Re-usable nappies/diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestrel

Contributor
Role
Bit of an environmental plea. How about using re-usable nappies instead of disposable ones? There are some really good ones out there. Just got some from LukLoy.

Did you know if the first disposable nappy had gone into landfill in the 1500s it still wouldn't have degraded by now?!

We have a choice here.

Kestrel said:
Bit of an environmental plea. How about using re-usable nappies instead of disposable ones? There are some really good ones out there. Just got some from LukLoy.

Did you know if the first disposable nappy had gone into landfill in the 1500s it still wouldn't have degraded by now?!

We have a choice here.

Because cotton stips the land of nutrients and water. The industry and trucking needed to support it is not good for our environment, nor is using up our aquifers. Then there's the extea detergent contaminated water from all those washings that needs to be procced too.

Plus, instead of more oil being burned into the air, I prefer to see it made into plastic diapers. This is because nearly all diapers will get properly disposed of, and end up sequestering that carbon right back into the ground. And the wood pulp in disposables, yup that would have otherwise been burned too.

Now I'm not saying plastic diapers are good for the environment, but neither is cloth. If you really feel bad about both diaper types being bad for the environment, then do what I did and make your next car a hybrid or electric. Or better yet, invest in renewable energy to reduce your overall carbon footprint.

Whatever you decide, just don't dillude yourself into thinking cloth is environmentally friendly.

No sorry but that really doesn't hold up to any scrutiny at all. " cotton strips the land of nutrients and water" - both sustainable and releasable.

""Industry and trucking need to support it" same too for disposables, how do you think they get to the store?

How is oil that is burned into the air turned into plastic? And how does that plastic get disposed of?

Final argument is off piste but if you buy a car that is environmentally friendly why not buy nappies that you can use over and over again?

Or are you plain lazy?

Look after the planet as well as your bottom!

Xx

Using Life Cycle Assessments to Understand Cloth vs. Disposables
The study found that:

There is no significant difference between any of the environmental impacts of the disposable, home-use reusable and commercial laundry systems.
No system had superior environmental performance, although the life cycle stages that are the main source for these impacts are different for each system.
All three systems do not contribute substantially to overall solid waste totals.
the global warming and non-renewable resource depletion impact over one child’s diaper-wearing period (estimated at 2.5 years) is comparable to driving a car between 1,300 and 2,200 miles.

Source: http://www.diaperanswers.org/diapers-the-environment/cloth-vs-disposable-diapers/

This was a 2005 study. The changes in disposables since then to thinner diapers may now give disposables a slight edge.

If you want to decrease your environmental impact stop wearing diapers.

Kestrel, it's not like he's wrong, honey. Yeah, we do have choice here, but you don't seem to be respectful of others'. I mean, really? We're calling lazies? He gave you information you didn't have, and you went all Captain Planet ecoJW. Not an argument. At least Slomo presented one. How lazy is it to put forth the information he did, when someone else came behind him with information saying disposables get a slight edge? Isn't it lazier to just assume?
The jury is still out as to rather cloth is ecologically better, particularly because of the water required to launder them, among other things, but they're both bad.

For me, cloth is the better choice, economically, sensory wise, and psychologically. I have bad experiences with disposables.

I like knowing that everything in my diapers, rash preventative wipe solution, and the like, I got to pick. I don't have a problem with polyester, but I don't feel like they give me enough information about what's in super absorbent polymers. We're getting closer with an equivalent, called Zorb. If you dig, you'll find out all it is is the fabric fluff many people already trust, blended differently, and backed with stay dry polyester.

Last edited:
Kestrel said:
No sorry but that really doesn't hold up to any scrutiny at all. " cotton strips the land of nutrients and water" - both sustainable and releasable.

""Industry and trucking need to support it" same too for disposables, how do you think they get to the store?

How is oil that is burned into the air turned into plastic? And how does that plastic get disposed of?

Final argument is off piste but if you buy a car that is environmentally friendly why not buy nappies that you can use over and over again?

Or are you plain lazy?

Look after the planet as well as your bottom!

Xx

Uh, NO. Nitrates, potassium, and other fertilizers are a limited resource. Not to mention our water usage for cotton greatly exceeds the rate it naturally replenishes. By fact, our fesh water supply IS being deplinished- mostly by farming. And I haven't even gotten started with pesticides!

And I said the oil used in plastics is diverted oil that would have otherwise been burned (mostly in making fuel, or for heating). By turning that oil into plastic diapers, you are effictively removing it from the environment (as it is mostly all burried).

And like I already said. There are no diapers (nappies) that are environmentally friendly. Yes it would be nice if there was, but yet again, cloth isn't one of them. (Ps. Diapers made from bamboo "might" be a front runner here).

PaddedDeist said:
Well, if cotton is such an issue then perhaps hemp-based cloth would be better? I believe you can also make hemp-based plastics as well but I don't know if those are suitable for a diaper at this time.

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/hemp-vs-cotton-3-reasons-why-cotton-is-not-king

That is possible. Unfortunately hemp cloth isn't as absorbent so it's not as useable for diapers. We can even make plastic from peanut oil. Unfortunately the process isn't cheap so manufacturers don't offer more environmentally friendly options.

But it isn't an issue for me at least. When neither opion is a good one for the environment, you still go with what works best anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back