hands at the same time. Mirror your writing with your dominant hand while at the same time writing normal with your other hand. Once you get both hands looking about the same, try switching solely over to your opposite hand only.

For a while I had a full bath in my home office. I used to take bubble baths and doodle on the wall with bath crayons.

Slomo said:
A REALLY good way getting used to writing with the opposite hand is to start off with drawing/writing with both hands at the same time. Mirror your writing with your dominant hand while at the same time writing normal with your other hand. Once you get both hands looking about the same, try switching solely over to your opposite hand only.

Hmm..sounds fun, I gotta try this!!!

In my old Amiga days I would either use a small program to swap the mouse button for lefty use. I also had a mouse that had a switch to do the same thing via the hardware.

Now I use a right-handed mouse and use my left hand for the keyboard.

Writing can be difficult and can hurt after awhile. You can see the wobble from my unsteady hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back