How do you guys put on a diaper by yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now do it the Bambinod method per tape it and then slide into it and you wont find a better consistent fit.

It takes some practice to get it right like others have said. I can't do it these days because of my spinal issues, I can no longer bend. But for almost 12 years after I grew out of Goodnites and before I lost that ability I was doing it myself. My usual method is to find a relatively flat wall/door/surface, line the back of the diaper up with roughly where I want it to be on my back, hold it in place with my back on the surface, and then bend down to grab the front, pulling it up between my legs and positioning accordingly. I then make adjustments to the positioning on my back, relying on my legs to hold the diaper in place, and grab the top tape on the right side, and tape it in place, followed by the bottom one, and if there is a third I tend to do the middle one last. I then move off of the wall to allow for a fully tightened diaper and pull the top left tape into place, then the bottom, and the middle as previously.

Once finished one should have a relatively well taped diaper. Hope that helps!

sloth said:
depends...
Giggles :)

Standing up. I use enough boosters that I can hold it, easily, between my thighs while adjusting. Of course with poly-backs I lay down. Hard to get it right the first time while standing.

I have a question. I find the top front of the Betterdry disposable too long, and as as such cut off the top 30mm which includes the "elastic" front section. This means I always attach the top tapes on the padded part and not on the unpadded part of the nappy. I don't suffer from leaks as a result but sometimes a top tape will come adrift. Has anyone any experience on this phenomenon? I take a large and always use a booster, and find the fit ideal.

I'll either lean against a wall and use my butt to hold it in place while I go to work on the tapes. Or I lay down. Laying down is easier once you figure the whole thing out.

ARBO said:
I have a question. I find the top front of the Betterdry disposable too long, and as as such cut off the top 30mm which includes the "elastic" front section. This means I always attach the top tapes on the padded part and not on the unpadded part of the nappy. I don't suffer from leaks as a result but sometimes a top tape will come adrift. Has anyone any experience on this phenomenon? I take a large and always use a booster, and find the fit ideal.

You shouldn't be needing to modify any diaper. If it doesn't fit right, then get a size that does.

Though please elaborate by what you mean with "too long". The top front of the diaper should be extending up to your waist line. This about where your belly button is. If they are too long and extend up to your chest, then you just need to go down one size- not modify them.

ARBO said:
I don't suffer from leaks as a result but sometimes a top tape will come adrift. Has anyone any experience on this phenomenon?

Unfortunately I think betterdry has a materials compatibility issue with their tapes and shell. I've had almost nonstop problems with "tape slip". You're calling it "tape drift" and I suppose that term fits it well also. It's not a pop... I'll notice my diaper is fitting loose and will nip off to the restroom to see if I had a pop or a tear, and nope... the tape just moved an inch or more back. It's still stuck down well so I can't just pull it up and move it. Makes me question whether I just totally got the taping wrong or not. I have to pull the white tape up and tape that back down where the blue one used to be. But the wite tapes seem to be even more prone to slip. (and occasionally those WILL pop)

So I don't trust them for daytime wear. Which was kinda disappointing because I just ordered a case recently to wear since I was running out of preschool plastic and they hadn't restocked large yet. :(

They seem to be stable enough for overnight though.

I put on in the bathroom while holding the diaper to the wall with my bum

So far the "tape drift" problem has been very consistent for me, close to 100% of the crinklz I've tried have drifted one or both lower tapes within a few ours of wearing during the day. I was thinking of maybe using some rubbing alcohol on the front panel before laying down those tapes and see if that makes them stay put. It could be a matter of there being some residue or powder-like coating on the front panel. I know I am not contaminating the front but it may already be there fresh out of the bag.

bambinod said:
So far the "tape drift" problem has been very consistent for me, close to 100% of the crinklz I've tried have drifted one or both lower tapes within a few ours of wearing during the day. I was thinking of maybe using some rubbing alcohol on the front panel before laying down those tapes and see if that makes them stay put. It could be a matter of there being some residue or powder-like coating on the front panel. I know I am not contaminating the front but it may already be there fresh out of the bag.

I can rule that out. I've made sure the plastic remains free from dust or even the natural oil on my hands. Rubbing them on to ensure a good contact does help, but I still get loose tapes nearly half of the time.

My method of late is to just add a diaper pin to the tapes right from the start. This reduces the tape slippage down to under 1 in 10, but when the tape does come loose the pin seems to like tearing the plastic along with it. Adding extra tape is probably better for now, at least till the tapes get put back to the way they were.

Slomo said:
I can rule that out. I've made sure the plastic remains free from dust or even the natural oil on my hands.

That's why I am oging to try some alcohol, to see if they are contaminated from the factory and through no fault of my own.

Betterdry large. I have been having problems with tapes slipping and coming away within the past 3 months, never had it before, so it isn’t of my doing. Let’s hope someone at Betterdry is reading this. Unfortunately adding tape is not always successful as gaffer tape does not stick well to plastic.

ARBO said:
Betterdry large. I have been having problems with tapes slipping and coming away within the past 3 months, never had it before, so it isn’t of my doing. Let’s hope someone at Betterdry is reading this. Unfortunately adding tape is not always successful as gaffer tape does not stick well to plastic.

In my experience, duct tape often works well to re-attach and reinforce tapes. But something about betterdry/crinklz defeats even duct tape after a short while, and I'm guessing that's why their tapes have problems too.

Not sure if there's some contamination (fine powder from manufacturing?), a problem with the texture of the plastic in the shell, the composition, or maybe something to do with the amount of stretch the plastic has. But there's definitely something about that shell that is preventing adhesives from sticking well to it, diaper tapes or otherwise.

ARBO said:

Make sure you tell the company you got them from about the defective tape. The more people who officially complain, the more likely the problem will be fixed.

Lay down on it on the floor, do the legs first, then the waist.

I'm a little late to this one.

I mostly tape up and put myself into a diaper lying down, it's just easier and more babyish for me. I'll try to plop my bottom down in the right place and then I'll lift the front up and over a few times to make sure I have the right positioning. If I don't have the right positioning, I'll slide a little bit forward or a little bit back and continuing pulling the front up and over until it feels right, nice and in place.

Occasionally, I'll use a mirror to size up and see if the diaper is where it should be. I'll do this if I'm having trouble getting the gathers tight to my inner thigh or the rear area nice and snug.

I put my disposables on standing up and leaning against a wall. This not only makes for the snuggest overall fit with less leaks, but my member gets in the ideal position, which is resting gently at a downward/forward angle. This makes for a much more comfortable fit than straight down, and much less leaks than straight up, instead directing my urine flow right to the front/middle of the diaper where leaks are less likely and my diaper bulges out very nicely.

The new Tykables make the process a non issue because you can refasten the tapes many times without losing adhesiveness.

One discreet way is to place the diaper inside underpants (briefs/Jockey shorts), obviously checking it is the right way round, pull up the underpants, then adjust and fasten the diaper. Then, if you want, take off the underpants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back