Struggling with self esteem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Okay, so I am having struggle with my self-esteem. I've been a DL for quite some time. (Around 5 years.) And ever since I bought my first pack, I knew that it was something that I liked. Wearing diapers, for me, is distressing and helps me relax a bit more. But recently I've been beating myself up about it. I'm beginning to feel ashamed and guilty about wearing diapers. I've tried some online consulting while remaining anonymous, and I've been reading countless threads here on ADISC, and everyone has the same conclusion; That it is best to get self-acceptant about it, and stop trying to quit wearing diapers because this would put you into a binge-purge cycle.
-So I guess my question is; How do I accept the fact that I am a diaper lover, and that I can't quit wearing, because the urge just will come back even stronger?
Best regards.
-Chris.

RandomUsernameDL said:
Okay, so I am having struggle with my self-esteem. I've been a DL for quite some time. (Around 5 years.) And ever since I bought my first pack, I knew that it was something that I liked. Wearing diapers, for me, is distressing and helps me relax a bit more. But recently I've been beating myself up about it. I'm beginning to feel ashamed and guilty about wearing diapers. I've tried some online consulting while remaining anonymous, and I've been reading countless threads here on ADISC, and everyone has the same conclusion; That it is best to get self-acceptant about it, and stop trying to quit wearing diapers because this would put you into a binge-purge cycle.
-So I guess my question is; How do I accept the fact that I am a diaper lover, and that I can't quit wearing, because the urge just will come back even stronger?
Best regards.
-Chris.
Unless you've done something incredibly wrong, which it sounds like you've not, then you have nothing to be ashamed of. Forewarning, I'm not a psychologist or psychology major in college. I'm a computer support technician by trade and hobby, but some of it does involve knowing at least psychology 101 on some basic level. With that said, what you MIGHT be feeling.... and I deeply emphasize the word MIGHT, is that you feel as though you may be letting down your family and/or friends by indulging in a fetish that they neither know about nor would they understand (in your mind) if they found out.

How do I know this? I struggle with the same thing. I can count on one hand how many people know about my diaper wearing fetish, which lately has become almost a necessity for reasons I don't wish to share, and that does worry me more than makes me feel less self esteem. That small handful of people that know are two female friends, two female cousins (one of which is now deceased, God rest her soul), and ONE of my two parents. Of which one is now long deceased, but he was (I hope) never made aware of my DL fetish. Though he could have been suspicious of it since I did let him in on knowing that I enjoy the sight of women wearing diapers. So, it's very possible he knew. But he never led on to have me know that he knew.

So, the thing to remember is that unless you've done something illegal, or otherwise engaged in some highly criminal activity, you have no reason to feel ashamed. However, if you've had anything similar to my own childhood, you may have felt ashamed at being a bedwetter far longer than what your parents expected. If your parents were as emotionally and psychologically abusive and manipulative like mine were (and the surviving one still is to some degree), you may have been manipulated to believe you were the only known child in the world by your parents' estimation of being the only 7, 8, 10, or 12 yr old who wets the bed.

It's a form of verbal abuse that does happen far too often, and far too common does it happen to children who are told it is a disorder that they SHOULD have a measure of control over at their ages. This is not true in many cases, and is a treatable thing with therapy & some medications. But that's not the issue here.

Without knowing your own past, I can only speculate that if you've had a similar experience of being told you are or were well in control of your bedwetting, and have been physically, emotionally, mentally, socially, and/or a psychologically abused or assaulted for having wet the bed that was in fact out of your control, then it's possible that the shame you feel is unfounded, and mistaken for feeling like you're not normal in a world that demands conformity. A world painted vanilla over a much more brilliantly colored canvas of our real world.

Also, just a guess, but it can also be that if you're like some of us who are either single by either a chronic nature or have been divorced into singlehood, etc. Or like me, a complete and total virgin, you could be feeling anxiety towards a potential meeting of a date, or perhaps a future sexual partner, or even beyond that a potential future Mrs. "Chris".

Whenever I've been, in some form, falling for a woman that I had hoped was a potential date, perhaps more, I felt anxious that she could potentially find out about my fetish due to my family members having rather big mouths, especially when intoxicated or heavily drunk, telling people about some of my more embarrassing experiences as a child. Some of which include being forced into diapers for bedwetting.

Which is why I've remained hesitant to be romantic involved with women to any extent until I'm sure some family members and/or relatives can keep their mouths shut about such things. Or at least know where to draw the line on telling tales from "The Embarrassment stories of one James T. Knight, vol. 1!" Book.

Anyway, again that's just a guess. But like I said, unless you've done something ridiculously wrong in terms of the law, or have been caught up in some kind of criminal investigation, then you have nothing to be ashamed about.

I hope that helps. Feel free to private message me if you want to talk. It helps talking about what makes us feel these things such as shame, or self esteem issues, or even anxiety over potential future dating or relationship issues involving your revealing being a DL.

Regards,

-James T. Knight 2018
"Don't worry about anyone other than yourself, and always be happily diapered!" -JTK 2018

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lots of big boys like to wear diapers.

Hey, James.
I really appreciate your answer, and all the effort you put into writing your reply.
My backstory is kind of a tangled one, but my childhood was nothing but hard. I didn't get abused, but my mother died when I was 11, and my half-siblings prevented me from getting me to live with my father like I wanted too.
(Although I did get to live with him for a year or so.)
so when I was 13-ish, I was moved to an orphanage after orphanage. And THAT, is where I started to feel pain, get abused, verbally, and I even was attacked by someone working at one of the orphanages. (Needless to say, that I reported that to the police.)
Anyways, I just thought, that since you went in on past a bit, I just wanted to clarify mine a bit.

When coming to my love-life, I've never had a too serious relationship, my last one was the closest to a real relationship I've had since middle-school. I actually considered telling her about my DL-side, but luckily I didn't since we broke up not too long ago.

I am happy to hear that I can contact you, I might do it, since getting friends with common interests would be a great idea for me.

Best regards.
-Chris.

Hi Chris,

I am an AB/Little, and this is sexual for me. I beat myself up over this for decades and it's not worth it. Like James says, if you haven't done anything illegal, then you are dealing with what many of us have struggled with, which is shame and fear of rejection. I don't know if being DL is tied into sex for you. If it isn't, there is nothing wrong with wearing diapers to relax. If sexual stimulation is one reason why you wear, we all have different things that turn us on. Someone who cares about you as a friend and/or loves you for who you are won't care. The key, for me at least, has been accepting that, while not the entirety of my identity, wearing diapers and being little is an important part of who I am, even if it is not 24/7.

As for therapists, there are kink- and fetish-aware therapists out there. My seeing such a therapist literally changed my life and I'm much happier now because in accepting this part of who I am I became more honest about my needs both to myself and others.

I don't pretend to know what it's like to have lived your life, and we each have our own journeys to personal acceptance. But just know that you are okay as you are and wearing diapers for whatever reason is no reason to repeatedly beat yourself up inside. Trust me on this - I'm only now healing from self-loathing about this part of me.

Be well,

Tab

TabulaRasa2017 said:
Hi Chris,

I am an AB/Little, and this is sexual for me. I beat myself up over this for decades and it's not worth it. Like James says, if you haven't done anything illegal, then you are dealing with what many of us have struggled with, which is shame and fear of rejection. I don't know if being DL is tied into sex for you. If it isn't, there is nothing wrong with wearing diapers to relax. If sexual stimulation is one reason why you wear, we all have different things that turn us on. Someone who cares about you as a friend and/or loves you for who you are won't care. The key, for me at least, has been accepting that, while not the entirety of my identity, wearing diapers and being little is an important part of who I am, even if it is not 24/7.

As for therapists, there are kink- and fetish-aware therapists out there. My seeing such a therapist literally changed my life and I'm much happier now because in accepting this part of who I am I became more honest about my needs both to myself and others.

I don't pretend to know what it's like to have lived your life, and we each have our own journeys to personal acceptance. But just know that you are okay as you are and wearing diapers for whatever reason is no reason to repeatedly beat yourself up inside. Trust me on this - I'm only now healing from self-loathing about this part of me.

Be well,

Tab

Thank you for your response. It is also a sexual thing for me. I want to talk to people about this, but that's why im here on ADISC, I could never talk about this with someone in person.

What questions did you ask. Your tharpist. And tools did you. Use?

RandomUsernameDL said:
Thank you for your response. It is also a sexual thing for me. I want to talk to people about this, but that's why im here on ADISC, I could never talk about this with someone in person.

I think you should look forward to the day when you could talk about this face to face under the right circumstances (a therapist or an SO, for instance). Aim toward the day when this won't be some deep, dark secret that you have to hold inside but just something private that you can share when it's appropriate. It won't be today and probably not tomorrow but you can make progress. This can be positive if you allow it to be.

Well first, based on your statement, this is NOT a fetish for you. It is a compulsory part of who you are. No matter how much you might consciously wish for it to go away, you are a DL. Now ask yourself this, will fighting your inner self make it stop? Likely no, so they why fight it so much. We are all different, and this is part of you.

Also, ask yourself this; Is liking/needing diapers immoral? How about illegal? Well, does you wearing a diaper even remotely hurt anyone? How about how much it seems to help you by alleviating stress alone? Learn to overcome misinformation and misjudgment. Stop worrying about what others think so much, and worry about what you think for a change (pun intended).

I think it's very natural to feel ashamed about this when one is young. I certainly did. Growing up on the Jersey Shore, I thought I had to be tough. I played sports and I weight lifted. Wearing diapers and regressing to feel like a baby didn't fit the rest of how I defined myself, yet the desire was always there and very strong. Over time I learned to accept all of myself, not just a part of who I am. I think Trevor is right in that if you can find someone who supports you and can affirm that this is okay, you will feel a lot better. Usually, this come with time.

RandomUsernameDL said:
Best regards.
-Chris.
Who cares! Don't believe the hype. People love to shame us because they're idiots. I a was DL since age 3. Just don't care what people think. I don't care. Just pray about it.

Sent from my UL40 using Tapatalk

Y.O.L.O... I guess...

But that of course... Depends... :p (Pun very much intended.)

Just relax. Go pee and poop in your diaper and be happy.

For me, part of accepting myself as a diaper lover is also accepting the fact that I sometimes find it hard to accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back