Airline Baggage Fees Waived for “medical equipment”

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm90210

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Have you ever checked a bag for a commercial flight and had the fee waived because the contents were medical equipment? I recently discovered the airline I regularly use offers a fee exemption for any bags that exclusively have medical supplies in them. I essentially always travel with my CPAP and often with a good supply of diapers. Since discovering this rule, I pack all those items in a separate bag and get them checked through for free.

One time, the gate person quizzed me saying, “We will have to open it up and check to make sure there are no personal belongings...etc.” as kind of a threat. I didn’t bat an eyelash and told her that it’d be just fine.

Anyways, I’m going on a trip soon and plan to use this method. I often read people on here talking about having diapers shipped to their hotels, etc., which still might be a better solution for longer trips. But for anything under a week, and for someone who doesn’t wear full time, this seems like a great solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My future Service Dog, all his gear, all my mobility equipment, everything, get treated the same, because they're medical equipment.

I've never done this nor would I need to but this waiver has been written about on ADISC a number of times.

It does bare repeating though.

I've done it a few times. Just diapers and related supplies. I can confirm thry usally will want to check, just to make sure someone isn't abusing their generosity. Never had a problem with it either.

Slomo said:
I've done it a few times. Just diapers and related supplies. I can confirm thry usally will want to check, just to make sure someone isn't abusing their generosity. Never had a problem with it either.
Question, sir. Do you think the people who check would still see medical equipment, if all the vender you use had available, was Crinkles? Do you think some people might cause a problem with that, or is there a rule diapers = medical equipment regardless?

I could have got a medical waiver but fortunately even stuffed with my nappies and inco supplies as well as everything else our cases were under the weight limit so I didn't bother. I did wonder what the security staff would have said if our cases were opened

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Question, sir. Do you think the people who check would still see medical equipment, if all the vender you use had available, was Crinkles? Do you think some people might cause a problem with that, or is there a rule diapers = medical equipment regardless?

Every time I’ve declared a medical bag, it has been thoroughly checked to verify contents. I kind of doubt they’d raise an issue with the type of diapers per se- although the person checking might misunderstand abdl specific ones as not “necessary” medical equipment. With that being said, they’ll know it’s generally an embarrassing item - and I have a hard time imagining them coming back to argue with you about whether or not you require them medically lol. That’d be awkward for them as well as for you probably!

If it doesn’t bother you that someone will dig through your diapers, it’s a great policy the airlines have. I’ve never had them dig through my bag at the counter by the way - always behind after tagging the bag with a checked luggage bag tag.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:

The last times I flew I was still using confidry, which are all white. The agents that checked my bag before never batted an eye at them.

I do only use crinklz now though, but it's pretty easy to argue diapers are diapers regardless of any prints. And I am medically incontinent, so at least for me my crinklz ARE medical equipment.

If an airline agent doesn't want to loose their job over my diapers, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't push it. Though I may still get an odd look the next time I fly somewhere.

If you wish to not have the embarrassment at the airport just buy as you need and have them shipped to your hotel therefore no need to risk "lost baggage" or the "theft" of your items by airline or TSA or security staff when its out of your visual sight. I have had DiaperConn & XP Medical & Northshore do this for me. some hotels will charge a package handling fee one from recent memory is the Four Points by Sheraton in Revere Massachusetts "Logan Airport". They charged me 15 bucks for it. I said uh no you do not it is not listed on Sheraton's website any fees like this for package handling and they took it off the bill.
Speaking about medical things wonders where we get copies of the CD's of our X ray from the screening and where do we send our deductible to huh? And the results of the fondling we got at the checkpoint or in that "special room"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back