Not open for further replies.

asiandiaperboi

Little
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Are eggs from the store that we eat hatchable? I know its a stupid question but I’m really curious :biggrin:

Nope. You need a rooster to mate with a hen before the egg is laid. Unless it's not a serious farm, you can be pretty sure a rooster isn't going to be let anywhere near hens that are dedicated for egg laying.

Trevor is right, but also if they are kept cold for to long it will "kill" the viability of the egg.

Maybe? Or is it a hoax?

[video=youtube;lGhr42yfoWg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhr42yfoWg[/video]

Scaramouche said:
Maybe? Or is it a hoax?

I do not see anything :damnpc:

Scaramouche said:
Maybe? Or is it a hoax?
Or they acquired a fertilized egg from a farm

vietnamesebabyboi said:
Are eggs from the store that we eat hatchable? I know its a stupid question but I’m really curious :biggrin:

Yes, they are but the success rate is a bit low so you'll need a few dozen. Find a nice sunny spot in the yard (very little to no shade), dig them down a few inches and loosely cover with 6-8 inches of dirt and grass clippings. Keep them watered daily and you might be lucky enough to get one to hatch in 3-5 weeks. The sunny damp soil replicates their natural nesting environment. Depending on the average temperature maintained will determine the sex of the chick.

Llayden said:
Yes, they are but the success rate is a bit low so you'll need a few dozen. Find a nice sunny spot in the yard (very little to no shade), dig them down a few inches and loosely cover with 6-8 inches of dirt and grass clippings. Keep them watered daily and you might be lucky enough to get one to hatch in 3-5 weeks. The sunny damp soil replicates their natural nesting environment. Depending on the average temperature maintained will determine the sex of the chick.
:laugh:

Llayden said:

I tried that and that was the -weirdest- looking chicken I've ever seen. O_O

But to answer the question, at least in the US, no, they won't be hatchable. They're gathered from exceedingly large farms where there is no value in keeping a non-producing chicken. (Read that as "They kill off all the males because they don't lay eggs". As soon as they're sexed from the hatchery.)

Now, if you get them from someone who just has a sort of 'hobby farm', you might be able to. XD I know ours would if anyone cared to incubate them because we have a rooster. Although he is a bit dense and just crows any time of the day or night.

Scaramouche said:
Maybe? Or is it a hoax?

This is a hoax. the yoke isn't where the chick comes from, if you crack an egg open attached to the yoke your see a like a white line, thats the chick, the yoke is just the food the chick need to grow.
I have heard you can hatch eggs from the supermarkets though i'm not so sure as i was under the impression they are treated for salmonella and such like and that make them sterile, but i'm not 100% on that,

Scaramouche said:
Maybe? Or is it a hoax?

Whether or not this is a hoax (and it probably is), it really bothers me that the video is titled "Chinese students..." and then the whole video is in Japanese xD

Schwanensee said:
... it really bothers me that the video is titled "Chinese students..." and then the whole video is in Japanese xD

Good eye! Or ear.

Yup, definitely a hoax. Any well educated person would be able to see that.

Even I have to admit though, it IS a pretty good hoax.

Oh hell. I did the same thing with a fossilized triceratops egg. The bigger problem now is, what do I do with a full grown triceratops. The neighbors are beginning to complain.

I don't really know to be honest. There is a youtuber i watch called 'a chick called albert' that got its namesake from a quail he hatched from a eggs he got at a supermarket. He lives in the netherlands though, and these weren't refridgerated, so i'd imagine this situation is different across countries, and depending of if they're kept cold or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, on the video going around. i don't know if that video specifically is fake or not, but in certain turtle eggs, a turtle can actually develop outside of the shell if broken under perfect conditions. i'd imagine that since eggs are basically the same across all living things that other fertilised eggs would be similar.

dogboy said:
Oh hell. I did the same thing with a fossilized triceratops egg. The bigger problem now is, what do I do with a full grown triceratops. The neighbors are beginning to complain.

There's a sanctuary for dinosaurs called Jurassic Park and they accept donations. I'm planning on going there for my next vacation.

Scaramouche said:
There's a sanctuary for dinosaurs called Jurassic Park and they accept donations. I'm planning on going there for my next vacation.

Ooooo! Can I come? Can I come? I mean, what could go wrong and dinosaurs. Cool!

dogboy said:
Ooooo! Can I come? Can I come? I mean, what could go wrong and dinosaurs. Cool!

Sure! But I get to drive the SUV. I hear they have a kinder, gentler dino named Velociraptor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back