Quick question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MixerOp

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I couldn't find a post about this... What is a hybrid diaper?

hmmmmm, don't know

probably referring to a diaper with a shell that's part plastic, part cloth-like.

Those usually have a plastic middle area, and clothlike "wings" that wrap around the sides of the hips. Most pull-ups are completely clothlike, but there are a few hybrids of those too.

The clothlike sides help allow your skin to breathe on your hips. (otherwise your skin may get sweaty, itchy, or tend to get pimples - mine does!)

Manufacturing techniques have improved over the years - the first clothlike shells had a high rate of defect that resulted in "pinhole leaks" when wet, so a lot of people just don't trust clothlike shells, but are still looking for the benefits of clothlike wings. (and you can't use plastic for the wings on a pullup) So they prefer hybrid diapers.

There's no actual "cloth" in the "clothlike" though. It's usually a finely woven plastic material, a bit like a furnace filter, that blocks some things (water or dust) while letting air pass through.

A lot of us prefer the soft, smooth feel of plastic on our diapers, that's what we remember from when we were little.

Some of the hybrid taped diapers use velcro instead of adhesive on their tapes. (tykables and bambino do this) The "tape panel" on the front then uses a fine loop material so it also has a clothlike feel to it, although the rest of the shell is still the soft, smooth plastic.

(I've also found that clothlike wings on taped diapers tend to stretch out if worn for several hours, and require a tape adjustment)

So does the Bambino Magnifico Ultra have plastic in the center and fabric side? What others are like this?

MixerOp said:
So does the Bambino Magnifico Ultra have plastic in the center and fabric side? What others are like this?

Yes. Those are the only two I know of currently in production. (the current versions of the Bambino Magnifico and Tykables Overnights)

Both are very comfortable and are good performers. (high capacity, no leaks)

I also consider ABU Preschool Clothlike to be a hybrid since they have a sticky tape system rather than a hook and loop (kinda the inverse of Bambino UltraStretch/Magnifico.)

My opinion is any diaper that doesn’t fall into the older ‘crinkly plastic backed with tapes’ or ‘cloth like with hook and loop’ but has features from both categories is a hybrid.

When the craze of cloth like backing appeared for Babies diapers I remember lots of smaller makers moved to a hybrid model of cloth like with their shiny taping panel and sticky tabs.

I remember when clothlike disposables were first made. They were referred to as hybrid diapers. Disposable, yet also cloth.

All clothlike diapers use a plastic strip down the center of the diaper. The sides are also all breathable (and leakable).

Tena, the new molicares, lille all have no plastic in them

MixerOp said:
I couldn't find a post about this... What is a hybrid diaper?

Try Plastic and Cloth together as one, as that's all I can really come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back