Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home brewing

soren456

Default Home brewing

I want to learn home brewing of beer.

I will turn 21 on July 1, so then it will be legal.

(As if . . . . )

Anyone here brew at home? Any advice? Recipes?

Should we start a social group here?

wow! a topic on home brewing! how cool is that!

so far my friend and i have brewed three batches together. i have a five-gallon bucket of dunkelweissen bubbling away in the corner of my apartment as i write these words. if you do it right the beer is insanely delicious -- as good as any top-quality microbrew -- and it comes out to around $1 a bottle. and best of all it's a fun activity, and all your friends will adore you when you give them bottles of your homemade beer!

we did our first batch out of a kit: you can get a can that contains the concentrated barley malt already extracted and combined with the hops. once you've learned the ropes it's fun to actually steep the cracked barley in a big simmering pot to extract the malt, and add the bittering and flavoring hops by hand.

you can buy all the equipment you'll need from a brew shop. a bucket is the main thing; it makes things way way easier if it has a spigot at the bottom so that you don't have to syphon. there needs to be a hole in the lid and an airlock to fit in the hole so gasses can escape while the beer ferments. get a thermometer if you don't already have one, and you'll probably want a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity and determine alcohol content. make sure you have a big soup pot that can hold several gallons. last but not least, tell everyone you know to start saving their empty beer bottles. we borrowed a bottlecapper from a friend, but if you don't know anyone who brews you'll have to buy one of those too.

have fun brewing beer, and feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions!
    Last edited by avery; 02-May-2009 at 19:00.

DominatingMommy

I don't have any tips for home brewing, but I have a recipe for home made wine. If you'd like that, let me know.

Darkfinn

I dabbled a bit in home-brewing several years ago. It was fun but was a lot of work.

The main trouble we had was finding bottles to put the stuff in... nowhere around here sells new beer bottles in anything less than a pallet size. We didn't need 1000, just like 100.

Quote Originally Posted by soren456 View Post
    I want to learn home brewing of beer.

I will turn 21 on July 1, so then it will be legal.

(As if . . . . )

Anyone here brew at home? Any advice? Recipes?

Should we start a social group here?
    I haven't, but one of my brothers did for a while. Be prepared to toss out a batch or two before you get it right. He eventually made some good beer.

I love your brand name Avery. I have not brewed, but I have friends who do. These are church member friends...haha. Anyway, Avery, I wondered if your place smells like a brewry, so to speak. Is there a certain smell factor while you are cooking?

I haven't yet done proper home brewing but I have used one of those incredibly simple kits - basically adding water and waiting, which probably isn't a bad place to start. Even with the aforementioned incredible simplicity I did manage to bugger up the first batch though (well, one of my housemates did) by moving it when it was brewing, which isn't the done thing apparently. The end result was rather unpleasant to say the least. The second batch was quite nice though, I added a few spices and whatnot to the mix and it turned out to be perfectly quaffable. A third is on the go at the moment.

Form my limited experience it is definitely good fun and a cool novelty to produce your own beer and I'm going to look into doing it properly in the summer. Good fortunate on your endeavors, Soren.

Jaidenwherethefuckhaveyoubeen!

I know nothing about brewing beer at home. >,> It might be a task for the future!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I love your brand name Avery. I have not brewed, but I have friends who do. These are church member friends...haha. Anyway, Avery, I wondered if your place smells like a brewry, so to speak. Is there a certain smell factor while you are cooking?
    you can definitely smell it after we've been brewing or bottling, but it's a pleasant grainy, yeasty smell, not unlike homemade bread, and it's usually gone by the next morning. it doesn't smell much while the yeast is fermenting, at least not that i can detect. maybe someone who'd never been in my apartment before would detect a spicy barley smell. i guess that's a good thing: it helps camouflage the aroma of baby powder.

Darkfinn

Ah the smell of beer... and diapers.

Talk about a contrast.