Still putting them on wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinPeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I extremely apologise for my bothersome questions but who else can I ask, I am so sorry.

I am extremely big built and tall, whenever I see pictures of other diaper lovers the way they have their diaper fitted seems that I am putting them on wrong? Ok I have a belly but I am not obese, I just seem to have really large legs. Does a Diaper have to be taped with it all the way up to your belly button or just around the legs and your "belt line".

I just ask because a lot of diapers don't look like they fit me properly and I am wondering if the way they are taped can make a difference.

I don't know but I am so sorry ok.

First off, no need to apologize, there is no such thing as a stupid or bothersome question and if you need help with anything diaper related your padded pals at ADISC got your back.

My first thought would probably be that you are maybe facing a sizing problem. If you don't mind me asking, what is your waist size?

I have slightly awkward proportions, I am broad through the shoulders, narrow through the chest and my waist is very broad as well, I also have large thighs. My waist size is 38 clean, but most Medium diapers don't fit me well even though I am within their size range and the ones that do fit cut into my thighs and stop right at the belt line. Large diapers fit me much better, they are snug around my legs without cutting into them and the front waistband of the diaper usually rests just underneath my belly button. If you have a bit of a gut or a muffin top, you may want to scale up to the next size so that the diaper sits on you properly, just underneath the belly button.

Of course, I could be off base, if you know your waist size and you are purchasing brands that should be fitting it, perhaps you are putting them on wrong. I always use a mirror when I put on my diaper and I always make sure my butt is firmly affixed to the rear pad and I always do a few passes to make sure that the length of the diaper is contouring where it should. After I tape up, I'll adjust the tapes for the best/snuggest fit. You could easily be putting the diapers on incorrectly with either the front riding too high or low or the back riding too high or low.

Of course, the brand matters too, not all diapers are made equally. I have had some that are very narrow in the groin area and I've had others that are wide in that area, some diapers are naturally cut high, some are naturally cut low.

Unfortunately, this is a problem that has many variables. I'd say for the first few years when I was living on my own, I had similar problems, diapers weren't fitting as they should. I made the decision to size up and since then I haven't had a problem getting my diapers to fit correctly, so maybe you might have to do the same.

Hopefully, some of what I've mentioned here can help. Of course, I'm sure others will chime in with useful advice as well.

I'm with PoofyButt here. At 38", I too have a problem with Medium size. I'd try the next size up and see if there's any difference. If not, I'd try a different brand until you find something that works and you like.

If you have big thighs you're going to have to go up a size so the lower tapes can get into position.

Thank You so much for your very kind words and help, I honestly don't know what size waist I am, I just buy my clothes in stores by "medium, large," etc. I think I should maybe lose my belly but it's not huge and to be honest I can't see my legs ever getting smaller, they are just very muscly if that makes sense but thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I please ask if the lower tapes are supposed to be taped at your beltline, basically the thinnest part where normal underwear goes round? Then the top tapes round your actual waistline? What I usually do is tape the bottom tapes round my actual thighs and the top tapes round my beltline nowhere near my actual waistline because of my belly lol, so the diapers end up just like normal underwear for men (boxer shorts style).

The thing I just can't work out is every single diaper wearer I have seen, it honestly looks like they have none of the diaper material on their legs at all, I just can't work it out, and I am not being nasty here at all but I have definitely seen people with a bigger belly than me and still they seem to have no diaper material round their legs?

So if I am putting the tapes on wrong I will be so happy to find out, thank you everyone.

I believe that some body types will never get the single tape diapers taped on right. I have issues with the single tape ABU diapers, but not with the Rearz version. That Rearz single tape diaper is the most comfortable, put me in the right headspace diaper I’ve ever worn!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fold the very top of the diaper down and inside to the level of the top of the padding. I then fasten the top tapes first so that the top of the diaper (at the level of the top of the padding) is approximately where the elastic waist band of a pair of underpants would be. Then with the top of the diaper in place, I position the bottom tapes around my legs at approximately the level where the legs of a pair of knitted briefs would go. I have a 38’’ waist, and this process works well with either ConfiDry 24/7 or BetterDry diapers.

MartinPeters said:
Thank You so much for your very kind words and help, I honestly don't know what size waist I am, I just buy my clothes in stores by "medium, large," etc. I think I should maybe lose my belly but it's not huge and to be honest I can't see my legs ever getting smaller, they are just very muscly if that makes sense but thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I please ask if the lower tapes are supposed to be taped at your beltline, basically the thinnest part where normal underwear goes round? Then the top tapes round your actual waistline? What I usually do is tape the bottom tapes round my actual thighs and the top tapes round my beltline nowhere near my actual waistline because of my belly lol, so the diapers end up just like normal underwear for men (boxer shorts style).

The thing I just can't work out is every single diaper wearer I have seen, it honestly looks like they have none of the diaper material on their legs at all, I just can't work it out, and I am not being nasty here at all but I have definitely seen people with a bigger belly than me and still they seem to have no diaper material round their legs?

So if I am putting the tapes on wrong I will be so happy to find out, thank you everyone.

First, it's a misconception to believe diapers are supoosed to fit like underwear. That's simply not true. Diapers are supposed to fit like diapers.

Though yes, there are a LOT of people out there who like to wear one size too small while following that wrong type of fitting where the top only extends to their hips/belt. This will cause a range of problems from leaking over the top, too tight of a fit around the legs, tapes popping, diaper blowouts, and so on. But, they still swear by it, and is why you see so many pictures of people wearing small diapers. It's kind of funny really.

Now a proper fit means the very top of the diaper should be extending well above your natural hip/belt line, about to your actual waist line. This point does vary depending on everyons body and gut, but is roughly about where your belly button is. The top tapes should also be above your hip/belt line too, which is what holds the diaper up and in place. Tape it on too low, and the diaper will sag really bad.

In addition to this, the lower tapes should also be low enough so you can get a snug fit completely all the way around your legs. This will prevent leaks from around the legs in general. Tape them on too high, and you will notice a visibly loose gap at the inside-front of your legs. Often, the back of the legs will be somewhat loose too. Both spots being where press out leaks occur when sitting on a wet diaper.

Properly fitted and taped on correctly, any diaper should not leak, sag, or give you any other real problems. Overall, if more than 1 in 10 diapers do then you've either got it tapped on wrong, the wrong size, or maybe just the wrong diaper for your body shape.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps. Do you have a ruler or even just a dollar bill lying around (bills are exactly 6" long)? Take just about any unplugged cord, string, etc. and snugly wrap it around your waist line. Lightly pinch the cord with your fingers where it meets the end of the plug/string. This will give you a total length of your waist measurement. With the cord still pinched, line up that point with one end of the ruler or bill. Pinch the cord at the other end of the ruler/bill (which will subtract 6 or 12 inches from your cord length). Repeat this till you get the remaining length. Now add up all sections to get the total number for your waist measurement.

That number is the size of diaper you should be wearing. Though if you come up with an in between sizes number, always go with the bigger size diaper.

When I put mine on, the top can reach my belly-button but it always slides to my beltline when my gut asserts it's dominance. I'm not sure a larger size would help me much.

Don’t worry to much. Practise make a master. Plus diferent blands and types fit diferently. Even same type in diferent size will fit diferently. Some diapers needto be taped with upper tape down and down tape point up. Others both tapes go in straith line and in some diapers both up and down tapes points down. Practise is a key for succes

i'm a bigger guy and even if I buy the bigger sizes, the diaper fits under my belly, I think the diaper pants fit better on me than the taped ones

squishypants said:
I believe that some body types will never get the single tape diapers taped on right. I have issues with the single tape ABU diapers, but not with the Rearz version. That Rearz single tape diaper is the most comfortable, put me in the right headspace diaper I’ve ever worn!!!!

I don't think any one specific single-tape diaper is better than another, but that it all comes down to how closely you match the design size of the diaper. The size range you can get a good fit with them is a lot more limited than a double tape diaper, so if that model is right at the size you need, it'll work well. If you're "between sizes" in a single-tape diaper, getting a good, leakproof fit is difficult to impossible. So you're going to have more success with some brands than with others.

I personally prefer Kiddo because (AFAIK) they're the only single-tape diaper available with rear and front elastic, and that's a feature I really like, for the improved comfort. And for me, the Large fit well. (I hope ABU changes up the shell art, I'd like to see what's on the bag be on the diaper, rather than "green owls")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back