Preferred word for something to hold bodily wastes

• Diapers

Votes: 80 73.4%
  • Nappies

Votes: 29 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diaper comes from the material used it was a pattern type used in the USA hence the term for a nappy (napkin) was replaced with diaper, in the same context that people refer to vaccums as hoovers wich is a brand not an appliance.
Being British its a Nappy but i use diaper on this site as most is US.

I don't mind either way but they will always be nappies to me. My continence nurse always refers to them as pads.

bigtoddler96 said:
Which word do you like to call for something that you pee and poop in it? Which one sounds better? Why you chose one over the other?
I am American so diapers of course.

Sent from my UL40 using Tapatalk

michaelmc said:
Diaper comes from the material used it was a pattern type used in the USA hence the term for a nappy (napkin) was replaced with diaper, in the same context that people refer to vaccums as hoovers wich is a brand not an appliance.
Being British its a Nappy but i use diaper on this site as most is US.
Be you.

Sent from my UL40 using Tapatalk

Nappy is originally a british term. It started as a reference to a knap or cloth napkin that women used to use for periods. When expanded to a fully wearable knap, the term nappy was coined. It specifically refers only to cloth diapers.

Diaper is an American term, and was coined by the inventor of the first disposable product, also originally known as a boater.

The two terms are actually referring to two quite distinct products. Unfortunately most don't even realize that and try to use them interchangeably.

aleakyboomboom said:
Whats wrong with it sounding British? thats a rather odd statement to make.

Nothing against british or their accent - I actually enjoy listening to people with an accent, regardless of what it is. (spanish, russian, jamacan, british, japanese, chinese, whatever) But hearing a word like that kind of "displaces" me into another culture and mindset, and diapers for me are a very personal, local thing, and so I don't like how giving them a different name kind of "takes me away" from where I want to be at that time. It's like checking your mail on your phone while you're at the restaurant, or reading a newspaper while you're at the amusement park, if you can get what I mean.

Despite being British and growing up with the word Nappy, it's the word equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me...

Last edited:
Diaper is the official translation I learned, so as a non-native English speaker, that's what I would call them. Well, if I was talking about them in German, I would say "Windel" or "Pampers", but that's not a option here^^

Diaper is what I'm used to saying being in the US, but nappy is a fun term as well and it doesn't bug me at all.

I am English, so grew up with (and in) nappies. But I prefer diapers, somehow.

Been thinking again about it. Perhaps I'm the only one, but I think of cloth as a nappy, and a disposable as a diaper.

yfront said:
Been thinking again about it. Perhaps I'm the only one, but I think of cloth as a nappy, and a disposable as a diaper.

You're far from the only one. That's the originally correct terminology for both of them.

Slomo said:
You're far from the only one. That's the originally correct terminology for both of them.
I refer to both cloth and disposable as “diapers”.

When I was younger (in the UK) some posh people still said 'napkin'. It has the same origins as the square cloth used at meals for wiping up spills.

But as Shakespeare said, 'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet'!

Iggie said:
When I was younger (in the UK) some posh people still said 'napkin'. It has the same origins as the square cloth used at meals for wiping up spills.

But as Shakespeare said, 'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet'!

Shapespear was wrong. If you call a rose stink weed of instant death I'm sure it won't smell as sweet. Hence why proper names and terms are so important.

I think Nappies is the superior word, if you slow down the pronunciation of diaper it sounds kinda like “die a per” where Nappies has “nap” in it which is something babies do so it’s cute not grim.

Understand both words were in existence and used in various places before the first disposables or even boaters were available so both words are fine for cloth or disposables (though Nappies sounds better.)

Argent said:
I think Nappies is the superior word,

Yep haha while I use both I like the word nappy better. Though I find myself using diaper alot on this site as most people seem to use that over nappy.

As a kid I wanted to wear nappies not diapers so the word is deep rooted in my mind more so than diapers.

Although I always wondered how you say "diapered" with the term nappy..."nappied"? Doesn't quite ring as nicely I think.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the word hinges on what you grew up with. Growing up in the U. S., it's diapers and in the U.K. it's nappies.

Crinkles, padding, cloud-pants, floof-butt, etc.

But I'm the weirdo who insists on calling them "Unders" or "Floofs".

I don't like Diaper because it kinda sounds like diarrhea. And a lot of people call coarse textured hair "Nappy". XD

Even though I#d like to see me more as a 'Brittish-speaking type', I prefer saying 'diapers'. I don't really know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back