I wonder what would a adult sized pampers look lik? Adult sized pampers analyzations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kratox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
Info:
I know a lot of people would like pampers in adult sizes and it got me wondering. What would they actually look like compared to other diapers we currently have?

I still need help getting some more information so if you have time please feel free to fill this out:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSepws7NwI8OwrSdszEsYqpeEQS97OwPp1_PVuz7ddgQlGnyUw/viewform

How I got the results:
I got these measurements by analyzing many different things. I looked at how baby diapers fit and compared it to adults. I also analyzed how the different body parts grow over time from kid to adult. I analyzed torso, leg length, rise differences, waist increase, hip increase, and etc. Most of my measurements came based on not only those differences but also logically why things fit the way they did. Things like how wide the diaper would need to be, By how much does a pampers sag, and etc.

These results were not based on a simple x2 multiplier. I based each part off of analytical data I gathered. These results were designed to fit a small adult and will have a percent error in some.

Measurements:

These are not all measurements, i shortened it to not have a block of information. Look at the diagram if you want more info.
Measurement NamePampers size 7Adult size Pampers
Base width9"11.43" or 12" to be safe
Base length21.5"33" or 31"
Tapezone length2.2"3.2" (Could easily make 4" if you wanted)
Tapezone width7"8.5"
Padding length19 6/16"26.4" or 28.4"
padding width4 14/16"5.6" but probably should be 7"
Overhang (the gap at the edges after the flaps/panels).5"1" or 2"
Tape width1.753.9"
Tape Length1.102"

Diagram:
af60041debcefdd0810e852a14dbcd91.png

Issues:

• Actual number size:

I would be able to get a actual number size but I would require a lot of peoples input on their weight, what diaper fits them the best, measurements for all those diapers. I would only need this because pampers diapers are not based off of some scaling factor. Yes I know this because I personally have asked them before.
  • Diaper Sag:

Baby diapers ,before the new cruisers came out, always had some sag to them. Mainly because there is not as much support on the bottom half as it is for adults. Adult diapers not only support the hips and waist but somewhat pull on the bottom as well. When you look at a typical pampers or luvs diaper you can quickly see that it puts most of the pull towards the waist area and their diapers are designed to fit further up on the back than most adult diapers. If you wanted a replica though, you would want to keep part of this sag in it. It could help create a optical illusion for some body types.
  • Elastic:

If you want it to sag only when wet like old pampers did you need a stronger elastic. They do sell thicker elastics that should work but I would need to get actual data on how much strength they would have. I know some things would need to be changed to fit better but most things should be able to be left alone.
  • Largely different varying adult proportions:

I have not fully looked into all the varying adult sizes but I do feel that if there were larger sizes, it would require some sizes to be broken up. Although the longer tape flap length would help pull on the hip and waist area better, some people do have drastic differences in-between the two. This would mean that a size Medium might be split to two halfs.

Side notes:

Diaper length
I know some might argue that the length is to long but do keep in mind most baby diapers are designed to fit higher on the back. If you want a authentic look you would need it to be long. This is also one of the areas that I feel would need to be tested in order to better suit person to person and would end up with different sizings.

Diaper Width
12" might sound ridiculous but it was based on what could cover the butt the best and probably still needs adjustments. Also keep in mind the padding isn't that wide.

Padding dimensions

This would definitely change mainly because from what I have analyzed most adult diapers have a padding side of 7" in width and the results I got where about 5.6". This would need to be tested to see what would work best for what situation.

Prototype
I have actually made a prototype of these exact measurements and found that they fit exactly how I expected. There are some grips that would need to be changed but it is really trivial.

Questions:

What are some inputs on things you feel that should be changed? What do you feel about the length? Would you like anymore information for me to gather?

Last edited:
the thickness to simulate an 80s-90s diaper would make the thing way to expensive for a company to bother manufacturing it.
though if they did exist. id buy a few just try them

I really like the effort put in and I feel like that would be a very good start. The reason I think that design is so good is the padding width. One of the problems i find with adult diapers is the padding being all the way up to the leak guards and sometimes past. This, in my opinion, can help leaks because leak guards are only good for sudden surges but aren't made to be constantly wet. Having room between padding and leak guards also creates a more comfortable open area in the crotch. That being said i think those diapers would be great.

There are a few diaper brands missing--I could only give a size for the Northshore Supremes. I am normally in Tranquility ATNs where I wear a Large.

The tab isn't scaled up correctly. It would need to be much larger, probably closer to 5" wide.

Baby diapers can get away with just one tab at 1" wide because they have very, very small bodies. The single tab is enough to get a good snug fit at their waist and their legs.

Adults though, need much more tapping area to reach from the waist to the legs. And it makes sense too, as an adults body is easily 5 times larger than a babies body (if bigger still). This is why we would need so much more. Though manufacturers have already figured out it's easier and cheaper to provide two 1.5" wide tapes than it is to provide one huge 5" tape (or larger).

I don't think you can reasonably scale up a baby diaper's dimensions to fit an adult. The body shape just changes too much. I believe it's best to just stick with what others have done, and take a known good physical design for an adult diaper and make it look like the baby diaper you are looking for.

I personally think the best job of this was done by Rearz with their (single run of) Vintage Replica diapers. They were based on the Inspire/InControl shell (same as safari, princess, etc) but with a very lightweight baby print on the tape panel with an otherwise all-white shell. I'd like to see them make another run of these, but it's not looking good.

If your after some inspiration as to how a scaled up version of pampers could work I'd suggest getting a hold of some lindor ausonia elasticos, there where made in pampers english factory and sold in spain, portugal and possibly south america.

Absorbency wise there terrible, they might be made to take a rectangular booster, but they are constructed just like a pre caterpillar stretch baby dry.

Alternatively, the euro market attends adjustable has elastic side panels with one big tab per side, and the centre is pretty much just a rectangle, so similar to current infant products, these would be my go to daytime nappy if they made the side wings shorter.

These are both flawed products imo, but this would give you a good starting point to see where baby and adult diaper technologies meet.

bambinod said:
I don't think you can reasonably scale up a baby diaper's dimensions to fit an adult. The body shape just changes too much. I believe it's best to just stick with what others have done, and take a known good physical design for an adult diaper and make it look like the baby diaper you are looking for.

I personally think the best job of this was done by Rearz with their (single run of) Vintage Replica diapers. They were based on the Inspire/InControl shell (same as safari, princess, etc) but with a very lightweight baby print on the tape panel with an otherwise all-white shell. I'd like to see them make another run of these, but it's not looking good.

I think this is one of those things that a lot of people don't actually know and assume though. This is why I made a prototype to test out these measurements though too. From what I've seen it fits properly and the only thing it is missing is strong elastic , stretchy sides , and testing to change some minor things.

Slomo said:
The tab isn't scaled up correctly. It would need to be much larger, probably closer to 5" wide.

Baby diapers can get away with just one tab at 1" wide because they have very, very small bodies. The single tab is enough to get a good snug fit at their waist and their legs.

Adults though, need much more tapping area to reach from the waist to the legs. And it makes sense too, as an adults body is easily 5 times larger than a babies body (if bigger still). This is why we would need so much more. Though manufacturers have already figured out it's easier and cheaper to provide two 1.5" wide tapes than it is to provide one huge 5" tape (or larger).

Are you referring to the back tab , front tab, tapes, tapzone? Also some of those areas were for adhering like glue. Also The top is the back of the diaper and the bottom is the front. The front tabs wouldn't be that big and the back tabs are already like 7". The tapezone would differ between sizes. I based it all for me as of now and I am a size small. Most small diapers have a HUGE tape zone.

I like the idea and the thought put into it. Not sure if it can be done, but why not research it? If you want the design(s) put into better form than a hand drawn sketch, let me know. I've been using CAD for years, and it would be relatively simple to sketch it up in AutoCAD LT.

SirGorbachev said:
I like the idea and the thought put into it. Not sure if it can be done, but why not research it? If you want the design(s) put into better form than a hand drawn sketch, let me know. I've been using CAD for years, and it would be relatively simple to sketch it up in AutoCAD LT.

Thanks for the help but I've already begin on a better sketch using vectors. I also do have experience with 3d modeling so I could do that and use make human to get good measurements based off of the info I get back.

Can I just add my opinion on the length?

Rather than just scale up always keep in mind that Diapers shouldn’t cover the belly button. I get the higher up the back etc.

Btw I am very very happy with my ABU Vintage style diapers and hope Casey or someone equally as savvy uses what you are working on to make their own upscale modern diaper for AB/DL/ICs

kratox said:
I think this is one of those things that a lot of people don't actually know and assume though. This is why I made a prototype to test out these measurements though too. From what I've seen it fits properly and the only thing it is missing is strong elastic , stretchy sides , and testing to change some minor things.

Are you referring to the back tab , front tab, tapes, tapzone? Also some of those areas were for adhering like glue. Also The top is the back of the diaper and the bottom is the front. The front tabs wouldn't be that big and the back tabs are already like 7". The tapezone would differ between sizes. I based it all for me as of now and I am a size small. Most small diapers have a HUGE tape zone.

No, the tape itself. Sorry, tab was not the right word I should have used. You're confusing it with the side wings of the diaper. There is only one tape "tab" per side with your design (you have it at 4.3 inches, though honestly I was being conservative and believe it would need to be larger still). The tape landing zone on the front of the diaper would obviously be bigger still as well.

And yes, that would be stupid oversized for an adult. Again why manufactureres go with two tapes per side.

Argent said:
Can I just add my opinion on the length?

Rather than just scale up always keep in mind that Diapers shouldn’t cover the belly button. I get the higher up the back etc.

Btw I am very very happy with my ABU Vintage style diapers and hope Casey or someone equally as savvy uses what you are working on to make their own upscale modern diaper for AB/DL/ICs

I actually do want mine to go above the belly button, and like my tapes higher. That's why the Dry 24/7's are better suited for me. I find the shorter fit ones to be uncomfortable. Thank you for reading this.

Ooh, good point. Diapers are designed, and intended to have enough padding up front to absorb pee without leaking. If they don't extend up high enough then you will have leaking over the top (or have to wear a tight diaper, forcing you to point down among things to compensate for using one size too small)

The traditional design of even baby diapers are supposed to come up near or at the belly button (though with newborns this is an exception as the diaper should come up just under it).

The same applies for adults, and is why they are measured to fit based on our waist line. And guess where your waist line is. Just above the belly button. (Note, when you bent to the side a natural crease will form in your skin. That's your waist line, though if you have a gut/love handels that crease will be pushed up above your natural waist line- so this can be deceivingly high and not actually right).

Though of course, diapers are made to fit a range of waist sizes. As such, the same diaper may not extend all the way up on some, maybe even only extending to just below the belly button. That's why we say as a general rule of thumb it should exctend up near the belly button.

I'm very glad to see that this idea of an adult-sized Pampers is getting attention. I think the result would actually be different enough from ABU's SDK (the closest thing I've yet encountered to an adult Pampers) to merit its own existence. Here are a few more assorted, long-winded thoughts I've gathered in regard to designing and realizing such an idea.

And yes, as I think over this I realize that I'm postulating what feels like the Linux of AB/DL merchandise -- the open-source, collaborative, community-built alternative to closed-source diapers. (Although if it were to truly follow that model, I guess we would each freely obtain our own SAP, plastic, artwork, wood pulp, and elastic, and we'd be responsible for assembling our own customized diapers. Too bad we don't yet have the ability to create modular undergarments like that.)

1. Thanks to the commenters above for the great work on collecting measurement data, and on having 2D and even 3D drafting capabilities. I think a 3D model would help tremendously in figuring out how the end product might fit. However, it's probably going to demand either a lot of data on how the diaper flexes and conforms to the body, or a bunch of best-guess assumptions that might not be completely accurate. Maybe some of this data can be gathered by measuring how existing diapers mold to our bodies? Anyway, one might want to try a couple different design variations and maybe make up some fabric or plastic prototypes to see how they actually fit…

2. I feel like I haven't seen much attention given to another very important point. When we say, "Oh, let's make a scaled-up version of a baby diaper," I often see no clear indication of exactly what size of baby diaper is being imitated. Are we scaling up a size 7 Pampers, or a size 1 Huggies? If it will be the former, why? Personally, despite the popularity of the Pampers 7 or Luvs 6, I'd strongly advocate for scaling up a smaller size of Huggies or Pampers -- maybe size 1 or 2 at the most. I feel that doing this will result in a diaper that will match the goals most seem to have in mind when asking for a scaled-up Pampers: thickness, bulk, and a "babyish fit" (whatever the heck that is).

Why a smaller size? Think about it for a bit. I can provide only impressionistic and unverified claims at this point since I don't have such small diapers on hand, but I'll expostulate anyway. When you compare the sizes of modern baby diapers, it's mainly the length that changes, along with the width to a lesser extent. By the time you get to a size 7, the proportions of modern baby diapers generally seem to have shifted in favor of a long, narrow strip pulled between the legs, and away from something that is wide enough to wrap around the entire buttocks and upper thighs, and that more than adequately covers a baby's entire bottom. (If it's unclear what I mean, just think about the difference in the appearance of a diapered six-month old's bum versus that of a three-year-old, and try to pin down what those differences are. Even more to the point, look for photos of infants wearing disposables in the late 80s or early 90s, and compare them to a modern kid in a Pampers 7. Isn't there rather a big difference?)

Furthermore, in my experience there's little appreciable difference in a modern baby diaper's thickness as one moves from size 1 to size 6 or 7. If you scale up a Pampers size 7 -- which according to my measurements is about 19 to 20 inches front to back -- to medium-size adult proportions, for instance, you're only going to multiply everything by about 1.5 (since I think most medium AB/DL diapers are in the neighborhood of 30" front to back). And if a Pampers 7's thickness is between 3/8" and 1/2" when doubled over (depending on how hard you compress it), when scaled up to medium adult size by a factor of 1.5 the end result is still not going to be any thicker than 3/4" doubled over. If you scale up a size 1 or 2 baby diaper, though -- which is probably about 11 or 12" front to back and, we're assuming, the same thickness -- now you're suddenly looking at a thickness of nearly three times the original: somewhere between 1 and 1.5" doubled over. That's definitely much more likely to provide the bulk and waddle that many of us are looking for in an adult-sized Pampers.

3. Now, some people here like ArchTopK have already advocated for a scaled-up version of the extra-thick, bulky-looking Pampers from the 80s. (See link to a commercial for these things here.) I think this would be an excellent idea to run with as well, particularly if a vintage specimen could be obtained for getting hard measurements. From appearances in the linked video, its form was actually close to the hourglass shape of adult diapers currently being made, rather than the basically rectangular shape of the padding of modern baby diapers. The main differences between a scaled-up version of an 80s Pampers and modern adult diapers appear to be that the absorbent padding would go all the way out to the edges, that the curve of the hourglass around the legs would be longer, and that the thickness would be substantially greater. Judging by my own baby photos -- yes, I was an 80's baby who wore those plastic-backed Pampers -- they were definitely thick and tended to round out the bottom substantially.

4. Of course, scaling up is not very straightforward. The problem of determining how "typical" body proportions change from infancy to adulthood is intriguing and probably much more complex than first appears. However, there has been a lot of work done on this already for the clothing industry. Apparently there are a number of ISO standards for standard clothing sizes (ISO 8559-1, 2, and 3 are the most recent, I believe), and there are also US standards like ASTM D6240-98 and ASTM D5585-11. I'd suggest comparing some of these adult standards to CS-151-50, which is a US standard specifically focused on infants, babies, toddlers, and children's clothing. Such a comparison should shed some light on how the (admittedly mythological) "average" human body changes from infancy to adulthood, and might allow for the creation of a variable scaling ratio, so that scaling up a baby diaper might involve, say, scaling the length by 2.5 times but the width between the legs or the height of the standing leak guards by 3.5. Not all of these clothing standards are freely available online, but Sizes.com seems to have a number of them for download here.

5. A key component of this idea (shall we call it Operation Engorgio?) is the panel artwork. (Note that in the spirit of vintage diaper recreation, I am forgoing the idea of all-over prints or shading.) Naturally for a scaled-up Pampers you're going to need to somehow scale up and reproduce similar artwork, but it also needs to be independent of any ties to corporations like Kimberly-Clark, Disney, et al. and hopefully royalty-free. Fortunately, there are so many of us around the world that I'm positive there must be some very skilled AB/DL artists or cartoonists who might be willing to volunteer their creativity and time to the project… Maybe someone could start a design contest to pick three or four winning sets of diaper artwork? And maybe -- just to avoid the criticism some have voiced about ABU designs being predominantly furry, as well as to avoid confusion or design infringement -- they could purposely include not-so-furry critters like gators, ducklings, chicks, lambs, giraffes, butterflies, ladybugs, whales… Or even stars, flowers, hearts, moons, numbers, letters, blocks, cartoon babies… There are so many possibilities!

6. Work would need to be done on the taping system: whether to use one or two tapes, and whether to use the stretchy, refastenable taping system we see in Bambino Magnifico et al., or else to stick (pun intended) with the traditional adhesive tapes on a plastic panel. Regarding the former topic, many seem to like the single-tape idea -- as do I -- but I must admit that in my personal experience a double-tape system is typically better at preventing leaks. As for the new refastenable system as implemented by Tykables and Bambino, it's amazingly useful, durable, and comfortable -- but it's also opposed to the whole vintage aesthetic this project aims at. It's the whole form vs. function debate, and I don't know which is the better alternative. If forced to choose, I'd probably choose tapes for their authenticity, but ensure that they were as durable as possible, and that the diaper would have a strong landing zone that would facilitate a few refastenings.

7. Concepts are great, but they're just pipe dreams until they can be made. Perhaps if a compelling case and a sound design could be created, an AB/DL supplier could be persuaded to take the risk and start working with a Chinese manufacturer to make them a reality. How about crowdfunding via Kickstarter, GoFundMe, or Indiegogo to get enough scraped together to minimize the financial risk?

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes
https://sizes.com/library/USA/Standards/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBiRJztQPMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back