How to combat clumping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotographer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
So recently I got a couple packs of abenas, which I now love, but I have run into a issue that I’m not so knowledgeable with. Whenever it gets wet the padding just seems to fall off from the plastic shell and move to the bottom. I know it’s probably common for this to happen, but is there any way to make the diaper last longer before it breaks down completely? So far I’m thinking less movement to cause it to break up and maybe compression shorts to hold it in place. Again I don’t know much, so if I’m using the wrong diaper or there’s no way to avoid this or even if I’m over thinking this please let me know.

Abena are notorious for clumping. If anything, it is probably their biggest drawback. You can minimize clumping by spending a lot of time seated or laying down. However, this also impacts their performance and is not a guarantee against clumping. Use of compression shorts may mitigate some clumping, but you will negatively impact performance with them as well. The diaper is best used on a lazy day when you won't be moving very much. Save them for a long rainy day of watching a movie or two. I've found that they aren't durable enough for my day to day use.

The only things I know of that helps with my M4s clumping is the addition of a booster, specifically the Abri-let Maxi boosters or a nice snug cover and onesie.
It's something I don't really understand as to why it works but It certainly reduces the clumping. I just make sure I place it forward to get coverage up front.

Thanks for the advice about abenas not being good for active times. Any sugeations then on something I could order off of amazon that would be good for normal day use. Like something I could put on when I’m alone and still get stuff done around the house.

Dry 24/7

Jonnythepony said:
Northshore Supreme is a good choice and can be found on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/NorthShore-Supreme-Briefs-Medium-Pack/dp/B00NI5A2M0/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1522549253&sr=8-4&keywords=northshore%2Bsupreme%2Bbriefs%2Bmedium&th=1
They also have breathable or a "Lite" version if you don't need so much absorbency.

I just got some of those today and if clumping is unwanted I'd avoid these like the plague. I mean first wetting (not flooding just normal) and it was like wearing mud that after a short while turned in to dirt clods. eeew. what are they all SAP and no padding??

As of right now, I can't make a suggestion my stock is 1 1/2 to 2 years old (been gone for a while)

Abena are rubbish. They never used to be this bad, but several rounds of cost cutting ruined them.

Try IDSlip, ABU, Rearz, Betterdry for products that dont clump.

I tend to agree with previous comment that abena are overrated rubbish. Try anything from ABU and you’ll never go back. There single tab line ie lavenders in my experience are one of the most comfortable and secure diapers I have ever tried and there is no clumping regardless of what you do to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate the clumping.... I currently have a case of each Bambino teddy, and Abu barebums. Niether seems to clump at all. Kinda funny. I had a m4 on the other day and it started clumping before it was wet.

Borya said:
I just got some of those today and if clumping is unwanted I'd avoid these like the plague. I mean first wetting (not flooding just normal) and it was like wearing mud that after a short while turned in to dirt clods. eeew. what are they all SAP and no padding??

As of right now, I can't make a suggestion my stock is 1 1/2 to 2 years old (been gone for a while)
I’ve been wearing these 24/7 for managing OAB, and walk normally 4-6 miles a day (so I’d say I’m pretty active), and haven’t had a problem with clumping. They do get a little “tired” if I’ve worn them for 8-10hrs and can’t find somewhere to change, but they hold up better than many other, and also I’d consider that wearing a single diaper too long.

Maybe your stock is old and the adhesives are getting brittle?

PlotTwist said:
I’ve been wearing these 24/7 for managing OAB, and walk normally 4-6 miles a day (so I’d say I’m pretty active), and haven’t had a problem with clumping. They do get a little “tired” if I’ve worn them for 8-10hrs and can’t find somewhere to change, but they hold up better than many other, and also I’d consider that wearing a single diaper too long.

Maybe your stock is old and the adhesives are getting brittle?

Unless they had just happened to find an old pack and send it to me I don't think that's it. I only had them on for 3 maybe 4 hours and was sitting most of the time.

Skip amazon, and go directly to diaper distributors. I personally like Crinklz/Betterdry from Northshore.com. They also have Northshore supreme and confidry 24/7.

"stay dry, change frequently, avoid physical activity, wear higher quality diapers"

Ok so I got some good suggestions for me to look into. The reason I’m looking at amazon for purchases is because it’s the only way I have figured out how to order without other knowing. Having a amazon locker close by makes it convenient, but due to the restriction on what can be sent to one and what is sold on amazon I may have to find a new way to order.

ThePhotographer said:
Ok so I got some good suggestions for me to look into. The reason I’m looking at amazon for purchases is because it’s the only way I have figured out how to order without other knowing. Having a amazon locker close by makes it convenient, but due to the restriction on what can be sent to one and what is sold on amazon I may have to find a new way to order.

I just found out that Rearz ships to local UPS stores for pick up, maybe that will work for you?
You'll not have any clumping issues with them.

I’ll look into that as well as the other suggestions. For now I’ll just deal with the abenas clumping. I don’t know when I’ll be able to order next. It may just end up me dealing with clumping issues until I get through college and have my own place that I could buy better diapers. So until then I’ll just deal with it.

I am always mystified that people don't figure this stuff out. I just bought a case of Abena's M4 pullups, and I've been wearing them for several weeks, no clumping. Wear an tightey whitey undie (or whatever), or a snap-on onsie, over them. It's that simple. You keep them from sagging, and then they don't clump. The M4's hold 1900 ml, so nobody can really bitch about them not holding enough.

Jamieboy said:
I am always mystified that people don't figure this stuff out. I just bought a case of Abena's M4 pullups, and I've been wearing them for several weeks, no clumping. Wear an tightey whitey undie (or whatever), or a snap-on onsie, over them. It's that simple. You keep them from sagging, and then they don't clump. The M4's hold 1900 ml, so nobody can really bitch about them not holding enough.
Huh, for some reason a onsie never crossed my mind, that may actually be useful. Plus it would look like a tucked in undershirt if I got a plain solid color one. Thanks I’ll probably go and add that to my next order.

I only just got myself some Abena Abri-form XL4's today and I've noticed the clumping. Even when it was dry is was clumping on the side. At first I thought it was my erect pecker making the clump, but after constantly adjusting it it would still clump on the left side. After wetting it while sitting down though the clump kinda evened out.

I think it's to do with the fact it's not plastic-backed. In my experience, plastic-backed diapers always helped out supporting the shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back