Books Being Cynical about Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret240

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've noticed pretty much EVERYTIME a book is mentioned in a book, it's in an extremely positive light (I know, who would've guessed!).
Whether or not one likes this, I think it can become a little repetitive.
Does anyone know any books that are cynical or negative about books? I feel it would be refreshing.
On a side note, this idea is more or less based off Solaris, and the refreshingly cynical outlook I though it gave on science. I love science and rationality (maybe too much sometimes!), but again, repetition.

There's this book that has books as a main topic (it's a fantasy story) so of course there's super awesome books, but then there's also the ones that are ridiculously expensive and thought after so much that people kill for them and then there's the books that can kill you all by themselves.

It's called "The City of dreaming books" by Walther Moers, it's originally in German, so I'm not sure how good the translation is, but the book itself is amazing.

I never really noticed this until you pointed it out, but you're absolutely right! It doesn't bother me, though, because I am irrationally, unapologetically fond of books.

I guess this doesn't answer your question exactly, but have you read the Kingkiller Chronicles? Stories are hugely important to the series, but most of the times books exist for sharing knowledge rather than stories (stories are shared by song and word of mouth). Most of the books specifically discussed are cast in a negative or sarcastic light. If you haven't yet read it, might be worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back