ABDL companies that accept FSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
bambinod said:
You can probably get a note from a psychiatrist but your insurance company may not accept it as a justification for reimbursing you for expenses. You need to read over your insurance policy and see what's covered. They have NO legal requirement to provide any coverage for anything - the level of coverage you get is exclusively determined by your policy with them.

As an example, some insurance companies cover the cost of contraceptives, in part or in whole. Others cover (or partially cover) things like vasectomies. "Mental health" coverage isn't very consistent though from one policy to the next. They may cover the cost of a visit to the psychiatrist but not provide any coverage for "comfort items", even if your shrink deems them necessary to your mental health. Also, diapers may be covered if you have a doctor's note, but not if all you have is a note from your shrink. You have to have a covered item and a covered reason.

Read your policy. If still in doubt, give them a call and ask for clarification.

Again, you keep speaking about reimbursements and coverages and that's completely different than what an FSA is and what it can be used for. My insurance company does not cover diapers with or without a Dr's note, prescription or otherwise and I am not reimbursed for the cost of my diapers.

You also mentioned contraceptives and yes, while some insurance companies do not cover the cost of contraceptives such as condoms, birth control pills and even a vasectomy (I work for a Catholic non-profit and they do not cover these things) you can (and I have) paid for each these using my FSA. You are still paying for these things out of pocket, you're just not being taxed on them.

I keep harping on this because I have confirmed it several times with my insurance provider that adult diapers are no different than bandaids when it comes to being an FSA approved product. If they required you to prove that you had a medical need then that's one thing but they don't so I'm not defrauding anyone. It would be completely different if they did require a Dr's note to use your FSA to purchase them and I went to my Dr and lied about it in order to obtain a note. That's fraud but that is not the case here and I have no problem using my FSA to purchase FSA approved products through FSA approved vendors.

If I am ever audited and the auditor asks me if I have a medical need for diapers, I will happily tell them that I do not and I purchased them because they were on the list of approved FSA items. If they tell me that they in fact are not, I will be happy to pay back all the taxes on the diapers I've purchased over the years (without any issues) with my FSA.

To go back to an earlier point made in this thread: A sexual fetish can technically be considered a mental disorder if it causes significant psychosocial distress for the person or has detrimental effects on important areas of their life and since the act of wearing diapers can certainly help fetishists "relieve" the effects of our particular affliction, I'd say that qualifies under the IRS definition.

Let me tell you the things I've purchased with my fsa over the years.
Diapers
Catheters
Cpap supplies
Comfort items for my cpap (hose cover, a hose hook that holds the hose above my head so it doesn't get tangled)
Blood pressure machines
Doctors office co-pays
Eyeglasses
All my prescriptions
Vinyl gloves

Things I have not used it for, but could...
membership to the YMCA for the purpose of fitness (yes, if your doctor writes you a statement of medical need, a gym membership is covered) - my doctor would have wrote it without blinking.

The list for the FSA eligible expenses is NOT something your insurance company gets to alter, it is set by the IRS as to what is covered.

The administrator is not going to see a receipt for adult diapers and go "I bet this guy gets his jollies off wearing diapers". No, they are going to see "adult diapers, bet they need them"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Michelle002
Bokeh said:
Again, you keep speaking about reimbursements and coverages and that's completely different than what an FSA is and what it can be used for. My insurance company does not cover diapers with or without a Dr's note, prescription or otherwise and I am not reimbursed for the cost of my diapers.

You also mentioned contraceptives and yes, while some insurance companies do not cover the cost of contraceptives such as condoms, birth control pills and even a vasectomy (I work for a Catholic non-profit and they do not cover these things) you can (and I have) paid for each these using my FSA. You are still paying for these things out of pocket, you're just not being taxed on them.

I keep harping on this because I have confirmed it several times with my insurance provider that adult diapers are no different than bandaids when it comes to being an FSA approved product. If they required you to prove that you had a medical need then that's one thing but they don't so I'm not defrauding anyone. It would be completely different if they did require a Dr's note to use your FSA to purchase them and I went to my Dr and lied about it in order to obtain a note. That's fraud but that is not the case here and I have no problem using my FSA to purchase FSA approved products through FSA approved vendors.

If I am ever audited and the auditor asks me if I have a medical need for diapers, I will happily tell them that I do not and I purchased them because they were on the list of approved FSA items. If they tell me that they in fact are not, I will be happy to pay back all the taxes on the diapers I've purchased over the years (without any issues) with my FSA.

Yes! This has been my point all along. Looking directly at the FSA and IRS web sites, they simply do not require any proof of need (physical or mental) to purchase FSA eligible items. Regardless of what any one person may "believe".

This has absolutely nothing to do with insurance, and are automatically eligible for purchase- without any need for explanation. It simply isn't fraud to not have a reason for the purchase, simply because they don't ask for proof of your resoning in the firrst place. And oh look, adult diapers are already considered an eligible purchase.

Bokeh said:
Is there a list of ABDL companies that accept FSA for payment? I know that most incontinence supply stores accept them such as XP Medical or Northshore Care but are there any ABDL companies that accept FSA?

Has anyone here used their FSA successfully at any ABDL companies like ABUniverse, Bambino, Tykables...etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. Not a single one. I get disability and medicaid and I will everyday for the rest of my life.

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

Bokeh said:
If they required you to prove that you had a medical need then that's one thing but they don't so I'm not defrauding anyone.

I think you are missing something here. They do. IRS publication 502 states "You can't include in medical expenses the amount you pay for diapers or diaper services, unless they are needed to relieve the effects of a particular disease." If the company that manages your FSA doesn't bother to ask you for a doctor's note showing you need diapers because you have a particular disease then they are not doing their due diligence. Paying for diapers through an FSA is similar to claiming them as medical expenses on your taxes. Either way, you are committing fraud if you don't actually have a medical diagnosis.

Reactions: perlFerret
Spaz said:
IRS publication 502 states

What IRS publication 502 states is that it's about items you are deducting on your 1040 Schedule A. It is not the least bit relevant to the discussion about FSAs.

What you're looking for is section 213(d) of the tax code. This section does not specifically address incontinence products (which, remember, is what most of the US calls adult diapers), although it does disclaim "diaper services." As has been pointed out previously, this is a reference to diapers as used by infants, which are not considered a legitimate medical expense.

In a 2009 letter, the IRS writes, "Items that have no purpose other than to treat a disease, illness, or mental or physical defect may qualify as medical care. Thus, treatments for acne, incontinence, arthritis, constipation, colds and sinus problems, dehydration, and indigestion, and support braces and shoe inserts for injured or weakened body parts, most likely will qualify as medical care under § 213(d)."

As the letter notes, it is not a ruling. However, I think it illustrates the IRS' position on FSAs and adult diapers very clearly.

My diapers definitely treat dehydration, so I'm qualified. Anybody ever drink less water after putting on a thick warm diaper? If so, I'm sure you qualify as truly incontinent because most of us are enjoying them more by drinking increased fluids.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Spaz said:
I think you are missing something here. They do. IRS publication 502 states "You can't include in medical expenses the amount you pay for diapers or diaper services, unless they are needed to relieve the effects of a particular disease." If the company that manages your FSA doesn't bother to ask you for a doctor's note showing you need diapers because you have a particular disease then they are not doing their due diligence. Paying for diapers through an FSA is similar to claiming them as medical expenses on your taxes. Either way, you are committing fraud if you don't actually have a medical diagnosis.

Check again spaz. Nothing about this says you need to PROOVE it with a doctors note/prescription, only that it's a legitimate expense. Which as I stated before IT IS when purchased for a dl (see the irs quote below). We already established this, and the part you keep missing is it DOES NOT REQUIRE A PRESCRIPTION OR PROOF TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR PURCHASE.

"Medical care expenses must be primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental disability or illness. They don't include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation"

ltaluv said:
What IRS publication 502 states is that it's about items you are deducting on your 1040 Schedule A. It is not the least bit relevant to the discussion about FSAs.

Not true. Unless it has changed for 2017, Publication 969 refers to the IRS rules regarding various health savings accounts. In the section on FSA's it specifically states, "Qualified medical expenses are those specified in the plan that generally would qualify for the medical and dental expenses deduction. These are explained in Pub. 502."

You can find pub 502 here, which I previously quoted.

Slomo said:
Nothing about this says you need to PROOVE it with a doctors note/prescription, only that it's a legitimate expense. Which as I stated before IT IS when purchased for a dl

It is not a legitimate expense unless you have a particular disease that necessitates purchasing them. Look that's what my CPA and three separate FSA account managers have told me and also what the IRS says. I have had to give FSA companies and my CPA doctors notes demonstrating a medical need for diapers to qualify for a tax benefit.

I'll say it again, if you have no medical need for diapers, you can't purchase them using an FSA. If you do you are committing tax fraud (albeit minor) and potentially putting a tax benefit at risk to those of us who have to fucking wear diapers! So please, stop it!

Reactions: perlFerret
Again, the rules are the same. The rules don't say you need a letter or prescription (unless the plan requires it), but the rules are clear. Diapers are specifically called out and must be medically necessary. It matters not what other items may or may not be covered. The tax code is clear on this. Diapers must be due to a post-infancy medical condition.

Spaz said:
Not true. Unless it has changed for 2017, Publication 969 refers to the IRS rules regarding various health savings accounts. In the section on FSA's it specifically states, "Qualified medical expenses are those specified in the plan that generally would qualify for the medical and dental expenses deduction. These are explained in Pub. 502."

You can find pub 502 here, which I previously quoted.

It is not a legitimate expense unless you have a particular disease that necessitates purchasing them. Look that's what my CPA and three separate FSA account managers have told me and also what the IRS says. I have had to give FSA companies and my CPA doctors notes demonstrating a medical need for diapers to qualify for a tax benefit.

I'll say it again, if you have no medical need for diapers, you can't purchase them using an FSA. If you do you are committing tax fraud (albeit minor) and potentially putting a tax benefit at risk to those of us who have to fucking wear diapers! So please, stop it!

The problem you are getting hung up on, is by the IRS definition you're going by, a simple cut is also considered a "disease". There is a legitimate need for band-aids, yet by what you're going by you'd still need a prescription to buy those too. It's ridiculous to think that, especially given you can buy them online by simply adding them to your cart and paying for them- exactly the same anyone can do with adult diapers too.

And this is yet something else we have already been over. Medical needs include both physical and psychological. ABDL is a recognized mental "disorder" also known by the psychologists as paraphilic infantilism. The need for diaper in order to calm down and fulfill the needs of an ABDL is... you guessed it. Diapers. Which as the medical community (and ours) has already well established is a legitimate and true need- one of which is no less important than a physical need.

This simply isn't fraud, it's the truth. To quote you, "those of us who have to fucking wear diapers". See, your own words "have to". And for good reason. Which for the record, it isn't a tax benefit to need diapers. ABDL or not.

Bokeh said:
Is there a list of ABDL companies that accept FSA for payment? I know that most incontinence supply stores accept them such as XP Medical or Northshore Care but are there any ABDL companies that accept FSA?

Has anyone here used their FSA successfully at any ABDL companies like ABUniverse, Bambino, Tykables...etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was a bed wetter at the age of 3. My father was very gentle. He changed my sheets.

I began stealing diapers from
my day care diaper supply for those of us who were still
incontinent. I began to sneak whiffs of the diaper pails.

By the age of seven, frustrated by my lack of access to real diapers. I finally became adept at constructing my own. I used clean white plastic backs.
I would use stuffing out my favorite stuffed animal. Then I would staple the sides together.

I was shamed by my parents. I am now 43 years old. I have never quit diapers. ABDL is a part of my identity. I will forever be an ABDL.

My three favorite diapers are ABU space, Tykable Overnights, and Super dry kids.

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back