Thread: Can't concentrate!

Default Can't concentrate!

I have a three thousand word report due tommorow which I only just decided to glance at today. I had to read the instructions several times before I understood them, and even now they don't make much sense! My teacher's a friggen idiot because his written instructions never match up with what he's taught us in class. That's frustrating.

So I tried to get started on the actual report, but I can't seem to do it. No matter how much I try, it just isn't working. I can't focus on what I'm reading and what I'm writing. I shut myself up in my room, but that was too destracting so I went into the living room. That didn't help so I went outside for a walk. When I came back I still couldn't start. So I took some of these natural mental calmness pills I have, and they didn't do anything either.

So now I'm seriously considering just giving up. The teacher of the class doesn't care much whether we hand in our work or not, but if we don't hand it in we don't get the mark. I thought about doing it tommorow night, but what's going to make tommorow night any different than tonight? I want to at least get started on the research tonight so I won't have such a heavy load tomorrow, but for some reason I can;t seem to concentrate on that!

People, please, anyone one of you, I need some suggestions to get me started on this stupid thing.

soren456

One word at a time works for me.

Seriously, I've always found that if I know what I'm talking about, i.e. have done my research, I can write the report.

Seems like your doing all the right things; Can you give us the topic so we can try to help you out with understanding?

Just get on with it mate. You're procrastinating and subconsciously looking for ways to avoid doing your work. Especially by being online. You should have started it before today as well.

Takashi, it's basicaly a report on short stories. I think I get what he's asking now, but it still is a bit confusing. When he taught us how to write a report, he gave us a set of steps and instruction to follow specificaly. But for this report he's only asking for summaries of articles and analysis of some short stories. It doesn't make any sense at all!

Fuctifano (I just got your user name), you've hit the nail on the head. I'm procrastinating, and the internet is a huge distraction. I can't disconnect from the internet though because I need it for research. And I also know I should have started it before today. I'm an idiot. He gave us this thing last wekk, and my plan was to work on it over the weeken, but some things came up and I never got around to it. Fuck, I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    Takashi, it's basicaly a report on short stories. I think I get what he's asking now, but it still is a bit confusing. When he taught us how to write a report, he gave us a set of steps and instruction to follow specificaly. But for this report he's only asking for summaries of articles and analysis of some short stories. It doesn't make any sense at all!

Fuctifano (I just got your user name)
    , you've hit the nail on the head. I'm procrastinating, and the internet is a huge distraction. I can't disconnect from the internet though because I need it for research. And I also know I should have started it before today. I'm an idiot. He gave us this thing last wekk, and my plan was to work on it over the weeken, but some things came up and I never got around to it. Fuck, I'm an idiot.

You should have started it today, but the thing is, you didn't. So what I reckon you should do is at least start it just now. The more you do, the easier the task will become. Don't stress out too much. Do as much as you can dude.

Chillhouse-

I hope you're not still on ADISC right now. This happens to me all the time when I have to write papers. I take a lot of walks, etc., and that just helps me...walk more. What seems to work best is when I say all kinds of nice things about myself in my head, and try to get excited about the topic on which I'm to write.

A good first step is to pack your head full of all the ammo you're going to need to kill this paper. Short stories? Read 'em. Lose some sleep over it just this once--that's what we sign up for. Then get some ideas down, organize them into a numbered list / framework, and start writing your paper along those lines. Is the instructor requiring a printed or digital copy? If it's to be turned in physically, don't worry about the word count (within a few hundred words, here and there). After taking many many classes with assignments like this, I can tell you that quality matters far more than quantity. And quality, in my experience, is a clearly stated idea given sufficient support (or rather, some indication of critical thought / consideration of competing explanations, inherent assumptions, etc.).

Although I have yet to teach such a class...soon enough, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by fuctifano View Post

You should have started it today, but the thing is, you didn't. So what I reckon you should do is at least start it just now. The more you do, the easier the task will become. Don't stress out too much. Do as much as you can dude.
    Yeah, stress will kill good productivity.

Actually, I'll rephrase that: I've said in another thread that I've begun to doubt the actual existence of the feeling of 'stress' as a separate experience from 'anxiety'. That's still officially up for debate, I guess, but in my mind it's a done deal.

Anxiety, not stress, is the great satan of productivity and creativity. Anxiety will not complete quality homework, will never earn you any money, and will not make you more attractive to your desired gender. A serene mind + a late assignment is better than a panicked mind + a late assignment or even a crappily done 'complete' assignment.
    Last edited by Peachy; 05-May-2009 at 21:06. Reason: merging double post - put all your thoughts into ONE post!

I'm writing a novel, and before I sit to write I'm often thinking, what will happen to my characters today. What can I possibly have to say that matters, will have meaning, will move the story in the direction it needs to go. But then when I start to write, it's like there's someone in my head writing it. What helps me is that I know I'm writing the first draft. Just think of it as your first draft and start writing anything. Since it's on computer and word processor, you can easily go back, correct, elaborate, etc. It would be better to have something to turn in, then find out what numbnuts really wanted, and go back and change it. At least it shows you've done X amount of work. No good work is ever done on the first draft ( well, hardly none). I sounds like you're on the right track anyway. Just write something down.