Little books you love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Way off in the future, a house shall be mine, and the bookshelves will be lined, with Madeline.

1 book, 2 books, red books, blue books!

I really like them. Cute I am. I really like Green Eggs And Ham! (Wish it was turkey ham, for Kosher sake, but hey!) In fact, Seuss for president, either him, or a very curious little monkey. I should do an experiment, to see what happens if you give a mouse a cookie. Hope it doesn't cause a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

I love, love, love Eloise! I shall own The Complete Tales And Poems Of Winnie The Pooh!

I swear, I'd sooner start a Little book collection, than a movie collection.

Does anyone else have books, or series' of books, that rocket them into Little space? What are they? Why do they rocket you there? For me, I like originals, children's stories that were around before me, except for the original first Curious George story. It's mean to George! The other original 8 are fine.

I think certain stories work so well, because of the rhythm, and rhyme, and predictability. In the middle of the night, who turned on her light? What did she say? We all know; don't we, Madeline fans?

Last edited:
Nice topic, as a big baby I certainly do enjoy a good bedtime story.

When I was just discovering my baby side growing up I was obsessed with J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, there was something romantic (as in an idealized view of reality, think Romanticism) and whimsical about the concept of being able to be a kid forever and going on far off adventures. I also liked a few Goosebumps books, in particular The Cuckoo Clock of Doom and Lost in Stink-Eye Swamp as they both have age regression elements in them and any time age regression popped up in a book or TV Show when I was a kid it had me hooked and fascinated.

When I regress now, I love reading just routine baby books, alphabet books, books with tiny animals, soft books... books that don't have much in terms of a narrative, but are simple and cute enough that they really make me feel little.

One book that my Mommy friend read to me when I stayed over at her place in baby mode was Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. You want an emotional, regressive experience? Read that book. It's all about the parent and child relationship and the unconditional love that it comes with, it's a very touching book and having it read to me by my Mommy friend really made me feel incredibly little and all warm and cuddly inside :eek:

Last edited:
My mommy reads me "Lord of the rings" to put me to sleep, mind, in little space im less listening to the words and more to her voice.
On my own, I sometimes read 'love you forever', 'the very hungry caterpillar' and 'the little engine that could'!!!
I used to own a book with lots of textures. I wish I had that for stimming tho!

I just bought a book about dinosaurs through Amazon. As a kid, I loved dinosaurs. This book has over 500 illustrated pages and it may be geared toward adults, but it still looks cool.

*looks at her two completely stuffed bookshelves*

Uh.

*looks into the other room at her OTHER two filled bookshelves*

Um.

*looks at the BOOKS IN BOXES IN THE CLOSET BECAUSE THERE ARE NO SHELVES FOR THEM*

I think I have a problem. D:

(You have no idea. I have I don't even -know- how many picture books/story books.)

Also, I have a terrible soft spot for books that come with a record/tape/CD of the story being read. I used to listen to them all the time and it takes me right back. :3

Mine were the "Berenstein" (Spelled with no a) bear series.

And yes I know I spelled it correctly as growing up my dad always drank beer out of beer steins while reading me the series.

I have two major little book collections. I collect little golden books I have at least 100 ranging from the 50s to the early 90s and I collect Berenstain Bears Books. I have about 60 of those ranging from the 80s to now but I only have a couple that are new. The new ones I usually get from people as gifts, the last one was in my Easter basket. I have tons of other books I have the 1970s Sesame Street Encyclopedia set that my grandma that passed away when I was 4 gave me. I have 2 versions of Disneys 1 year of bedtime stories one from the 1980s the other from 2004. I have paddinton books fraggle rock book set, muppet babies book set, sweet pickles books and so many more that it would take me hours to name all of them. :)

Poofybutt said:
One book that my Mommy friend read to me when I stayed over at her place in baby mode was Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. You want an emotional, regressive experience? Read that book. It's all about the parent and child relationship and the unconditional love that it comes with, it's a very touching book and having it read to me by my Mommy friend really made me feel incredibly little and all warm and cuddly inside :eek:
How did you not cry?! I love it, too, but, his mom got sick.

I love the boxcar children seris, Henry and mudge those are books i loved reading when i was in elementry school, still love reading them

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
How did you not cry?! I love it, too, but, his mom got sick.

Oh, the ending can definitely be a bit of a tearjerker, but I was very content and felt so loved being read to in baby mode, that it was an all around beautiful experience, not a sad one, but a very warm, nurturing and emotional one. All at once, I felt happy, wistful and safe :)

While the ending can certainly be construed as a sad ending, I've always taken it as a beautiful and uplifting one. The sentiment that the ending conveys is that the unconditional love of a parent for a child never truly ends, it continues on in our hearts and for the next generation.

You won't know any of my childhood books since they were in German, but we had this book series where the stories had accompanying songs. The actual books have the sheet music for the songs printed in them plus there is a CD, so it's basically a series of musicals for kids! And not in a stupid, repetitive way (sorry, but I'm quite shocked at what parents give their kids as musical entertainment nowadays), but with really interesting songs that I enjoy to this day. There's a lot of variation, the characters are unique...those are definitely books I would buy for any future children I may or may not have.

Pippi Longstocking was also a fan favourite (I checked, that is the English title, so it has been translated!) for my family, and I still like the books a lot, as well as a lot of other books by that author.

Then I have a book about a security blanket, it's really interesting, the story actually consists of two stories that start on opposite ends of the book (you have to turn it upside down to read one of them) and the stories meet in the middle! It's just a really fun short night-time story :)

WINNIE THE POOH, nuf said.

Well I read English translations of Michael Ende's 'The Neverending Story' and Hans Bemmann's 'The Stone and the Flute'. Those are pretty good stories.

PaddedDeist said:
Well I read English translations of Michael Ende's 'The Neverending Story' and Hans Bemmann's 'The Stone and the Flute'. Those are pretty good stories.

I loved "The Neverending Story" (or Die unendliche Geschichte :))! He also has lots of other stories that I grew up with, like Momo or Jim Button.

I don't have any little books per se, but I still have most of my favourite books from when I was about 10. This included some of Brian Jacques' Redwall books, and some Michael Morpurgo books, like War Horse, Why The Wales Came and The Ghost of Grania O'Malley.

Schwanensee, I know a few German books, as I used to read a lot of Cornelia Funke, - I used to really like Herr der Diebe (The Thief Lord) and the Tintenherz (Inkheart) series. I read them in English but I've also read the first Tintenherz in German as well - it was very interesting to read the same book in two languages.

However, hands down, my favourite books have to be the four Dinotopia Books by James Gurney. I'm not even a little and they send me to a very relaxed place. I feel these books can be read by people of any age and the paintings n each page are wonderful to look at. They are so inviting that you end up getting pulled into the story.
I've also read the other Dinotopia books (which were for the most part, very good), but Gurney's original four just blow me away.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

As I remember my grandma who raised me read a lots of books to me. Collections of classic folk tales, Grimm, Andersen, The Wizard of Oz, Disney Books with loads of illustrations... But my fav was an encyclopedia for kids. I loved it! My current fav children book is the Chronicles of Narnia. And it has an audiobook version read by Chrissi Heart. :3

One of the reasons I could read by age three was that my mom read to my older brother while she was carrying me and she kept reading to us after I was born. Plus I watched Sesame Street and The Electric Company--to name a couple of educational shows. On top of all that, my mom also had a good collection of the classic Dick and Jane books. Those were great for helping me to learn how to read--the greatest escape I had from a horrible childhood. Let us not forget all of the Little Golden Books or Dr. Seuss. I had everything I needed to become a reader.

airplane2x.jpg

I love Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and In a Dark, Dark Room! Anything spooky is immediately my fav.

Fancy Nancy! Cutest book series I've discovered yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back