New Crinklz Patterns In-Stock! 15% Intro Sale on New Patterns thru 5/9/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam, can you consult with your manufacturer and find out why we can't make a diaper with a pad that extends all the way out to edges of the plastic? Is that simply impossible to do?

It is technically possible to go wider, especially on the wider sizes but now that the super absorbent polymers are so much better than years ago, most of the factories changed their machines to not use a "full matt" absorbent core. Crinklz and BetterDry and even NorthShore Supreme and Dry 24/7 do have quite large absorbent cores compared to most briefs.

Adam,
I think he was referring to the length of the core, not necessarily the width. I'm only assuming this because I've seen it mentioned in other places. There's just a lot of extra plastic that, while needed for proper fit, doesn't have any padding. That's not a whole lot of an issue for me, although padding in the Supremes *could* come up a little higher in the front, going closer to the front and back edges.

I am a big fan of the Crinklz, and when I saw the new designs, I ordered a case of the astronaut ones!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've gotten a number of defective diapers over the years, mostly from bambinod and xplus, where a bit of padding spilled over to the border of the outer shell, and they leak every time. Diapers need that "safety zone" of no padding at the outer 3/4 to 1" at least to prevent "conduction leaks". That strip of unpadded plastic also holds against your skin and holds in the pee during the surge and gives the padding time to absorb and wick/move it to dry padding elsewhere in the diaper. Trust me, you don't want padding all the way to the edge!

That being said, I definitely prefer padding higher in the front and back. I do not like diapers where there's 2" or more of "dead plastic". Ideally for me, the padding should stop 1-1.5" from the top and back edge, right where the waist elastic starts. Some diapers like xplus have 4" or more of unpadded plastic in the front and/or back, and I often take a scissors to remove that from the front where it bothers me more. (when there's no waist elastic anyway!) It's not so easy to trim the back even on the xplus - there's no waist elastic in back either but you have to maneuver around the tapes)

That's one thing I wish betterdry would improve on, moving the padding farther up the front and back. Confidry 24/7 have that issue also. (both of these diapers have both front and rear elastic, so I can't really trim them and just have to accept it)

If you're referring to padding farther out in the front and back wings, I can kind of see that. Front wider is better for the guys that side-sleep. Back is better to increase capacity when laying on your back. But I think most diapers already have enough, and that more would just needlessly increase cost with padding I'd never take advantage of.

And Adam, that's great news, can't wait to try them! (though it certainly is interesting to see everyone jumping on board with the "space" theme diapers??? first tykables and now betterdry? ABU is s trend-setter?)

Yooo said:
Adam,
I think he was referring to the length of the core, not necessarily the width. I'm only assuming this because I've seen it mentioned in other places. There's just a lot of extra plastic that, while needed for proper fit, doesn't have any padding. That's not a whole lot of an issue for me, although padding in the Supremes *could* come up a little higher in the front, going closer to the front and back edges.

I am a big fan of the Crinklz, and when I saw the new designs, I ordered a case of the astronaut ones!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok, length...sorry about that. With a core with a lot of fluff you likely need minimum 1 inch to get a solid seal at the top that won't burst when saturated. With newer, thinner style diapers that use mostly SAP infused laminates instead of lots of fluff, you could reduce that quote a bit...but most of those companies reduce the overall size of the core by about 50% so they will never extend that long for cost reasons.

I LOVE those patterns! I’m a huge Crinklz fan and feel like crying because shipping those to Finland would be quite impossible/expensive. Plus I live in a nursing home, so I have to use BetterDrys in order to not appear too weird. :frown:

Lumi said:
I LOVE those patterns! I’m a huge Crinklz fan and feel like crying because shipping those to Finland would be quite impossible/expensive. Plus I live in a nursing home, so I have to use BetterDrys in order to not appear too weird. :frown:

You should contact the manufacturer at www.crinklz.com and find out where in Europe they will be appearing this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Larger images of Aquanaut and Astronaut now available at:
https://www.northshorecare.com/images/crinklz-se-larger.jpg

Products available for sale at http://www.northshorecare.com/diapers/overnites1/crinklz-briefs.html

bambinod said:
Thanks for the pics - they show the microdot print on the astronaut but not on the aquanaut, do they both have the wetness-indicating blue microprint?

Yes, the light blue printing that acts as wetness indicator is on all Crinklz diapers.

*wiggles*

I just -might- have to order some of these. XD

NorthShoreAdam said:
Ok, length...sorry about that. With a core with a lot of fluff you likely need minimum 1 inch to get a solid seal at the top that won't burst when saturated. With newer, thinner style diapers that use mostly SAP infused laminates instead of lots of fluff, you could reduce that quote a bit...but most of those companies reduce the overall size of the core by about 50% so they will never extend that long for cost reasons.

I place the tapes directly over the padding, not on the dead plastic space where the edges of the tape will either dig into my skin, or the tapes will tear at the delicate upper plastic due to the lack of a strengthening cushion. So on most brands, I have to accept that dead 2" of plastic space. Another problem with the North Shore Supremes and Better Dry products: They can leak through the top for someone who sleeps on their stomach, because of their low cut. The North Shore Supremes are especially prone to this problem. And because of this, I won't buy them. I don't take chances, especially when I am at somebody else's house. I must protect them from fluids that may leak, using which ever means possible. And if this means buying an expensive ABDL brand like ABUniverse's Little Paws product, I will do just that. My relationships are too precious to be jeopardized over a product that may not be fully reliable.

So in a nut shell: I really do feel that the padding needs to be longer, and the diapers need a longer fit.

Honeywell6180 said:
I place the tapes directly over the padding, not on the dead plastic space where the edges of the tape will either dig into my skin, or the tapes will tear at the delicate upper plastic due to the lack of a strengthening cushion. So on most brands, I have to accept that dead 2" of plastic space. Another problem with the North Shore Supremes and Better Dry products: They can leak through the top for someone who sleeps on their stomach, because of their low cut. The North Shore Supremes are especially prone to this problem. And because of this, I won't buy them. I don't take chances, especially when I am at somebody else's house. I must protect them from fluids that may leak, using which ever means possible. And if this means buying an expensive ABDL brand like ABUniverse's Little Paws product, I will do just that. My relationships are too precious to be jeopardized over a product that may not be fully reliable.

So in a nut shell: I really do feel that the padding needs to be longer, and the diapers need a longer fit.

Low cut? Both Northsore, and especially Betterdry, have a really good rise in the front. If they are too low of a cut for you then you are clearly wearing one size too small. Go with a more appropriate, bigger size and make sure they rise all the way up to your waist line (near your belly button). Not your hips/belt line, that's way too low and will be prone to leaks over the top (as you've found).

ps. Northshore holds much more than littepaws. And Betterdry holds even more than both of them.

I meant width. It doesn't necessarily need to be padding. The idea is to replicate kids diapers from the 80's. Maybe it could probably be done with a thicker non-woven top sheet. From what you are saying, it is possible to do this. Someone should do it. I think the only reason they don't do it is because it would make fitting into your normal clothes more difficult as it would increase your waistline. I imagined this as strictly a night time diaper.

Slomo said:
Low cut? Both Northsore, and especially Betterdry, have a really good rise in the front. If they are too low of a cut for you then you are clearly wearing one size too small. Go with a more appropriate, bigger size and make sure they rise all the way up to your waist line (near your belly button). Not your hips/belt line, that's way too low and will be prone to leaks over the top (as you've found).

ps. Northshore holds much more than littepaws. And Betterdry holds even more than both of them.

I've tried the large Surpemes, they are too big and fit excessively loose.

Print looks really cool. I"ll have to look into getting some. My only real question for the adult diaper market is. Will we ever see stretchy side velcro tabs like baby diapers have. and cloth backs that have a sealed plastic layer under the cloth like baby diapers have. And not the non stretch, and cloth that allows seep thru, or plastic only options?

In example. I can stretch on a pampers/huggies diaper. Now of course it doesn't fit the way it should for a baby. but the fact I can do that at all, and use them, without it leaking. yet if I get an adult diaper it's either to big or to small, and is unable to fit to the body anywhere near as well. Baby diapers feel like near every part is some kind of elastic, and are very soft. Yet adult diapers feel like a plastic bag with a very high absorbing pad attached to them, with duct tape tabs. It's like quality in baby diapers means it's functional and comfy, whereas quality in adult diapers is just full functionality even at the point of making them uncomfortable.

I mean it's functional don't get me wrong. It's just odd to me that there is such a large difference between the adult sizes, and the child ones in the over all perceived quality.

Honeywell6180 said:
I place the tapes directly over the padding, not on the dead plastic space where the edges of the tape will either dig into my skin, or the tapes will tear at the delicate upper plastic due to the lack of a strengthening cushion. So on most brands, I have to accept that dead 2" of plastic space.

I agree with that problem, I always prefer to tape on the tape panel, at least 1/4" below the top line. Makes the tape easier (possibe?) to move, doesn't risk tearing the shell, and for me most importantly it provides some stiffer backing to prevent the tape from poking my tummy ;)

But sometimes it's unavoidable. Fortunately for me anyway, the crinklz are plenty long that this isn't an issue, and so those diapers always fit me with a nice high coverage in front and back that i like. On the other hand, it's a problem wit shorter diapers like the peekabu. I finally found an acceptably good fit last night, (still have that diaper on this morning actually!) and that unfortunately required attaching the upper tapes 80% off the tape panel because of how short those large's are. (crinklz are almost four inches longer than peekabu, so I'm really comparing one of the longest larges with one of the shortest here)

MyDiaper and BareBum are the only other similarly short diapers, with the longest being confidry 247, xplus, and xpmedical's old A+. That's a range of 34.5 to 40 inches, which is a huge difference in size for diapers that are all rated "large". I wish they'd get some consistency, but that'll never happen. We can't seem to get consistency among diapers made by the same company let alone across all major brands.

The Bambino Bellissimos, and Confidry 24/7's have a longer fit than the other brands I've tried. Both of them have optimum capacity, as long as they are managed properly. They are at a good price point as well. Both have a very traditional look, which I find appealing. The taping panel on the Bellissimos is very similar to what Pampers used on their Ultra Pampers Plus around 1988. I am fine with that, too. And, there have been no changes to either brand in the last two years, which appeals to regular users of these products. They just work.

Someone had mentioned that Better Dry is superior to the ABUniverse Little Paws. However, I don't believe that to be the case. The Better Dry product is a good price leader. However, Little Paws are far more comfortable, and I like their thickness better. The length of Little Paws is comparable to the Bellissimos, with the Little Paws having a considerably taller standing leak barrier. So, Little Paws will work better, yet they are priced considerably higher than the Bellissimos.

Honeywell6180 said:
The Bambino Bellissimos, and Confidry 24/7's have a longer fit than the other brands I've tried. Both of them have optimum capacity, as long as they are managed properly. They are at a good price point as well. Both have a very traditional look, which I find appealing. The taping panel on the Bellissimos is very similar to what Pampers used on their Ultra Pampers Plus around 1988. I am fine with that, too. And, there have been no changes to either brand in the last two years, which appeals to regular users of these products. They just work.

Someone had mentioned that Better Dry is superior to the ABUniverse Little Paws. However, I don't believe that to be the case. The Better Dry product is a good price leader. However, Little Paws are far more comfortable, and I like their thickness better. The length of Little Paws is comparable to the Bellissimos, with the Little Paws having a considerably taller standing leak barrier. So, Little Paws will work better, yet they are priced considerably higher than the Bellissimos.

I have compared betterdry to abu, and am currently testing out peekabu. I guarantee you that betterdry has much thicker padding, and swells up significantly more than any abu diaper does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back