Original Song:

“This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman,” Benj Pasek, Justin Paul

Makeup and Hair:

“Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski, Lucy Sibbick

Costume Design:

“Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran

Visual Effects:

“Blade Runner 2049,” John Nelson, Paul Lambert, Richard R. Hoover, Gerd Nefzer

I like movies both to watch and as a medium for storytelling. Despite that, I've found myself less interested in the Academy Awards year by year. I generally take a look at the nominations just to see if there's anything else I should be watching but I can't get interested in the horse race the way I used to. Maybe I'm just old and grumpy.

Maxx said:
...and thanky-sai.

Have you been reading or watching The Dark Tower series?

Anyway, my wife and I love all sorts of movies. We watch at least one a week. Having said that, we always vow to watch as many nominated movies as possible once they're announced. We didn't get a chance to watch any this year. We may still watch as we like all the glitz and glimmer.

Shhh! We're watching. Sandra Bullock -:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Ravensteel!

Ravensteel, I wasn't paying attention and missed the fact that Martin McDonagh wasn't nominated for director. The academy almost always teams best picture with it's director unless you are Spielberg.

Overall I'd say I'm fairly happy with how the Oscar turned out. I still greatly disagree with shape of water winning best picture. It was a great film all around, but it's competition was too stiff. Baby driver really should have one sound mixing and sound editing too, the entire movie revolves around its soundtrack for God's sake!

The Oscars is pretty much my Super Bowl. I look forward to it every year. Unfortunately every year the academy seems to vote more and more towards films with political motivations instead of overall quality. Now I understand that quality is highly subjective, but it always strikes me as odd when the Oscars have to try to be different then the Golden Globes or the bafta.

Doesn't Rotten Tomatoes give a worst movie award? I wonder which movie won that. They're a lot more fun. I was glad to see Jordan Peele win original screenplay and Call Me By Your Name win best adaptation.

wow, people ACTUALLY care about the oscars? Let alone actually watch it??

On a side note, I read the dark tower series a few years ago- love it. Watched the movie recently- hated it.

dogboy said:
Doesn't Rotten Tomatoes give a worst movie award? I wonder which movie won that. They're a lot more fun. I was glad to see Jordan Peele win original screenplay and Call Me By Your Name win best adaptation.

Agree completely for both! I was going to be very disappointed if get out wasn't recognized for the great film that it was. Plus it was nice to see call me by your name get some recognition.

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
wow, people ACTUALLY care about the oscars? Let alone actually watch it??

On a side note, I read the dark tower series a few years ago- love it. Watched the movie recently- hated it.

Indeed lots and lots of people do! The Oscars are the most highly-regarded award ceremony for modern Cinema. As I said for me, it is essentially my version of The Super Bowl. Now I could care less about the actual Superbowl or Sports in general, nor do I understand the appeal, but I recognize that we all have different tastes and things that interest us. Mine happens to be movies, of course the Oscars would be of great interest to me.

I'm not surprised that it got the lowest ratings in Oscars history.

AnimeDude892 said:
I'm not surprised that it got the lowest ratings in Oscars history.

For what reason may I ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back