can corn starch replace baby powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicconch

Contributor
I mean just actual corn starch, not some kind of powder with it in it.

Dont know.....Might thinken up your diaper though

lol

Body powders usually have a different grade of fineness to them to get the right consistency. Baby powders appear to be ground a bit more coarse than say flour.

I ran across an ANCIENT small bottle of talc (it said "100% talc") and it was noticeably different, it was very fine by comparison with my regular powder, about equal in consistency with flour. It created more of a cloud when squeezed out, and I suspect that's one of the big reasons the grind it a little more coarse.

So, relaying that to corn starch, I think you'll have the same difference, with the body powder corn starch being a slightly coarser grind, and less messy to use than food grade corn starch.

Well, if my wife's parenting websites are to be trusted, you can indeed use cornstarch as a substitute for baby powder.

I try to avoid using powder much though, I find it really kills a diaper's ability to wick moisture if used too liberally. Nowadays I just slather on the diaper rash cream if I'm really worried :x

To the best of my knowledge from what my mother told me, She used corn starch instead of baby powder and it worked just as well.

Most of the baby powders on the market now are pure corn starch, so yes, it should work.

According to my J&J cornstarch with lavender bottle it 100% pure cornstarch.

oleman72 said:
According to my J&J cornstarch with lavender bottle it 100% pure cornstarch.

My point above though was they can differ in fineness of the grind of the powder, even if they're both 100% pure. And that will affect how it performs

I’ve worn diapers for years, decades. I enjoy being wet and often messy for 10,12,15 hours; sometimes longer and never use any powder. I don’t think it does anything to help and in fact causes greater skin irritation.

bambinod said:
My point above though was they can differ in fineness of the grind of the powder, even if they're both 100% pure. And that will affect how it performs
since Talc has been linked to ovarian cancer, corn starch replaced talc. i dont see any difference

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back