"Princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigglemuffinz

Est. Contributor
So, does anyone else suffer from a bit of a Princess overload?

Not saying I dislike princesses! Far from it! I'll admit to being in a revival of my princess phase right now. I got cute displays in my house dedicated or princessdom. More so, just... feeling a little intimidated or maybe a little jealous by the sheer mass of people calling themselves Princess in this community?

That's not a complaint just as much as some perhaps weak feelings I have. The right person calling me princess sends my heart a flutter. I know wanting to adamantly pin it as apart of your identity, I totally do. But I guess because so many LG's really want to be a princess.. it can make it feel a little less special or meaningful to me. When every cute little girl uses it, it can make it a little less meaningful to me.

So I thought about spicing things up like the special snowflake I am, but Princess is such a unique and lovely thing. It doesn't have that old person or old time feel to it, both in age like Queen or Duchess or like... most of those "titles". So I'm curious what other cute, girly, prettyiful, and oh so childish things you like to be called?

Also I'm super curious about all former and current princesses feelings about the term, and maybe if they share any of my weak little complex feelings about the over saturation of the term in the community.

As a child, my family would alternate between calling me princess and witch (which sounds weird in English but isn't actually that bad in German, it's a bit like calling me a little brat, but being nice about it). Another common term of endearment was "Ballettmaus" (literally ballet mouse, it's what you would call a little girl who loves ballet, which I did) or simply "Mäuschen" (again, translates to little mouse, I'd compare it to calling someone "little bug" in English).

I think today I wouldn't want to be called princess anymore, simply because I don't feel like one. I'm not dainty, or delicate (and that's okay, I'm very comfortable with myself) and I tend to not care about gender specifics when I'm little, bur I still like to be called "Mäuschen" or "Spatz" (which means sparrow in German, again a very common term of endearment.) Maybe it's also because calling anyone who is not a little girl anymore a princess has a bit of a negative ring to it in my language, like saying they're very high maintenance and too touchy. Not that I think anyone who prefers that title is like that, mind you, I've just heard it used that way too many times to be comfortable with using it for myself.

Schwanensee said:
As a child, my family would alternate between calling me princess and witch (which sounds weird in English but isn't actually that bad in German, it's a bit like calling me a little brat, but being nice about it). Another common term of endearment was "Ballettmaus" (literally ballet mouse, it's what you would call a little girl who loves ballet, which I did) or simply "Mäuschen" (again, translates to little mouse, I'd compare it to calling someone "little bug" in English).

I think today I wouldn't want to be called princess anymore, simply because I don't feel like one. I'm not dainty, or delicate (and that's okay, I'm very comfortable with myself) and I tend to not care about gender specifics when I'm little, bur I still like to be called "Mäuschen" or "Spatz" (which means sparrow in German, again a very common term of endearment.) Maybe it's also because calling anyone who is not a little girl anymore a princess has a bit of a negative ring to it in my language, like saying they're very high maintenance and too touchy. Not that I think anyone who prefers that title is like that, mind you, I've just heard it used that way too many times to be comfortable with using it for myself.

That's a totally fair way to feel. I admit over time some of that "I don't feel dainty" thing has affected my like of the term too, to be honest. So I appreciate you bringing it up because that's totally a thing. When I was a teenager I latched a lot more strongly to that delicate flower sort of thing, but I guess I don't really like that stuff much anymore.

I guess what fondness I have for the term Princess comes from this.. sparkly vibe my little mind latches on to. It feels sparkly. Pretty. Although I consider myself much more energetic and heartful, and honestly a bit of a tomboy, I still want to be "sparkly" and "pretty" and I like that part of princess-y. Plus I guess I am fond of the stuff in "princess stories" that tend to be solving social problems with being compassionate and sweet. I think that stuff is nice too.

EDIT: Also, thank you so much for sharing some terms you enjoy in your language. I love learning about things like that. ♥ I'm fond of the vibes of them. I certainly love some gender neutral terms that just feel small like that too.

Princess is a bit expected. "Bubba," and, "Sissy," are southern United States toddler speak for, "brother," and, "sister."
One day he said, "Hi, Sizzles," and I asked if that made him, "Bubbles," and he said it did. It's cute, because, I can send him a gif of the, "Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. My bubbles," scene in Finding Nemo, as an inside joke.

I like sparkles, and hearts, and glitter, and pink, and pink, and pink, and purple, and yellow, and I'm giggly, and bubbly as can be, when I feel like it, but I'm neither prem, nor proper. I dunno. Something that alluded to my clingy, cuddly nature, maybe?

Remember the kid's song that has that line, "Take good care of yourself. You belong to me"? Gosh, why the tears? I want that! But I'm no princess.

I like it because the caste system "pretty" much limited the so-called "lower class", the ones who provide the wealth of the entire society, were limited in the amount of decorations we could have. Working class women had flowers for decoration and home-made perfume, but the princesses not only didn't have to make their own gowns or gather their own flowers. And those of us almost-girl boys like the pageantry and just PRETTY the gowns and lace and such.

Not being a Hereditary Dictator, just liking the way it makes me feel pretty.

To me, "Princess" has to be said to me by the right person. The right significant other or big to my little figure in my life. It always made me feel special when my -former- Daddy called me Princess. Shame I got screwed over by the same person. Oh well.

Back on topic though, "Princess" is one of those terms that just makes me feel little and girly, when said by the right person. There is a bit of an overuse of it though I have noticed just in general. People seem to be flooding the internet with "Princess" things, which while I enjoy, is a bit overwhelming and makes it lose its meaning slightly.

I think there's a, "princess feeling." I understand what everyone sees in it, but, I don't feel it when I hear someone say it to me, or, I dress a certain way. I feel that, "Gosh, you're high maintenance; you prem, proper little brat," feeling, instead. Prince, and Princess, are given by default, if a body is born into the right family, and, I don't know enough about it, to be able to say what work is involved in it.

What does give me that princess feeling, is watching figure skating, gymnastics, dance, cheer competitions, pageants, and even handlers at dog shows. I see a command over the participants' own bodies, a fighting spirit, power, beauty, grace, femininity, sometimes, masculinity, and work. I see, "You go. You do your best."

The guys, who are into it, know it's kinda seen as femmie, but, love it too much to give a damn, and, that's cool, to me, too. I even see it in theater actors, and singers. I really do like something about the fact that they wake up before dawn's ass crack, to go work, to get somewhere in their sports, or crafts. Reminds me of having to do the same, as a kid, to go have surgeries done, and, all the pain, and hard work, that came with them. So, no, not a princess, but, happy as can be about what I am, instead.

Honestly, my 2 favorite movie princesses are Mirida, and Fiona. Give me a brave, strong princess, who's willing to get hurt, to work toward a goal, or, give me the anti princess.

Last edited:
Maxx said:
If being a little girl is part of your fantasy, don't you have to have some "suspension of disbelief"?

My granddaughter has a Princess Elsa dress that she wears as often as Mrs Junior will let her (might as well, she'll outgrow it in a couple of heartbeats...). The rest of the time she's wearing pink. Of course both are trite and overused to all of us adults, but she's four. This is her first time through. It's still new and exciting, even if millions of other little girls are doing the exact same thing. If you're pretending to be 4, you also have to pretend its new and exciting to you, even if you've been doing it for.... well, for however long you've been doing it.

Actually, when I was 4 and younger, I was a bit of a tomboy^^ My Princess phase started later, when I got into ballet. But also, we don't "have" to do anything. If being called a princess doesn't feel right for me, it doesn't feel right, and I don't want to grin and bear it just because most little girls like it.

Schwanensee said:
. . . We don't, "have," to do anything. If being called a princess doesn't feel right for me, it doesn't feel right, and I don't want to grin and bear it just because most little girls like it.
Exactly how I feel about wearing dresses! Ever wear a dress with cerebral palsy!? It stands more chance of getting in tinkle, or potty water, so, why should I wear a dress, instead of a shirt, and skirted Capri tights?

I don't have to fake excitement, either. I can just go find something new, and exciting, instead. Science museums, with touchable displays, how one can go to Walmart, pass by the TVs, and, "Oh, wow! I'm on TV," when I was actually wondering where Timbuktu was, and Bubba told me it was in Africa, stuff like that. Pink is always awesome, to me, age be darned.

Suspension of disbelief isn't necessary, until I look at myself in the mirror. My body has breasts, and pubic hair. I wish I didn't have either of them, sometimes. Interestingly, when Aunt Flow comes, I wanna grow off my big, like a parasite, because, it hurts. I wanna be, "No! Oo stay wif me! I gwow offa oo," Little.

Last edited:
I don't think the "Disney Princess" thing has any foundation in reality. It is just aesthetics, which Disney is thankfully slowly reforming to a healthier image (At least as far as terms of race and needing to be in love and have a man... body image, they still have a ways to go.)

Real Princess stuff... well I portray a Duchess (Only slightly junior to a Princess/Prince, and often times in the Italian States was basically a Prince/King/Head of State... at least the men were... women not so much) at a local renfaire, and let me tell you, it is not the image that a lot of you have of a Princess.

My Renfaire mornings start with me pulling one my pants, large fluffy things that were the only underwear women wore. (Men had a similar garment, but because of the fashion of the time, theirs were not quite as long or fluffy.) then my chemise (Which if I was a noble in the 16th century, would be my sleep shirt.) which comes down to my knees. Then I do my make up.... which 16th century someone else would've done for me... bu now, the two women who portray my handmaidens are up, and mostly dress. They come to me, help me do my hair, and then get me into my dress, which I can not do alone.

First, the corset... this is totally my favorite part. It takes both of them to put it on me. One is there for me to hold on to, while the other yanks and pulls etc... (There are more modern corsets I could use, and the girls who are my handmaidens use those, but the individual I portray was um... not modest... and we do a bit everyday were I get "caught" half undressed, so my corset needs to be authentic.) Then my petticoat, and hoop skirts... then finally the dress, which has to be tight, otherwise what was the corset for... then final touches.

Because of this, I am nearly always the first person on site (I actually have a camper with a toy hauler trailer that has been converted into a dressing room for me and our other noble ladies.) and it takes me 3-6 hours to get dressed completely. Now, to be fair, we don't rush, I get breakfast after the corset is on (Don't eat breakfast first... it is a terrible idea.) etc... if we were just dressing, probably could do it in 2-3 hours depending on the complexity of the hair style we go with for that day.

Now I wear a diaper, so the bathroom problem does not come up a lot. (In fact, a lot of renfaire Queens, Princesses, and Duchess will wear during the day simply because it takes you 20 minutes, with help, to even get to the point where you can use the toilet, and a lot of fair sites have portapotties, which forget our dresses even fitting into.

Then comes the rest of the day. You will see me constantly eatting small things... because I am always hungry, but if I eat an actual meal, I will throw it right back up thanks to the corset. So small gnochie bits all day, constantly. On top of that, lots of water, but in small amounts because... I want to keep it in me. Strenuous activity, nope. Mostly walking around site, and sitting... about all I can actually do.

It was clothing meant to be pleasing to men, and literally restrict the women from doing much of anything. It was a way of controlling the most educated, and liberated, women of the world at the time. Peasants, sefs, and merchantile class women wore a very different style of clothing because they had work they had to do, and rarely had the education and liberation to question a lot of the going ons, and so had less reason to be physically restrained by their clothing.

I'm not a princess. I'm the Mathematical Advisor to Her Majesty the Queen TYVM ! :p

I like court and royal etiquette, but I've never felt like much of a princess. If I need a title in a scene like that, I typically use "Dame". I'm mostly into school play, so I'd much rather be a little school girl, and terms like that often feel out of place.

I do love Disney princess movies. I'll admit it >.> I get excited everytime a new one comes out.

Maxx said:
If being a little girl is part of your fantasy, don't you have to have some "suspension of disbelief"?

I do what I want >:I One of the things I like about little space is that I can stop thinking about how I should behave, and instead just follow my whims ^^;

Kinsy said:

Corsets scare me. I've always been curious about them, because I love the waist line, but the physical effects give me the jeebes. Your dedication to authenticity is impressive !

Zoish said:
I'm not a princess. I'm the Mathematical Advisor to Her Majesty the Queen TYVM ! :p

I like court and royal etiquette, but I've never felt like much of a princess. If I need a title in a scene like that, I typically use "Dame". I'm mostly into school play, so I'd much rather be a little school girl, and terms like that often feel out of place.

I do love Disney princess movies. I'll admit it >.> I get excited everytime a new one comes out.

I do what I want >:I One of the things I like about little space is that I can stop thinking about how I should behave, and instead just follow my whims ^^;

Corsets scare me. I've always been curious about them, because I love the waist line, but the physical effects give me the jeebes. Your dedication to authenticity is impressive !

Modern corsets with spring and wire boning are not as bad... but they also can not get the same shape... however not crushing your internal organs is probably a good thing. My favorite time and day of faire is the last day at closing, because I am take that corset off, then head to the nearest restaurant and FEAST!!!!

I use a corset or a foundation garment to the limits of my own comfort. Because I'm overweight and it helps me feel 'full' plus of course they're pretty. Layers of petticoats too. It's something that should make me blush. Skirts instead of pants, when I can get away with it, partly the feeling of fem. And they make diaper changes or spanking easier. All that leads up to the traditional or modern commercial image of princess dresses. and it's what men like to see. When I 'entertain a gentleman' ummm... the effect of petticoats ummmm... gives him the view of a flower in full bloom. And when I'm called Princess it has an undertone that he's giving control to me. Flattery actually.

I'm passionately against royalty in most every way it's expressed... but then there's those Special Moments....

I can see why you'd call "princess" an overused term. I certainly agree that it is on the internet. And if anybody other than my partner called me that, I'd feel very uncomfortable, and definitely think they're implying something negative. But when my partner calls me "princess", it makes me feel so special and cared for that it never even pops into my head that it could be negative.

I think that if I was into dressing feminine and I wanted to be a princess, I'd likely be a dark princess.

I'm trans, so i've never really experienced being brought up by girly terms of endearment, but i've always liked the term 'baby'. It's generic as an answer, i know, but it's a good, cute term to use, i think. Probably even better than princess.

It's either that, or 'honey'.

Personally, it makes me uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back