Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu, what's everyone's thought?

Default Swine Flu, what's everyone's thought?

K,

I've been watching a lot of stuff on network news, and cable news about this Swine Flu epidemic. I've NEVER seen anything like this in my life. To me, this reminds me of a bad movie, and it also reminds me a HELL of a lot of the opening part of Stephen King's The Stand.

In The Stand, the novel and the miniseries opens with a flu outbreak but that was through a virus created by the US military. This is not fiction this time around, it's reality.

This also reminds me of the 1990's movie Outbreak as well. The media has been going way overboard on it, and I don't know what to make of it all. I was wondering if anyone else like me feels like they've woken up to one hell of a bad fuckin' nightmare?

My hope is that interstate travel in the US is not suspended before Mother's Day 'cause I REALLY wanna see my mom and dad that weekend. I don't see them often.

WildThing121675

BabyWolf

The media is out of control. Frankly, if the media did and said a lot of the things it does now back in the 1950's, there would be a treason or sedition investigation, or they would be charged with inciting a panic.

My opinion: it's nothing to panic about. It responds to conventional flu treatments like Tamiflu. It's just a slightly stronger than average flu. In the United States, where public health and sanitation knowledge is high, the odds of it inflicting major damage are slim. Where such flus can pose a major threat are in poor and poorly-educated nations, where they have neither the knowledge nor the infrastructure to properly stop its advance. Places like Mexico and Central and South America are likely to be hit hard. Granted, Mexico did the right thing: they immediately closed all schools and restricted many other tightly-packed gatherings of people. That was the absolute smartest thing they could have done with the resources they have available.

Very true.

I guess my problem is that it reminds me of so many movies, and novels that it's like seeing one of those come to life.

I never thought I would see something like this come to life like this. I've read a lot of novels about outbreaks, and such, and seen stuff on TV.

To me, this reminds me of a lot of those movies done like a fake news broadcast such as 'War of The Worlds', 'Special Bulletin' from 1983, and also from that era, 'Countdown To Looking Glass'. Just kinda makes you think. I had no idea it would get THIS bad this fast.

Makes you wonder how bad this will get before it gets better.

WildThing121675

That was why I made the post

"And I saw when He opened the 6th Seal, and a great earthquake occurred, and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became as blood, and the stars of the sky fell to the earth...and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth and the great men and the chiliarchs and the rich men and the strong men and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, and they said to the mountains and to the rocks, 'Fall on us and hide us from the face of the one sitting on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb, because the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand"
    Revelations (6:12-17)

Now we have two recorded deaths in this country, though I think the news said that 150,000 people in the U.S. die every year from the flu. At my school we will start our SOL testing the second week in May. I wonder what would happen if we get hit by the swine flu at about that time. Would they close the school and just send everyone home for the year? Taking the SOL's are state mandated, so I suppose we would have to go back to school when the epidemic was over. Man would that suck!

Butterfly Mage

I think humanity is extremely overdue for a massive population adjustment. It hasn't really had one since the Black Plague. But right now the world is so overpopulated that humanity is essentially stripping the world bare.

It would be better to have some plague reduce the world's population by 40-60% than to have the biosphere become so compromised that human life drops by 90% due to starvation.

If the population were cut in half, it would also have the effect of radically raising wages and lowering unemployment, since there would then be more jobs than people (at least that's how it worked out at the end of the Black Plague).

I'm not actually wishing for half the world to die. But given the choice of half the people dying versus an ecological collapse that kills almost everyone, I'd choose the lesser of two evils.

Default Swine Flu, what's everyone's thought? Bring out your dead!

:bunny:Bring out your dead! Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Scene 2

'Bring out your dead!'

[thud]
    [clang]
    CART MASTER:
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]

Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    [cough cough...]
    [clang]
    [...cough cough]
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead! Ninepence.
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out...
    [rewr!]
    ...your dead!
    [rewr!]
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    CUSTOMER:
    Here's one.

CART MASTER:
    Ninepence.
    DEAD PERSON:
    I'm not dead!
    CART MASTER:
    What?
    CUSTOMER:
    Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
    DEAD PERSON:
    I'm not dead!
    CART MASTER:
    'Ere. He says he's not dead!
    CUSTOMER:
    Yes, he is.
    DEAD PERSON:
    I'm not!
    CART MASTER:
    He isn't?
    CUSTOMER:
    Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.
    DEAD PERSON:
    I'm getting better!
    CUSTOMER:
    No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.
    CART MASTER:
    Oh, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
    DEAD PERSON:
    I don't want to go on the cart!
    CUSTOMER:
    Oh, don't be such a baby.
    CART MASTER:
    I can't take him.
    DEAD PERSON:
    I feel fine!
    CUSTOMER:
    Well, do us a favour.
    CART MASTER:
    I can't.
    CUSTOMER:
    Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
    CART MASTER:
    No, I've got to go to the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
    CUSTOMER:
    Well, when's your next round?
    CART MASTER:
    Thursday.
    DEAD PERSON:
    I think I'll go for a walk.
    CUSTOMER:
    You're not fooling anyone, you know. Look. Isn't there something you can do?
    DEAD PERSON: [singing]
    I feel happy. I feel happy.
    [whop]
    CUSTOMER:
    Ah, thanks very much.
    CART MASTER:
    Not at all. See you on Thursday.
    CUSTOMER:
    Right. All right.
    [howl]
    [clop clop clop]
    Who's that, then?
    CART MASTER:
    I dunno. Must be a king.
    CUSTOMER:
    Why?
    CART MASTER:
    He hasn't got shit all over him.

This is life imitating art. :bunny:

Only heard about it due to a few mentions on the internet.

Apparently it's big news, but I can't watch the news so.

Although they're sending leaflets out here next week so I guess it's real. Not going to lose any sleep though.

Darkfinn

IMHO... this is all a reflection on humanity's overreliance on antibacterial everything to fight germs. Soaps, wipes, hand sanitizers, etc. These things kill 99.9% of all germs.

Great... right? WRONG!

That 99.9% means that .1% of germs are left over... the .1% that are already immune to the antibiotics. So only the strongest ones are left to multiply. This is how we end up with new mutant killer viruses and infections that are immune to all antibiotics. Maybe the common cold bug could have killed the Swine Flu virus... but since we've practically eradicated the common cold there is no competition for the Swine Flu... and it takes over.

This is the exact reason that I avoid things that are branded "antibacterial". The human immune system is an amazing and powerful thing... but like any good warrior it learns from experience. If you are never exposed to any germs because you sterilize your environment every day your immune system is going to be weak... and viruses are going to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Now we have two recorded deaths in this country, though I think the news said that 150,000 people in the U.S. die every year from the flu. At my school we will start our SOL testing the second week in May. I wonder what would happen if we get hit by the swine flu at about that time. Would they close the school and just send everyone home for the year? Taking the SOL's are state mandated, so I suppose we would have to go back to school when the epidemic was over. Man would that suck!
    One confirmed death (a child from Mexico brought to Texas for treatment) and it is actually 36,000 deaths from flu and flu complications (pneumonia mostly) annually.

I do believe that this is going to reach epidemic proportions, but I also believe that the media is going a little to far with it.