Wanting to proceed, unsure as to how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schwanensee said:
I can try and give some tips on dressing more feminine with a not-so-feminine body type. Though I probably should start by saying that I am biologically female, so apologies if anyone percieves this as insensitive, I'm just trying to help...
My figure leans more towards a masculine body type, with broad shoulders, wide calves and big hands, so if I dress in neutral clothes, people typically think I'm a boy. Thus, I have lots of experience how to accentuate my body one way or another with clothing.

Tops:
The neckline should show your collarbones. Many men's shirts go up right to your neck, which will make your shoulders look wider. Also don't be afraid to go for shirts with a defined waist: Men do have waists, it's usually the hips that are missing. If you have access to a sewing machine, don't be afraid to alter normal shirts. For t-shirts, the sleeves on men's shirts are often wider and longer, whilst women's sleeves tend to be slimmer. 3/4th sleeves can look elegant and make your wrists look slimmer.
For summer or more festive outfits, neckholder tops are great. They make your shoulders look less broad. There's also those blouses with the sleeves cut off and tapered in a little, those work great too. Again, if you have a sewing machine, you can easily DIY one from an old men's dress shirt.

Trousers
High waistlines are your friend. They will accentuate your waist (duh) and can even make your butt look bigger. Obviously skinny jeans look girlier, but that's also a matter of preference. I used to hate them cause they were always too tight on the calves, but nowadays a lot of them are stretchy and super comfortable.

Skirts
Again, choose ones that sit on your natural waistline. For length, if your legs are anything like mine, I would have them end a few centimetres above your knee or around your ankles (having them end right at my knee or in the middle of my calves makes my legs look like blocks, very unflattering.) Don't be afraid to shorten them a bit, you can even do that by hand, if they're too long on you. If they're sitting too low on the waist, you could try and insert an elastic into the waistband or take them in with a sewing machine. Also: The more volume, the better. Voluminous skirts will make your waist look smaller and your hips bigger.

Dresses
I would avoid bodycon dresses. Those look good on people with a very slim figure, but if your build is broader, they may not be that great. (unless you find one that you really love, which I have, but usually they're a no)
Again, dresses that accentuate the waist are great. Since my ribcage is quite broad, I usually dismiss the dresses where the waist begins on the ribs and search for ones that really sit on my natural waist. Flowy, wide skirts are still great, but you could also search for a more tunic-like dress to wear with leggins and wear a belt with it. Neckholder dresses also make your shoulders look very nice.

Hairstyle
No idea, i have short hair. Though my go-to "fancy" hairstyle is having everything swept back with some hair gel.

accesoires
I don't accesoirize much, so I'm not too sure about this one, but as people have said, maybe try a ring or a bracelet, or earrings if you're comfortable with that. I personally always wear a ring, but I prefer quite broad rings so that's maybe not the best advice. Apart from that: A nice scarf, a pretty belt, a cute hat can finish off your outfit nicely.

Makeup
I don't wear much of that, but if I do, it's more korean-style since that's more natural and cute (and beginner-friendly ^^"). Maybe try some mascara, there's even clear gel ones that are really subtle but are very comfortable to wear even when you're not used to it.

I hope none of this was insensitive, and you probably already knew a lot of it, but this is just my experience as a girl who has struggles with a not-so-girly figure all her life. There's a lot of subtle differences in clothing apart from "girls wear dresses and skirts, boys do not". I now make my own clothes most of the time, so my last advice would be to learn how to sew. You probably still have some "men's" clothing lying around which you could alter to your liking like I have done with my brother's old clothing so you don't have to buy that many new clothes.

I wish you all the happiness in the world :)

Thanks for the tips! I didn't actually know any of them >.> Lol. I've much to learn about clothes.

Check out Femme Secrets. It has a ton of really informative and useful fashion tips on just about every aspect of crossdressing.

Edit: Make sure to click menu then categories to get a quick idea of what's available.

Feminine is what makes you feel pretty, no matter what it is...IMO, of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back