Anyone know anything about 3DS hacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I bought a modified 3DS and it has Homebrew on it, freeshop, Anemone, FBI, Luma, FTPD, and a back up app for you to back up all your games.

But I want to upgrade to a bigger SD card so I am wondering if I can just copy everything from this card to a bigger one?

I tried looking it up and it keeps mentioning EMUNAND and stuff and I find all this confusing because I am not familiar with the programs and what programs have been installed onto my gaming system.

So if anyone here has done this stuff, I would appreciate your help.

I don't know anything about 3DSes, but I had a quick search. A page from 2015 says that EMUNAND doesn't work any more (no idea if this has changed). One page says you can just copy the files to the new SD card. The other suggests using a partition manager to copy the whole partition to the new SD card:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/upgrading-sd-card-after-hacking-old-3ds-xl.456112/
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3zzwdo/upgrading_sd_card_after_homebrewcfw_installed/

Dunno if that helps at all?

Is the 3ds only hacked when the sd card is inserted?
Years ago i hacked my old gps to use as a music/video player.
The hack files are on a sd card, the "gps" runs the .exe file from the card giving me a media player whenever the card is inserted.
With the card removed and restarted it was just a gps.
Didnt matter what card i had that file on although it wouldnt work on a card bigger than 8gb (this was about 12 years ago).
I had that .exe file on a few sd cards, every now and then i would just add/remove mp3 and video files to them so i didnt get bored of old music in the car.

I've not messed with hacked 3DS' but with SD cards it's normally just copy to the new SD card.

As long as the firmware from Nintendo has been updated everything should run OK. But lack of updates may keep you from online options and the like

Last edited:
For the most part you should be fine copying it to a new sd card, but if it doesn't work you'll have to reinstall all of it again. There's a handy website called 3ds.guide I think that teaches you how to install cfw (essentially hack it) but I think you have to be on an older version of the system. If you updated and transferring the files to a new sd card doesn't work then you might be out of luck :c

I'm going to make a joke that's very poor quality. Please forgive me for not contributing to the actual thread.

Just plug it into windows. Any windows OS will do, any version past XP really. Vista is preferred, Vista or 8. Either or really. Windows will over-right any security protocols anything has. Because Bill Gates, that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back