I had a bone graft (for dental implant) done today

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It was odd and moderately painful for part of the procedure (they numbed the gums, but you cant numb bone, which they had to work on so that it will be growing bone in the upcoming months).

but I championed through it, even attempting to let them finish stitching me up when I started feeling a little pain (because it was in the last few minutes and I wanted it to be done); so now I'm almost certain the worst part of the whole procedure is behind me.

Most of the procedure was easy and painless, but when the parts that were more involved with the bone were among one of the more painful things I've been through (although the #1 would have to be random abdominal pain I had months ago for several days that had me barely able to stand; I powered through that at home because I am stubborn like that and try to hide any and all pain I'm in, it's just how I am)

I also have to mention that the most awkward part for any dental procedure where I've been numbed is always the part where you get hungry or thirsty and try to eat or drink while still partially or even fully numb.

My wife had this done about a month ago. She has been in pain ever since. At first the doc said it was healing well then last week he said the whole thing was infected and took everything out. She goes back next week to see what to do next. $1200 down the drain? We'll see!

Yikes, they prescribed medicated mouthwash and antibiotics to me to use for a while after the surgery, so infection shouldn't happen.

BabyTyrant said:
Yikes, they prescribed medicated mouthwash and antibiotics to me to use for a while after the surgery, so infection shouldn't happen.

She had two rounds of amoxicillin. She did the mouthwash, too. The doc made her think (maybe joking) she did something like chew too much on that side.

Just do your meds as prescribed. I don't mean to scare you as much as caution you.

Ugh! Sorry for all the pain for both of you. I had a root canal yesterday and it's still tender today. I've been in pain for the last week and a half. Dental and jaw work is never any fun. To make matters worse, my healthcare plan dropped my dental plan and I had to wait a year before it would pay for a root canal, so I had to pay the full amount of $1300.

Well, other than the pain during part of the surgery it's been a pretty easy experience, hopefully with the medicated mouthwash and the antibiotics nothing will go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back