Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblueblanket

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Annual reasonable accommodation time with HR again. I almost find it insulting to ask do you still require the use of protective briefs during hours of on-duty. Don't beat around the bush, it's called a diaper. Call it what it is. I'm sure some feel that calling it what it is would be to forward Your not hurting my feelings HR lets just be real.

Ya I've noticed that too. I called the depends help line cause the tapes broke. They kept calling them "pants". Maybe calling them diapers is seen as less than professional.

dlboylife said:
Ya I've noticed that too. I called the depends help line cause the tapes broke. They kept calling them "pants". Maybe calling them diapers is seen as less than professional.

I agree. I'm to the point. I feel like when someone says "absorbent pants", "protective briefs", or any of the multitudes of names your circumventing real conversation or incredibly uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable or circumventing in conversation is an indicator you're hiding something in my line of work.

Probably the misnomer here is that people are embarrassed to call them diapers.

babyblueblanket said:
I agree. I'm to the point. I feel like when someone says "absorbent pants", "protective briefs", or any of the multitudes of names your circumventing real conversation or incredibly uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable or circumventing in conversation is an indicator you're hiding something in my line of work.

Probably the misnomer here is that people are embarrassed to call them diapers.

I guess some people might feel less embarrassed if they are called something besides diapers.

I guess it's just something in their mind that makes the association that Diapers are for Babies and the elderly and therefore if they don't consider themselves "old enough" to need diapers then it makes them feel better calling them by another name.

In a way it's sort of deflecting, it's like "a rose by any other name", except that it would be "a diaper by any other name", calling it something else doesn't change the reality of what they are and what they do.

In this day and age of everybody getting offended over everything you can't blame them for trying to keep things low key and professional. They probably just feel that "diapers" is the most offensive/triggering term and their training errs them on the side of caution. So they bust out the good old thesaurus and try to find a more...eloquent way of asking.

Why does HR need to know what kind of underwear you have on? Do females get question about there Kotex usage?

Str88jacketabdl said:
Why does HR need to know what kind of underwear you have on? Do females get question about there Kotex usage?

I work in position that requires a reasonable accommodation to manage my incontinence. In order for a reasonable accommodation to be granted and certified (yearly) you have to disclose what the reason is.

My reasonable accommodation states that after 3 hours of standing duty post I am permitted 15 minutes to manage my needs or if an urgent need comes about I can be relieved without consequence.

Last edited:
What do you do for work that a couple extra potty breaks have to be declared?

babyblueblanket said:
Annual reasonable accommodation time with HR again. I almost find it insulting to ask do you still require the use of protective briefs during hours of on-duty. Don't beat around the bush, it's called a diaper. Call it what it is. I'm sure some feel that calling it what it is would be to forward Your not hurting my feelings HR lets just be real.
Telling HR is like stepping on a landmine! career wise. It can go two ways benefit you or be hurtful for you I urge caution in telling anyone in Management.

xpluswearer said:
Telling HR is like stepping on a landmine! career wise. It can go two ways benefit you or be hurtful for you I urge caution in telling anyone in Management.

I think you might have come to pier a little late, Captain. The ship has sailed without you.

TheWolfEmperor said:
I think you might have come to pier a little late, Captain. The ship has sailed without you.

Da Boat! Da Boat!! sez the little midget from that show that escapes my fingertips! LOL They said Pier 39 the boat left from OOPS!

Meanwhile on the boat...

If HR wants to be all politically correct, then have a little fun with them. By fun, use terms like "externalized bladder", "substance retaining apparel", and "non-powered waste disposal bin". HR isn't always as bad as everyone makes them out to be; though to be fair, I do agree that is the last place even I want to be at on a given day [during work].

xpluswearer said:
Da Boat! Da Boat!! sez the little midget from that show that escapes my fingertips! LOL They said Pier 39 the boat left from OOPS!

Fantasy Island. Herve Villechaiz and Roberto Montalban were the stars. The Love Boat was on right before it. What a Saturday night it was!

(He actually said, "Da plane! Da plane!")

Scaramouche said:
Fantasy Island. Herve Villechaiz and Roberto Montalban were the stars. The Love Boat was on right before it. What a Saturday night it was!

(He actually said, "Da plane! Da plane!")
I know I was trying my hand at humor. Thank you for the assist on the info .

xpluswearer said:
I know I was trying my hand at humor. Thank you for the assist on the info .

Ah. Sorry I was so literal. :)

For what it's worth, if HR is being formal, they're actually being technically correct. This came up in the thread a little ago while about about whether you can buy diapers with an FSA account or not, and one of the major things to note is that according to most of the government definitions (which is what HR has to abide by when they're doing this kind of formal accommodation stuff), "diaper" refers only to the undergarments for babies. The same undergarment for adults, even the ABDL ones, are classed as medical devices and might be called something like absorbent briefs or pads.

All great posts on the subject. Management doesn't know, they just have a directive from HR that if I have a need they can't punish you for it. We have rotating posts at my workplace for days when I am on the checkpoint. (which is not many since my primary function is programs support) but in order to stay certified you have to work the posts. The posts are manned 24/7 and are never unattended.

I hate that too. Call them what they are, and save us the confusion.

Too many times I've asked for diapers at a hospital, or the va, or wherever. The nurse confirmes ok I'll get you some "pads", or "protection", or whatever. And sure enough they come back with something that isn't an actual diaper. Now I just stop them right when they say that, and correct them I asked for diapers not some other junk.

Just the other day I had to get a prescription refill for triple diaper cream too. The pharmacist went to confirm it, and said tripple.... pause... um cream. After the long pause I corrected her and said it was ok to call it what it is, tripple diaper cream.

Is it me or am I in a episode of Lost in Translation? I thought it was for HR as in (Human Resources) in a place of employment... someone hand me a pocket translator please. LOL. I do call diapers uh diapers, unless its Depends then I call them Fitted Briefs that is what KC calls them anyways. Oh well.

Slomo I think that the pharmacist was trying to be discreet nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back