Baby Food Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleAndrea

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
It's been a while since I wrote about one of my baby food dinners.
As I have said before every once in a while I love a baby food dinner but as many have mentioned before real baby food is bland and unappealing. It is because of this I make homemade purees at home of real food. Just thought I would give you a peeky at my very yummy dinner.

123.jpg

I wrote on the pic what each thing is but I'll list it here too.

• Store Prepared Chicken Alfredo - I added some chicken stock to give it a smoother consistancy, it made a ton so I will be having leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
  • Green Giant Sauced Brussels Sprouts - I added a little water to thin this one out a tad, it didn't change the taste in the slightest.
  • Peach Jello - Sugar Free 1/2 cup serving
  • Store Bought Pineapple Cup - This is pineapple that is soaked in coconut milk. I drank most of the coconut milk because I didn't want it to be so thin you could drink it but pineapple soaks it up really well so it was still very coconutty. Need to make this more often.

Has anyone else done something like this? If not you should try it!

I have never cooked anything for little me. Usually when little I eat babies’ fruit puree, grapes and a few candies. And drink orange- or fruit juice from my sippy cup :)

I'm curious to know how many calories are in that dinner. looks like a starvation diet to me but if you made it yourself with what you would have eaten anyway, I'm sure it wouldn't matter. how many times did you wash your blender for rhat meal? Did you find any of it too runny and have to throw in a slice of bread to thicken it?

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

I always love these threads when you do them! They make me so curious, and I love being curious! Soft and creamy is a really sought after texture for me, but I have a slightly more developed palate than anyone in my family, besides mom. I actually like kale, Brussels sprouts, pretty much anything green and leafy, but, green peas? No! Why!? Want me to eat those? Cook 'em to mush, or hide them in soup, and let 'em cook a long time.

On another side note if the idea of cooking takes you out of little space I have made purees for future use many times. Just if you are pureeing any fruits add like a tsp of lemon juice to stop it from oxidizing. For storage I have two methods I stick to. I use 4 and 8 oz Ball Jars for things that I am going to be eating at home:
123.jpg
And for the things that I am going to be eating on the go like on a road trip or at work I use these adorable packets I got on Amazon:
123.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so it for some reason erased my first response. :dunno:
The calories in this dinner were the same as those of a regular dinner, before they were pureed it was about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of chicken alfredo. You never think of how much empty air is in food. There were about 3/4 cup of brussels sprouts and it was a full regular fruit cup of pineapple and a half a cup of SF Jello that of course is only like 15 calories if that. The whole meal was probably between 650 to 700 calories.
As for the consistency I always start it with adding no additional liquid. If it is VERY dry to start just a tbs or 2 of liquid. Then just add a tbs or so at a time until it is the consistency that I like, pretty much just when it gently swirls around on it's own. If anyone is curious I use fat free low sodium chicken broth or water for savory foods and grape juice or water for sweet. Depending on what it is every once in a while it calls for milk instead like I wouldn't use grape juice for my morning cereal puree.
I cleaned the blender 3 times but it is just a bullet blender so it's essentially washing a cup and rinsing the blade and then washing the blade thoroughly at the end. Plus it can all go in the dishwasher!
Lastly to SpAzpieSweeTot brussels sprouts are my second favorite vegetable, next to peas but I'm picky about them, they have to be the canned type. Frozen ones taste WAY different and I'm not a big fan.

Hopefully this one doesn't disappear lol.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 16
LittleAndrea, question for you. How do pasta and rice work in the blender? I ask, because, with my CP, rice is evil!:lol: It's so small, unless there's something to hold it together, it can roll off even a spoon. I'm so jealous of normal people, who find eating rice, and even mashed potatos, with a fork no problem!:lol: Long, skinny pastas, are 1 of the 2 things a fork is good for, well, 3, the other 2 being salads, and stabbing myself, and my CP effected sister, respectively, in the mouth!:lol: Yeah, we both prefer hands, cups, or spoons.:lol: You've added a new method to my preferred eating list, with those jealousy inducingly adorable pouches, and, maybe, my sister's too, if they didn't look so cute. Can the pouches be refrigerated, frozen, and microwaved? How are they filled, and washed? Oh my gosh, how pwecious!? I wan' 'em.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
LittleAndrea, question for you. How do pasta and rice work in the blender? I ask, because, with my CP, rice is evil!:lol: It's so small, unless there's something to hold it together, it can roll off even a spoon. I'm so jealous of normal people, who find eating rice, and even mashed potatos, with a fork no problem!:lol: Long, skinny pastas, are 1 of the 2 things a fork is good for, well, 3, the other 2 being salads, and stabbing myself, and my CP effected sister, respectively, in the mouth!:lol: Yeah, we both prefer hands, cups, or spoons.:lol: You've added a new method to my preferred eating list, with those jealousy inducingly adorable pouches, and, maybe, my sister's too, if they didn't look so cute. Can the pouches be refrigerated, frozen, and microwaved? How are they filled, and washed? Oh my gosh, how pwecious!? I wan' 'em.

There's loads of these pouches on amazon. They open at the bottom with a zip-lock kinda closure, so they're really easy to clean and fill! There's plain ones as well, so your sister might prefer that :) You can put them in the fridge and freezer, but not in the microwave. I hope this was helpful :)
Oh, and another thing: There's loads of pureed baby food with pasta or rice inside it, so they should be okay in the blender.

There's another type of food pouch called the Squeasy. The 16 ouncer is called the Sport. It's food grade silicone, so, I'd imagine you could microwave it, if you take the plastic ring off. It's got a removable spillproof insert, that comes out for free-flow. It's good for anything, from liquid to purée.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:

Schwanensee is right, there are tons on amazon. If you are going to freeze them make sure that you leave some room in the pouch for expansion. As for warming it up, if you are ok with warmed not hot, you can always sit it for about 20 mins in a bowl of hot tap water like you would warming up a bottle.

Pasta blends SUPER easy once it's cooked. For meals with pasta in it I usually just make it as I would if I were eating it not pureed and then blend it after it is ready to serve. With rice I suggest running raw minute rice through the blender. This becomes pretty fine in the bullet, if you don't have one you may want to use a coffee grinder. I've never tried long cook rice so be careful not to break your grinder. Minute rice is much lighter and easy to break up. You then cook the resulting fine ground rice. I use 1 1/2 times the liquid it calls for. Once everything else is done I stir it in and blend it that way. I find that if you cook the rice whole with the regular parts of the meal and blend the rice pieces tend to stay pretty big no matter how hard I try to get it to incorporate. Hope this helps a little. :smile1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back