weather and stuff ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
so, apart from the media hype, what's the weather been like for you?

just as the cold front moved in at the end of Feb, the air was unsually dry and, knowing what was to come, i took the opportunity to take some photos of the night sky.
2018-03-02_22439 Large e-mail view.jpg

(no point posting the rest as they'd need to be hi-res. i used a Nikon D5100 with a cheapo Tamron lens)

alas, the dry air also triggered my sinuses, which then triggered a migraine, so the next few days weren't filled with childish glee at the blizzardy snowfall.
2018-03-02_21688 Large e-mail view.jpg

after a week of a foot-plus snow, which had compressed and turned to ice, mum decided that she wanted to go out, so i had to clear a path for her.
just my typical bad luck that once i'd done it and just as i turned from tapping the shovel clear, i crockled over on my ankle on a chunk of ice.
after [what seemed like] a month of limping with that, my good ankle went on me from the extra strain (shopping day the day before).... but while i was in bed and just having a bloody stretch! :wallbash:

and now, as the next cold front moves in, another migraine :sad:

not having been out much, i was bit surprised to see that we still have snow from last/this month, just over the road and on the hills, and we've got more forecast for this weekend.

DSC_0973 Large e-mail view.jpg
have another ice-spike; i can't remember if i've posted that one before. it's from December and i think we've had a few more since, but it'd take a bit of rummaging to find them.

[edit] it's only been a couple of weeks, but seems like much longer with being mostly stuck in the house.

Last edited:
We're about to have Northeaster # 3 or is it four? The Washington Post said we've had an increase in Nor'easterns because of the melting ice in the Arctic Circle. I wonder if that's effecting your weather as well?

Having just moved, this is my first experience with winter in Colorado. For the past few weeks, it has been… mostly sunny, highs varying randomly between the low 40's and low 60's (with outliers in both directions), lows varying randomly between the mid teens to mid 30's (all numbers expressed in °F) with outliers. It snows once in a while, but this winter, only a few inches fell at a time. And with the randomly varying temperatures, small amounts of snow disappear quickly (they actually sublimate noticeably, perhaps moreso even than they melt… a lump of dissipating snow on the road will usually have an oddly small ring of wet pavement surrounding it, and visible steam rising directly from it… the novelty hasn't worn off for me yet… ^^; ).

I'm told it has been a dry season, and that wildfires will be a forthcoming issue. I've… never dealt with those before… :eek!:

Last edited:
Sapphyre said:
I'm told it has been a dry season, and that wildfires will be a forthcoming issue. I've… never dealt with those before… :eek!:

They're not fun. They can cause smoke plumes stretching for miles. They do make for interesting sunsets.

dogboy said:
We're about to have Northeaster # 3 or is it four? <>

#4 Tuesday I think but too early to tell. If ya don't like the weather here in New England wait a minute they say.

Four days with out power over the three storms in the last two weeks says enuff, and then there is the plowing, downed tree clean up, lost work...

I'm supposed to be working this afternoon but we have snow on the ground and I'm near the coast and I've got to go to Wales via the A34 M4 then the Heads of the valleys road A470 which all get hit hard when it snows
P/s I'm driving a 44t semi as well

I don't envy you driving a semi. My son and his family were without electrical service for four days from our last big northeastern. I was without power for a day and a half. Fortunately I have a whole house generator.

My weather here in Knoxville Tennessee has been crazy all week. It snowed last week for no reason. We got about half an inch, but it quickly melted the next day. After that it was rainy and gross, but luckily it was beautiful for the weekend.

parcelboy2 said:
I've got to go to Wales....driving a 44t semi
don't say it's an auto-gearbox :sadno:

dogboy said:
I was without power for a day and a half. Fortunately I have a whole house generator.
i forgot to mention that i bought a new inverter. the old one (if anybody remembers) was only a modified sine wave, but at £35 from Maplin a few years ago, it was all i could justify buying. the new one, from Amazon, was only £5 more than that and it's pure sine wave, so it should do okay on the boiler, if we lose power. naturally, i did the whole price comparison thing beforehand and Maplin's version was over £120 (although, they have now dropped that down to £90.....and still they blame Brexit).
i took the plunge in the middle of the snowstorm, fearing that after a week of sub-zero temps (we were in minus double figures C - got the thermometer pics if you don't believe me :smile1:) the ice build-up on the power lines and the wind would cause havoc; apparently, the recorded windspeeds were 90mph, so you can bet that we touched 120 at points (not uncommon at the top of the hill). the worst caused the usual damage you expect at this of year, but my mam's mate lost her roof; and, obviously, no roofers could get out to fix anything. actually, i'm surprised at how quickly they got around to fixing roofs, this year; they usually take weeks or months to get around to it (perhaps it's because we were on the telly, so that the insurance companies couldn't argue?).

this last weekend's snow was about 4-5 inches, by my reckoning (hard to tell because of the wind. although, going by a neighbour's trampoline, with safety curtain, you'd say 6 inches). we had a big melt, today, but anywhere in the shade is still snowy and iced. our bins were emptied on Friday, so we had a nightime cacophony of windblown bins and, although i usually let ours go over, i try to make sure the lids are closed. failed, this time. not too bad on the empty one, but one other is half full.......and half full of snow.
i had to thaw out the boiler's condensate pipe, again, as that was blocked up with frozen snow. caught it just in time, this time, but we'll have to watch it when we get these easterlies.

some pics:
2016-09-13_9821 Large e-mail view.jpg

turn right at the next cloud. totally unconnected with the current weather, but just a neat pic of a broken plane that flew over our house.

2018-03-02_21248 Large e-mail view.jpg

i can understand how spikes and vases form (you can see if you look closely), but that's just an odd one.

P1260009 Large e-mail view.jpg

yeah, i'm on Amazon a lot..... probably too much.

2018-03-02_21032 Large e-mail view.jpg

and finally,

P3180034 Large e-mail view.jpg

a new letterbox bag! :yes:
remember the old one that i made? well. the dog savaged it, partly ripping out the letterbox, too.
anyway, i've done the modifications that i mentioned last time, along with softening the edges of the letterbox flap housing, as that's where the old bag began to rip once Harry had sussed out swinging from the bag. i started sewing it about a week ago, but got delayed by the migraine and got back to it on Saturday night (what else are you gonna do on a snowed-in Saturday night?). i fitted it on Sunday night (i was outside making strengthening plates and spacers, drilling and grinding, in the snow, at 23:00 :laugh:), thereby missing the big test of Sunday papers. ah, well.

there you go.

put it this way, in London we’ve had a white March this year. It snowed again last weekend, and it just finished melting this morning.

London and England's unusually cold and snowy weather made our national news in the U. S., so it must have been bad.

dogboy said:
London and England's unusually cold and snowy weather made our national news in the U. S., so it must have been bad.

well, you know, not 'unusual' and not that 'bad: more 'normal' than owt.
like i said, 'apart from the media hype'. my sister, in Spain, also had only that to go off, along with the Facebook junk by people who've gone off what the media said. i whatsapped her some photos from the preceeding years, all of around the same date, and she just went ' normal, then?'
there was a similar hysteria two years ago, in the early March, with wild reports of 'deep' snow and, as we tend to get the worst of whatever comes, i posted her a photo of the depth:
IMG_20160304_124222.jpg

you can tell by the fluffiness that that's from a westerly (our prevailing wind). the last 'bad' easterly we had was around 26 March 2013 and that was worse than this year's:
P26-03-13_13-22[3] Standard e-mail view.jpg

anyway, there's still a month and a half of winter to go, so we'll see what else comes (they've already forecasted snow for next week, but they change that on a daily basis).

another thing that i forgot to mention was that i cobbled together a 'canopy' for my bed, from the leftover cladding from the bathroom revamp.
i had been plagued by neckache (which then turned into migraines) as soon as the temperatures began to drop, around September, and a drawn-out process of elimination led me to the draught from my bedroom window. at least that's one trigger sorted out; and it is quite nice to not be woken by a migraine.

my niece has so far spent her first full winter over here and it kind of shows how folk from warmer climes aren't atuned to the colder weather that it gives us a giggle. she exclaimed a while back about that she was having nosebleeds and pains in her nose, and was worried enough to think of going to the doctors; "it's called winter" we told her, laughing.

I'd call that a lot of snow? We got 3" of snow today in central Virginia. My choir was supposed to sing in a community Lenten service, but it got cancelled. It doesn't take a lot of snow to cancel everything in the South. Part of the problem is the hills and small mountains.

Here in south-western Germany, we don't even know what's happening. Snow in march? What are you doing, weather? I mean, sure, in the higher regions snow is pretty normal for this time of year, but the weather forecast tells us there might be a white easter this year in my city, which is crazy. Our trains don't cope with this, folks! Also, we've already had weather around 17 Degree Celsius this year (no idea what that's in Farenheit, but it's pretty warm), so now all the plants are confused as well.

Well, hopefully the weather should be improving within the next week or so. It’s getting slightly warmer over hear, we had a little sun this week, not enough to make a difference, but you get the idea.

Here in Finland it’s snowing. We have about 80cm=31inches of snow already. I love snow, it’s beautiful and since I live in a flat, not a detached house, snow doesn’t mean extra exercise for me:)

It’s not cold at all, only -6celcius=43F.

Lumi said:
It’s not cold at all, only -6celcius=43F.

-6°C = 21.2°F, but still not very cold. ^.^ It's about 60°F ( = 15.6°C) here today. I actually kind of miss precipitation…

From icebox to hotbox: mid-twenties here, yesterday, and the same forecast for today.
Was only last week or the week before that we had overnights of minus 5C?
Mind you, we've got daffodils flowering in our backyard (that's a first for a long time), so something's going right.

The other night, it was 17C overnight, but the heat hadn't then got into everything. Tonight it's only 5C, but upstairs is like a sauna.

Aided by the warmth, I'm finally making headway with tiling the kitchen windowsill. Just got a couple of tiles to trim, grouting and the final pvc trim to put on.

Rain all next week, they say.

Quick forecast update, on edit:
Still rain all next week, but starting tomorrow. Temperatures lower today (we've got 9C) and onward.
And this at 11:20, not 10:20 as it says below.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back