PeekABU Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m almost through my 1st pack of 10 of the simple ultra’s, there really nice, but I think I hit a snag, the tapes, the last 2 diapers the back of the tape that folds over onto itself for supreme wing attachment was also stuck to the diaper shell, I just carefully cut that off with scissors, but last night I went and grabbed a new diaper and I was totally missing the bottom right tape. I used regular tape to make the attachment but that kinda failed during the night and I woke up to a wet, but loose diaper. I hope the rest of my case don’t have these tape issues I’m sure it’s isolated though, and you usually get these issue’s with a first batch / run of a product.
I will take pics and send them to Abu cares if I do run into anymore tape problems.

bambinod said:
Been there, done that. Your package was most likely delivered to the wrong address. Possibly to the right house number on a different street. This has been a chronic problem for me, and I'm on a "non-permanent route" that gets different carriers all the time, so it's not just a carrier-specific problem. The USPS is the only delivery service at this point that doesn't have a GPS on their datapad, to record where a delivery was left. Their data pad DOES record if they make the delivery, they have to scan the package bar code and tap Delivered, but it doesn't record where they were when they scanned it. So here's how the investigation goes: "Gary, did you leave that package at 1313 Mockingbird Lane?" "Yep sure did!" Case Closed! seriously, that's how it works.

Thanks for the input on how to prevent lost USPS packages. I just wanted to add a happy postscript by reporting that ABU was kind enough to send out a replacement set of samples. They certainly wouldn’t have had to, so kudos to them! We’ll cross fingers and hope that the package arrives this time.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what do you all think about the shell texture of the diaper? I have tried wellness superio in the past, and I completely loathed the texture on those. Personally my favorite diaper plastic so far has been on North Shore Lite and ABU Simple.

Also, do the Simple Ultras have that same dimpled texture?

I haven't mentioned this before, but when I got my shipment, part of the taping panels of the diapers were visible where the cardboard was taped over. I want to bring this to the attention of ABUniverse. Nothing was removed from the packages. I do have one FedEx employee who appears to be a bit nosy. For me, it is not a big deal as I do have a letter from my doctor stating my needs. However, I don't want to burden others with my medical condition when it is not necessary. PLEASE, consider the needs of the postal carriers when these items are packed. For those without special needs, especially delivery carriers, seeing a pack of diapers that are sized for adults can be traumatizing, because it may remind some of becoming senile, and their eventual mortality.

Even though the diapers are white, the name "PeekABU" rhymes with "Pink and Blue".:giggles:

Can't wait to receive mine I am very encouraged by all the great comments. I thought I would share this and see if anyone noticed or its just me. I am a photographer and notice things that many would not give a second thought to but ABU's pictures I don't believe do credit to the peakabu range. these 2 photos I have shared was off the website and I did a quick edit to correct a few issues. in my eye it looks much better but maybe ill try and take some images when mine arrive. I feel its important for a new product that you really want to show it off visually. enjoy your peakabu's PAB_Product_Image_18.jpg PAB_Product_Image_18-1.jpg

Doing a test today, wore a tykables overnight last night thru this morning, I had the diaper on the verge of leaking when I changed, put the used diaper in a plastic shipping bag and next to my diaper pal in the garage. I changed into a abu simple ultra, my intentions are to wet it as much as it can take, when I change out of it I’ll will compare the 2 diapers by weight (non scientific) just judging which when is heavier, again I will only change when it feels on the verge of leaking

Just ordered a pack, but they are currently out of stock. We'll see how long before mine actually ship. Very interested in giving these a full test run for several days.

Though I have to say, a pack of 10 costing $50 is an absolute rip off. No idea what a case might cost, but at $5 per diaper, not even these lasting 24 hours would make them worth it.

I ordered 2 Medium and 2 Large Simple Ultras for testing.
From both Mediums the left tape came off the wing. The larges seem to be fine.
Absorption and wicking is excellent.
You can wear them stealthy until you start wetting them.
I definitely plan to order a few boxes but only once the tape problem has been solved.

I got my pack of 10 in today, and I just now tried one on for the first time. I am a 32” waist and usually wear mediums in ABU Little Pawz, and the PeekABU mediums seem a little small for my size. However, they are also snugger in fit at the legs, so they may be more leak-proof with this new fit than older ABU diapers. They are quite thin and don’t crinkle too loudly, so at first blush they seem like a discreet choice for a daytime diaper. I haven’t wet much yet though, and once they begin to swell I’m sure discrete daytime wearing goes right out the window!

Well I've about gone through my first bag and I'm finding it really hard to get a good fit, they're just a bit too small for me. (size large, 40" waist, size L space/simple/paws fit me great) I don't suppose anyone bought size XL and is finding they're too big and would care to swap a half a case?
SimCo said:
I got my pack of 10 in today, and I just now tried one on for the first time. I am a 32” waist and usually wear mediums in ABU Little Pawz, and the PeekABU mediums seem a little small for my size.

I know, right? Medium are supposed to fit 31-36". ABU really needs to change the size range on their web site.

(If I can't find anyone with XL peek-abu to trade, I'll probably offer an even swap for half a case of paws or simple in size Large, make someone's day)

bambinod said:
Well I've about gone through my first bag and I'm finding it really hard to get a good fit, they're just a bit too small for me. (size large, 40" waist, size L space/simple/paws fit me great) I don't suppose anyone bought size XL and is finding they're too big and would care to swap a half a case?

I know, right? Medium are supposed to fit 31-36". ABU really needs to change the size range on their web site.

(If I can't find anyone with XL peek-abu to trade, I'll probably offer an even swap for half a case of paws or simple in size Large, make someone's day)

Hi Bambinod, I have just placed my order for peakabu’s lge before seeing your post I’m concerned I may end up with same issue. I find the fit of littlepaws etc lge fit me really well except always wish I had a better fit around rear legs which when I read others remarks that peakabu’s have different tape locations leading to better leg fitting I was excited. However now I’m concerned overall size may be too small. Can you still tape wings up or is wing length much different?
For me I get a great fit with lavenders single tape the lrg fit me great I was hoping to get that kind of fit with peakabu’s. I have a bit of a belly on me and consequently lower cut diapers always fit me better despite liking high fitting. I believe generally abu have a lower rise cut compared to similar size in a lot of med brands which is one reason I love them but I’ll have my fingers crossed until they arrive. There too expensive to be making mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of the "fit" issues are coming from that lower landing zone. Might have taken it out of context but I think I saw a tweet on their site saying they were fixing that for the next batch.

The tape panel is just half of the problem. The other half of the issue is the diaper is two inches shorter and two inches narrower than their regular diapers. The top tapes need to move out an inch each, but they also really need to move up an inch, and I normally attach my top tapes right at the top of the tape panel. Them having moved the tape panel DOWN an inch just makes it worse.

The lower tapes are also a problem for a very different reason. There, the tapes are both lower AND shorter so they can't really make it to the front where I normally attach them. I tried different methods and gave up on "taping in", and have changed to "taping down and around". I'm basically taping around my legs now instead of in toward the middle, and the fit is much more comfortable. The diaper sill rides a lot lower than I'd like it to, but isn't pulled too tight to my body and I can still get good drainage in the crotch. Looking on the bright side, I am actually attaching to the very lower outer edge of the tape panel - which wouldn't BE there if they hadn't moved it down. So I guess... that's a good thing?

I took off my peekabu this morning to survey where the tapes were at and was shocked to see how far the lowers had been moved out. I may take a few pics to show others an alternative way to fit them.

On an unrelated note, I didn't manage to wet any of the back of my diaper overnight, but then again I didn't think I'd drank that much before bed. This didn't surprise me until I went to change in the morning, and dear lord that diaper was heavy! The capacity has really increased a lot. It was only then that I realized just how much they had swollen up overnight.

Unless ABU has choice of the manufacturer's cutting dies for the padding and shell, there's no chance we'll see them adjust the sizes. So we just have to get used to it I guess.

PeekABU review

So I've been wearing the new PeekABU diapers for the last 5 days (in late April 2018) & though I'd give an in-depth review of my own. Since Crinklz is my normal go-to diaper I'll be comparing it to them. Also attached are pictures for everyone to look at.

Appearance/Sizing. ABU diapers all tend to fit a little on the small/average side, and these hold true to that model. They are about 1" smaller of a cut all the way around the entire diaper as compared to Crinklz. Except for in the crotch area which is the same width. This would be good since that's where the padding is needed the most, but there's a catch. With both diapers allowed to expand out of the bag, PeekABU appears to be only slightly thinner than Crinklz. This is highly misleading though, as PeekABU has a much thinner center core running the length of the diaper. It is so thin you can actually see light coming through the padding when held up to a light- but with no light around the outer edges. So overall it is definitely a thinner diaper. Oh, and I find I like the colorful and babyish looks of the characters "peeking" over the top part of the diaper.

Tapes. These are much improved versus other ABU diapers, with the lower tapes actually positioned just far enough down to be called "lower". You can even tape them on fully below the tape landing zone. This finally allows for a snug enough fit around the legs, though I do wish they were a positioned about 1/2" lower on the back wings so they would line up with the front wings a little better. That is, not needing to be angled down any.

One very major problem that continues with ABU tapes in general though, is the spacing between the upper and lower tapes. They are still just way too close together. The top tapes would work much better if they were positioned another 2" or even 3" higher. As they are now, you have to try and angle to top tapes up as much as you can. They end up landing at the very top of the landing zone panel, but that's still another 2" too low. As such, the top tapes are not able to be secured at the belt line (or just above the hip bones). And that causes the diaper to sag really bad and even fall down.

Yet another problem I found with the tapes is when you secure them to the shell anywhere off of the harder landing zone plastic, then they will not come off without ripping the shell. This means you have only one shot to get it right. Worse still, when the diaper gets heavy or stretches from wearing them more than a couple hours you won't be able to re-tighten the tapes. You absolutely will need a onesie, tighty whitey underwear, or something else to help keep the diaper up and in place.

Performance. Don't get me wrong, these are the first ABU diapers that won't leak around the legs (usually within 4 hours) while fully using them. I stay well hydrated, usually taking in about 64 ounces of water per day (that nearly a full 2 liter bottle- per day). That means I pee a heck of a lot. These diapers have a fair amount of sap in them, but not as much as Crinklz does. Overall, I found they will last about 12 hours before getting ready to leak. Out of 10 diapers I had one very minor leak around the legs during the day, and a second one with another minor leak over the top while attempting to sleep in (I am a side sleeper). Both were around the 13 hour mark, and both felt over saturated like they just couldn't hold any more.

The padding also has less coverage than Crinklz, with the front and back or the padding coming up about 1" less (meaning more dead plastic space than it should have). They do swell when wet, but surprising not all that much. The wicking was also ok, but not as good a Crinklz which will saturate all the way to the back before leaking. Both times I saturated the PeekABU diapers to their leak point, but the back 3-4 inches was still dry.

Pricing. A major downside is these diapers only come per packages of 10, which I bought larges directly from ABU's website. One pack will cost about $45 with shipping. That breaks down to $4.50 per diaper, which is incredibly high. With 2 diapers used per day, that would be a whopping $9.00 per day. As comparison, large Crinklz bought from Northshore cost about $121 for a case of 60, or $2.02 per diaper. And while these can last 24 hours I always change every 12 anyways just to avoid rashes/smells. So the same 2 per day only cost $4.04. Way less than even half the cost of PeekABU.

For all these reasons, I wouldn't recommend anyone use PeekABU as their go-to diaper- especially anyone who needs diapers 24/7. Again, don't get me wrong on this though. They certainly are very well performing, and great for periodic indulging. Dare I say they may even be ABU's first premium grade diaper. Very well improved over their other brands, but still with lots of room for further improvements.

Attachments

• PeekABU size.JPG
    PeekABU size.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 364
  • PeekABU padding.JPG
    PeekABU padding.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 384
  • PeekABU tapes.JPG
    PeekABU tapes.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 315
  • PeekABU thickness.JPG
    PeekABU thickness.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 742
My Peakabus finally arrived and my goodness I think I have a new favourite.
Slomo and others I totally see what you are talking about regarding top tape position. It could be slightly higher however the fit for me is fantastic. They are snug around my legs better than most other with exception to lavenders, wellness briefs and old Tena slip maxis. The plastic and padding are super soft and overall they are very comfy with a great snuggly feel. They are thinner than I expected and are quite stealthy when dry but do swell a lot when wet and wick better than the other Abu premium line which I suspect is helped by the thin centre panel. These are truely wonderful my only constructive criticism would be a deeper tape panel would be great and the price. Please Abu they are great but ouch$$$
This won’t stop me buying more but will limit my consumption of them.

Well, I decided to get a few bags of XL to see how well they'd do. (Lg is my normal size for ALL other diapers) Tried my first one last night, and I must say they are wonderful when they fit right!

Top tapes were slightly closer than I'd like to see them, but at least I could put them on the tape panel. Lowers came IN, rather than having to go straight down to the lower corner of the panel, so the fit was much better. Capacity was great too. They're comfortable, though they actually don't swell as much as a Safari, but they wick better, so my side-sleeping is easier. I'd call the padding "perfect".

My next case will definitely be XL!

Anyway, for anyone ordering, just go one whole size larger than anything else you'd order from ABU and you should be fine. They really ought to correct that though.

When wet do they feel like the wellness brief? In my opinion the wellness brief had so much SAP in it that it felt like a jockstrap full of Jello when it got wet or do theses have a better feel as if there is more to them then just SAP? Am interested in trying one for the absorption they are said to have but if they feel like the Wellness I would not be interested.I also have some concerns about the legs being tighter then other diapers as I get irritation sometimes from the legs. thus far my go to brand is dry 24/7's

When wet the PeekAbu’s feel tremendous!! I’m not sure what to compare them to. The bulge spreads nicely throughout the diaper even when wetting in a seated position. Although out of habit I sort of lift up my butt a bit when wetting and driving to be sure there is a place for the flow to go. I haven’t worn a wellness in many years but I remember them being very squishy and not in a good way. Kinda sloppy in a way?

Thanks Squishypants for your response. The (squishy not in a good way) is exactly what i was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back