Thread: A Story (relevant to recent events)

Default A Story (relevant to recent events)

Before I start:

- This is not in reply to any one person who is leaving, just the general idea that if the site had stayed identical to tbdl, it would be much better.

Now that that's out of the way:

So many members have been leaving lately. This is not out of the blue. Many of these members have been complaining that the site is too big, too unlike tbdl for them. However, in my experience, forums either grow or die. Staying the same is not an option.

Many of you who've read my posts will know that I ran a forum for about 2 years. This forum started out similarily to TBDL. A close group of users from another forum created their own. The forum was a fan site, in this case. Over the first few months, we got 1 or 2 new members each month that stayed. Eventually, we exhausted the on topic conversations, and all the interesting posts moved to off topic. They quickly joined the community. However about 6 months in, something happened to increase our new users significantly, similar to when TBDL became ADISC.

The old guard weren't happy with this, their forum being invaded by all these new members repeating the same old topics over and over again. They scared off lots of the new members and were generally hostile to them. Does this sound familiar?

Then the influx of members stopped, and the story goes down the opposite path to that travelled by ADISC. So we were back at square one. A (slightly larger) group of people where everyone knew each other. We had 30 very active members, (30000 posts). Everything sailed along fine for the next three or four months, until some of the members started feeling bored of the site. However, a few people did have minor arguments, usually sorted out. There was the general consensus however, that the forum was going downhill. A few members started to leave.

Then, the final blow to the site. One of the mods and one of the more prominent users had a major argument, then flame wars in most of the threads. We banned both members for a week, and told them to cool off. The mod had obviously lost his mod status when he came back. However, both members felt treated unfairly. The both went off and created their own sites. So the three sites, the original with about 14 of the members, the former mods with about 5, and the other user's with about 7 now existed. However none of them had enough members to keep going and all three fell into inactivity.

I've seen this once or twice on other forums I've been on (I'm a big internet user, and a big fan of small forums usually), and loads of times in a forum for forum admins where users get bored of the site, start fighting with each other and leave.

So basically, the point of this story is that:
    The same users + lots and lots of contact + time = fights.
    Same as in RL really.

Fights + Same users = splits in community
    People pick sides.

Splits + Small community = End of community

IMO, if TBDL had stopped growing, the original members would have either gotten bored and left, or started to fight.

Instead they're joined together by complaining about the forum being too big.
    Last edited by Hex; 02-May-2009 at 12:12. Reason: Reverted to default font for readability

But we liked new members... most veterans are just sad that they aren't allowed to bitch at the dodgy newer ones... We still wanted new members, we just wanted to put them through quality control and purgatory :p

I don't mind if a forum dies out if it's gone stagnant... It's kind of good that TBDL.org lost all it's data... It gave ADISC a fresh start. And ADISC is good as ADISC

<<I also have a story, It's in the Story forum and no one gives a f*** about it 'cause it's not erotica... It's called Knowledge is Forbidden Fruit and it hasn't even gotten comments... >>

I blame the Swine Flu.

Also, nobody cares about your story because it's not been widely read yet. It was posted yesterday in the midst of this. I myself put more time and attention into a cluster of "I'm leaving" posts than any story. I suspect that others may follow suit, OR may not want to read a wall-of-text at that particular time (Friday for most folks).

Quote Originally Posted by Mysika View Post
    But we liked new members... most veterans are just sad that they aren't allowed to bitch at the dodgy newer ones... We still wanted new members, we just wanted to put them through quality control and purgatory :p
    Oh I been trying to get that for sometime, even I was surprised when I was never questioned about the background of my story/past.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I blame the Swine Flu.

Also, nobody cares about your story because it's not been widely read yet. It was posted yesterday in the midst of this. I myself put more time and attention into a cluster of "I'm leaving" posts than any story. I suspect that others may follow suit, OR may not want to read a wall-of-text at that particular time (Friday for most folks).
    Are you sure this is in the right thread? This thread was started 4 hours ago, when it was clearly Saturday for everyone on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Are you sure this is in the right thread? This thread was started 4 hours ago, when it was clearly Saturday for everyone on this forum!
    That one puzzled me aswell, but I think he's referring to Mysika's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    That one puzzled me aswell, but I think he's referring to Mysika's story.
    Yep; I'm referring to Mysika's story, posted yesterday. The point I'm making is that (1) it's too early to comment definitively that no one cares for the story "because it's not erotica" and (2) reading stories may not be at the forefront of members' minds right now.

I agree with what you are saying dreammaker. I had a similar experience with my forum, which only had about 4 members (we were all friends in real life back then). I'ts basically the same with you, each member got pissed at each other, and created their own forums/sites. It escalated into taking over each other's websites however, and the horrible deaths of all of them.

Well, if ADISC/TBDL does go down, it'll go down as one of the best damn internet communities I've ever been a part of (pretty much the only internet community I've ever been a part of).

My story was out before all the stupid drama... And it still hasn't been touched when countless Erotica stories have... So don't give me that crap... Besides... it was a side comment so make this about ricky and not about me